• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Jogging/running

vcs

I do 10 km in about 70 minutes (can't run all the way through, maybe 30-35 minutes followed by alternate jogs/walking). I want to get under an hour for 10 km.

Last year I did a half marathon in about 2 and a half hours which I was pretty pleased with.

indiaholic

Just cannot do it. When I used to go to coaching for cricket, running was always the hoop I had to jump through to get through to the actual playing. It somehow stuck in my psyche and I find it very difficult to do now. Due to this, my workouts were restricted to just strength training. Started doing some HIIT sprints recently. Way more fun.

zorax

likes this
I love to run just have really ****ty stamina.

I'd probably run more if the air wasn't so terrible in HK. Treadmills aren't the same.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
I can run for reasonable distances if I do it as part of a game/sport etc... But **** running for the sake of running. Get bored after a handful of minutes.

cpr

Waiting for it to stop being so ****ing cold before I start back up again.

HeathDavisSpeed

Love cross country running, especially if it's wet. Knees are a bit buggered though, and my pace is well down on my youth. This time last year, I was doing 10km in about 52 minutes. This year, I'm doing 5km in 25 minutes but not running anywhere near as much. Running 10km in 50 minutes and keeping my fitness at about that level is my kind of aim. When I was 20ish, I ran 1,500m in 4:31 as my record, but that's a helluva long time ago now!

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
I run with a group after work, that does help with motivation.

If you can't really run for the whole 10k then I think you need to do some other sort of cardio to prepare yourself (slow cycling, long walks even), or you need to have a look at your running technique.

Spikey

I can run for reasonable distances if I do it as part of a game/sport etc... But **** running for the sake of running. Get bored after a handful of minutes.
yeah that's it for me too. I'd rather do repeat sprints than jogging

cpr

I run with a group after work, that does help with motivation.

If you can't really run for the whole 10k then I think you need to do some other sort of cardio to prepare yourself (slow cycling, long walks even), or you need to have a look at your running technique.

Techniques definitely a thing, as is getting the right footwear, but TBH some of us are that unfit that we need to work upto a basic again....

cpr

Love cross country running, especially if it's wet. Knees are a bit buggered though, and my pace is well down on my youth. This time last year, I was doing 10km in about 52 minutes. This year, I'm doing 5km in 25 minutes but not running anywhere near as much. Running 10km in 50 minutes and keeping my fitness at about that level is my kind of aim. When I was 20ish, I ran 1,500m in 4:31 as my record, but that's a helluva long time ago now!

I remember the days when I could easily do sub 5 minute miles.they were about 10 years ago now alas. Think at a push I might be able to push a 5:30-5:45 for 1k now... but the next K would take about 8-9:00

ripper868

I generally go at about 4:30-4:45/km according to runkeeper. Was running about 50k a week a few years back, now it's more like 25, and only when I want to get out of the house...Pace has stayed the same, staying power has dramatically declined.

Burner

In school I won gold twice in the 1500 meter race. Both times there were about 10 participants including myself with no training whatsoever. What I've learned is that the key to win is to look as confident as you can. Show no weakness or tiredness. For me it was about beating the opponents, not the race. Both times if I had run 10 meter more than the 1500 I actually ran, I would have died. But if you, from the stands, actually saw me running, you would think that I was an olympic champion who's done it a thousand times before.

The second time I ran, there was another guy adopting the same method as me. The only thing you can do then is to hope that he breaks first. When both of us were running alongside at the same pace, I even contemplated if he was actually good, if he had actually done it before, but even then I never broke my act. Thankfully for me, he must have contemplated the same thing because in the last round, he quit.

ripper868

Rare photo of Burner at the conclusion of his 1500m race - proof he indeed looked like an olympian.

fredfertang

The fertang left knee is totally ****ed as a legacy of running on roads between the ages of 20 and 30 - my advice is stick to cross country and get the best shoes you can afford

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
Techniques definitely a thing, as is getting the right footwear, but TBH some of us are that unfit that we need to work upto a basic again....
Yeah I suppose being built like a beanpole means I have a really low base fitness level required to run.

That said, a year ago I was dropping off the group after 5km and now I can do 5:00/km for an hour. I like the self-control required to not blow yourself to pieces after half a mile.

superkingdave

Usually start attempting to run when the nights get lighter, tend to have peak fitness at two points, may just after football season finishes when I usually have a few weeks of attempting to keep myself in shape before I cbf then September/October after I start back at football before I get SAD. Don't do treadmills so only running on the road and never cbf to train for anything more than a 10k, found it easier doing a quick 5k when I got in from work and trying to beat my Pb all the time kept motivation up. Could do about 19:30 5k and 41:30 10k a couple of years ago but dread to think what I would manage now.