• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

I'm dissappointed with England, 5-0 - McGrath

Dasa

benchmark00 said:
Within reason and within the sections he has control over, yes. I'm not saying he can come out and say, for example, racist comments, that's just stupid. This sort of thing works for McGrath, and until it stops working, he can say whatever he wants. Look forward to him naming his bunnys for this series.
That makes sense.

Poker Boy

About Gatting - former players pontificate all the time(earlier this year Terry Alderman said McGrath was finished) but the difference is they don't have to "walk the walk" - and it was Warne who moaned at Australia's coach(upset because the boot camp meant he missed some Hampshire matches?)

Burgey

GeraintIsMyHero said:
Andrew Flintoff's the world's greatest player.....
Is he?

It's a big call to make given that he dominated one series (in which he played magnificently), has been injured almost the whole time since, is about to come back as a batsman and is yet to play at a level comensurate with his 2005 Ashes form for a lengthy period of time. Wouldn't he have to play for a reasonable period at a level consistent with his 05 form to be regarded as the world's greatest player? Not necessarily get those results, but at least play to that level?

It would be like saying that in 2001 VVS Laxman was the greatest player in the world because he had a dominant sries at home against Australia.

Mind you, Fred's a fine player and a great sportsman as he demonstrated last year after Edgbaston.

I'm not prepard to say he's the greatest player in the world yet, but I still wish he was an Aussie!!!

Burgey

UncleTheOne said:
Not the worlds greatest, but he could be labeled MVP in the world.
Yeah. Happy to run with that. He's so great to watch, apart from what he brings to the team.

archie mac

Why even bother with McGrath and his predictions? They are the same every series, "I think we will win all of the Tests, bar rain"

"I am going to target blah, blah, I have noticed a weakness"

"The other team, have a lot of problems"

As soon as I see the headline in the paper "McGrath predicts" I skip straight to the footy section. 8-)

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Burgey said:
Is he?

It's a big call to make given that he dominated one series (in which he played magnificently), has been injured almost the whole time since, is about to come back as a batsman and is yet to play at a level comensurate with his 2005 Ashes form for a lengthy period of time.
One could argue that he was only continuing his past form during the Ashes - seeing as he's averagin about 40-27 over the last 40 Tests...

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
marc71178 said:
One could argue that he was only continuing his past form during the Ashes - seeing as he's averagin about 40-27 over the last 40 Tests...

That still doesn't make him the greatest player. I'd much rather have a player just average 80 with the bat (like Hussey) or 18 with the ball. The thing that makes Freddie so good is the same thing that makes the Indian team so bad: clutch performances. Come up big when you need it the most.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
He averaged 52 with the bat and 30 with the ball in India, that's a pretty damn good series, and his performances since the South Africa series in 2003 have generally been top notch. I'd rather have Flintoff in my team than someone like Hussey, I really would. The value of someone who averages what Freddie does in recent years with bat and ball cannot be underestimated.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
GeraintIsMyHero said:
He averaged 52 with the bat and 30 with the ball in India, that's a pretty damn good series, and his performances since the South Africa series in 2003 have generally been top notch. I'd rather have Flintoff in my team than someone like Hussey, I really would. The value of someone who averages what Freddie does in recent years with bat and ball cannot be underestimated.

So basically, he averages as much as Sreesanth with the ball and like Kaif with the bat. I guess, but I'd still rather have Hussey or McGrath if you go by only performances. The reason I'd have Freddie over Hussey is due to his proven record of coming up big when it counts. Though, I still wouldn't take him over McGrath.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Flintoff's bowling average would be a lot lower if he wasn't such a warrior. He just bowls and bowls, he bowls for so long that cows are actually leaving home again. A true team player, not interested in averages, merely results.

UncleTheOne

GeraintIsMyHero said:
Flintoff's bowling average would be a lot lower if he wasn't such a warrior. He just bowls and bowls, he bowls for so long that cows are actually leaving home again. A true team player, not interested in averages, merely results.
Also his averages over the past two and a half years or so are more of a real reflection of his ability.

grecian

UncleTheOne said:
Also his averages over the past two and a half years or so are more of a real reflection of his ability.
Indeed, ignore the first few years, and hes a strike-bowler.

Matt79

Global Moderator
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Glenn McGrath is at it again, proclaiming Australia will win the forthcoming Ashes series 5-0 despite being left red-faced after the same prediction 18 months ago in England.

McGrath, who is continuing his return to action after taking time out of the game to care for his wife, refused to concede any chance for England in the series that starts on November 23 in Brisbane.

"I reckon it will be 5-0 this time, as well,'' he said in the Mail on Sunday. "To say anything else would be negative. If we're going to win 2-1, or 3-2, which games are we going to lose?'' Last time around he said rain would be the only factor that would stop Australia winning all five Tests.

Now he says he is disappointed at the current England side, claiming that they are a lesser unit than during the last Ashes series when Michael Vaughan, Simon Jones and Ashley Giles - who have since had long-term injuries - played crucial roles. He also claims that it was his injuries in the last series, which forced him to miss Australia's two defeats at Edgbaston and Trent Bridge, which were the deciding issue.

"England are not as strong as they were last year,'' he added. "But Australia are a lot stronger. And I'm fit, unlike last time. Put it this way, in the three Tests I played in last time, we drew two and won one.

"England are not the same team as they were. I'm disappointed in them. I expected them to kick on after beating us and conquer the world but it just goes to show how losing players through injury can unsettle the side.''

Typically, McGrath then proceeded to dissect the England team and pinpoint where he believes they will struggle during the series. "Michael Vaughan and Simon Jones are huge losses for them. There are doubts over the fitness of Freddie Flintoff, Steve Harmison and Ashley Giles, while things are not too good for Marcus Trescothick.

"They have new guys who have done well but have never played in the Ashes series, let alone one in Australia. We'll see how the likes of Alastair Cook get on down here and we'll try and open up old wounds with Ian Bell."

To round off his blow-by-blow account of the opposition he downplayed the problems Australia could face from Kevin Pietersen and Monty Panesar, who both played vital roles for England during their series win against Pakistan.

"Pietersen will find a second season in international cricket is always harder than the first and I'm sure our batsmen will plan to get after Monty Panesar. As for me, I'll be paying attention to their openers, and to their new boys.''

The contest between McGrath and England's batsmen will start before the opening Test at Brisbane after he revealed he'll be lining up for New South Wales, who play England in a warm-up match at the SCG starting on November 12.

"I'm going to the Champions Trophy at 75-80 percent and believe that by the time I play for New South Wales against England in the tour game before the first Test I'll be up to 90 percent.

"That should give me the perfect opportunity to fine-tune and be completely ready for the start of the Ashes."
Meh, what did you expect? His disregard for his fellow professionals gets tedious after a while.
I didn't really expect anything else from him really.

Looks like he'll be right after all! :)

The Sean

Good call Pidge. He had to get one of these right eventually, so his final prediction coming true (assuming it will, which is a decent enough assumption to make at this point) is a nice way to finish. :)