• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Learning to play Cricket

nicegoat

Right.

I’ve never had the opportunity to play cricket, but I’d like to.

So I looked up some local cricket clubs, and found a few. But I can’t find any information about starting or learning as an adult; everything seems to be set up for children and experienced adults.

If I go down to one of these cricket clubs will they be able provide coaching for an adult beginner?

I was hoping you lot could give me some advice :)

(A bit about myself: I’m in my 20’s, am fit, have played other sports to a reasonably high level, live in England)

Thanks

andmark

Clubs are always looking for new members, so they'd have you very happily. The teams often have a system of first elevens, second elevens etc with the (in this case) second elevens being less capable than the firsts, whilst if there's a third eleven, they'll be less capable than the other two. Some teams even play Sunday friendly matches where you'll get a mixture of adults and children playing with mixed abilities. These occasions can be so friendly that my disabled brother opened the batting in one match. The result is that you should be able to get into a team at adult beginner level by playing in one of the lower elevens and there'll be coaching during the week so you'll be able to learn the skills.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Having captained my club’s 3rd XI for the last couple of years, there are points in the season where the selection policy becomes a case of pressganging the parents of your promising juniors, regardless of whether they have ever played before. I had a game this summer with eight junior players, five debuts for the club, two 12-year-olds opening the bowling and an entire XI with senior experience put together than I had... and I’ve only been playing for the club three seasons myself!

Echoing Mark’s point, a good club is much more than its 1st XI or its AllStars, it will find a place for everyone; yes, there will be some characters who might turn up their nose at a new recruit, but for every one of them there will be plenty more who’ll see you right.

SLA

There WILL be suitable clubs around, but it might not be immediately apparent which they are. Some clubs might offer some limited free coaching, others might offer games at a very low standard that would be suitable for a beginner. These might not be the same places.

TBH, I wouldn't worry about coaching initially. Just watch a few games until you feel like you know the rules, and then find a club that offers the absolute lowest standard of cricket you can find, and just play a few games, and get stuck into the fielding and learning the tactics and nuances of the game. You'll probably get an occasional bat, and if you've got decent hand-eye, you'll probably do ok.

After a season, maybe think about paying for a couple of coaching sessions - you'll get far more out of it having had a bit of a go first.

Karan Bradman

I am 29 year old for chennai city, Tamil Nadu state India looking to start a cricket career I have never played cricket at any level at least wanted to play in a club level cricket I needed updated information on joining club level cricket coaching in chennai city