• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Imran v Hadlee v Miller

John1990

It surprises me so many pick Hobbs and Hutton here. Sutcliffe averaged over 60 his entire test career

kyear2

And was still the no. 2 opener. Batted horrendously slowly and played his entire career in the old one laws and used it to his advantage.

Hobbs is known as the master and in my opinion Hutton was the best opener ever. He played in the modern post war era. He faced much better bowlers than Hobbs and Sutcliffe and had a good technique that would translate to today's game.

Last edited:

GoodAreasShane

Since the age of 35, From the start of the 2011 season, as an all-rounder Darren Stevens figures are mightily impressive.

6792 runs@35.74 H.S. 237, 13 cent, 37 fifties
423 wickets@22.72, Best 8-75, 5 wkts innings 26, 10 wkts match 1.

Makes you wonder what he could have done if he bowled in his younger days. Probably deserved a few one day games, considering the likes of Paul Franks, Alex Louden, Scott Borthwick, Stuart Meaker & Stephen Parry all got games.

And i saw his 8-75 v Leic At Canterbury in August 2017 out of a total of 350. Pure class.

One other all-rounder who i forgot to mention in my previous post who is forgotten is Maurice Tate.
Good enough to score 1198 runs@25.48 with a century and 155 wickets@26.16. Batted very low in the order for England, but for his county Sussex, usually batted in the top 4, over 20000 runs,sometimes even opening with Ted Bowley. Over 2500 first-class wickets as well.
Stevens is the living embodiment of everything wrong with the English game

TheJediBrah

It's true.

Still think Steyn is a must over Imran and tbh I am playing Sobers just as a batsman.
So not quite as all in on the all rounder wagon lol.
Steyn is well behind a few, Marshall and McGrath at least. Then the likes of Hadlee, Imran, Wasim, Davidson etc are at least just about as good but much better with the bat. Steyn would be pushing for a 2nd XI ATG place maybe.

kyear2

Steyn is well behind a few, Marshall and McGrath at least. Then the likes of Hadlee, Imran, Wasim, Davidson etc are at least just about as good but much better with the bat. Steyn would be pushing for a 2nd XI ATG place maybe.
We can agree to disagree, he is firmly in my top 5. Imran, Davidson, Imran and Akram I don't think make my top 10.

And I think my XI has more than enough batting. Hadlee, Marshall and Warne are more than sufficient