• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

long term Australian XI

Burgey

Hasn't Lyon been the most consistent bowler we've had this series? I haven't seen a lot of the matches and they've been bowling to crap totals, but I've thought he's bowled ok from what I've seen. Has kept things pretty tight and picked up decent returns along the way.

Compton

Never understood why Lyon has always had a question mark next to his name.

He's no Shane Warne, but he's absolutely good enough to be a frontline spinner in test cricket.

Ahmed probably blew his chance of getting in the test side by getting battered in the tour matches. When Australia go two spinners they'll pick Agar. He's far younger, and a much better batsman.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Warner
:(
Smith
Smarsh (yeah he's a bit crap but he'll do for a couple of years)
No idea
MMarsh
Nevill
Starc
Johnson/Siddle*
Lyon
Hazlewood

*I'll explain this one: Johnson would be my first choice for now, particularly in Australia. However, should he call it a day/the selectors decide to move on then I think there's a lot of value in Siddle as a dependable bowler with a lot of Test experience while the selectors figure out how to get Cummins playing without breaking him. Once Cummins gets a decent Shield season under his belt, possibly even a County stint along with the odd Test here and there, Starc and Hazlewood are 10-15 Tests more experienced (and hopefully Starc will have developed a 3rd stock ball to go with his "magic full swinging ball" and "pie" that are his 2 stock deliveries) and Siddle can be thanked, moved aside for Cummins and kept around the team as an experienced backup that the younger, better quicks can look up to and learn from.

flibbertyjibber

Hasn't Lyon been the most consistent bowler we've had this series? I haven't seen a lot of the matches and they've been bowling to crap totals, but I've thought he's bowled ok from what I've seen. Has kept things pretty tight and picked up decent returns along the way.
Been comfortably the best bowler in your side. The only reliable one all series and the only one who comes out of it with an enhanced reputation. Not his fault the batting failed so often to leave him with a thankless task. Has done all he could and impressed me this series.

social

Warner
Smith
No idea
MMarsh
Nevill
Starc
Johnson/Siddle*
Lyon
Hazlewood

*I'll explain this one: Johnson would be my first choice for now, particularly in Australia. However, should he call it a day/the selectors decide to move on then I think there's a lot of value in Siddle as a dependable bowler with a lot of Test experience while the selectors figure out how to get Cummins playing without breaking him. Once Cummins gets a decent Shield season under his belt, possibly even a County stint along with the odd Test here and there, Starc and Hazlewood are 10-15 Tests more experienced (and hopefully Starc will have developed a 3rd stock ball to go with his "magic full swinging ball" and "pie" that are his 2 stock deliveries) and Siddle can be thanked, moved aside for Cummins and kept around the team as an experienced backup that the younger, better quicks can look up to and learn from.
Solid post

Oz have a number of players that could potentially develop into solid/outstanding test cricketers (e.g. Burns, Lynn, Pattinson, Cummins, MMarsh) but hard heads are in short supply

BUT please no SMarsh - tried and failed

TheJediBrah

You can't drop Lyon now, but O'Keefe really should have been playing for the last 5-6 years at least had the selectors not had some inexplicable grudge against him

Valer

Warner
Smith
No idea
MMarsh
Nevill
Starc
Johnson/Siddle*
Lyon
Hazlewood

Too many good quicks to go for the low variance option (siddle) for mine... Wouldn't be a terrible choice tho.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Do those statistics not prove that those 2 are not obviously better than Lyon. If you take that one season out for Ahmed he's nowhere near as impressive either.

The best stats based spinner hasn't even entered the conversation yet ffs.
Can those stats even be right? How did Lyon play 11 games of the Shield last year?

dontcloseyoureyes

BARNES OUT
You can't drop Lyon now, but O'Keefe really should have been playing for the last 5-6 years at least had the selectors not had some inexplicable grudge against him
Yeah it's pretty baffling that O'Keefe hasn't been given an actual go. Michael Beer played more tests than him ffs. **** averages 24 with the ball in FC cricket haha. All very weird.

adub

Nope. Maddog needs to score some FC runs. Should be miles away from selection.
Maddog actually averaged 53 last season, so it wasn't pathetic by any stretch, but my lord he wasted some golden opportunities. The year before was diabolical. He could seriously come into contention in 12 months time, but he needs to show that he can build an innings this summer and play through the gears.

Tangles

Maddog actually averaged 53 last season, so it wasn't pathetic by any stretch, but my lord he wasted some golden opportunities. The year before was diabolical. He could seriously come into contention in 12 months time, but he needs to show that he can build an innings this summer and play through the gears.
Yeah look he just makes me mad with his potential and when he throws away an innings. I don't think he's ready yet and absolutely needs to learn to build an innings to make the step up to test cricket.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Yeah look he just makes me mad with his potential and when he throws away an innings. I don't think he's ready yet and absolutely needs to learn to build an innings to make the step up to test cricket.
Why hold him to different standards than the rest of the Aussie batsmen?

Tangles

Why hold him to different standards than the rest of the Aussie batsmen?
Lol. While you can at times get away with always batting in 5th doing it in challenging conditions gets you into trouble. As we all witnessed over the series.

How about to the standard of Rogers and Smith. Warner gets special dispensation. The rest of them don't deserve a spot in the team tbh.

Burgey

Cowan to partner Warner imo. If people thought Warner and Rogers didn't get on, wait til Ed gets back in the team.