• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Losing my breath

dilshan1989

Hello everyone,

I recently started going to cricket practices. I have never played cricket or any other sport in my life. I am 29.

We practice for about half an hour and during fielding practice I loose my breath and have to stop.

After coming home, the next day I get fever and terrible joint and muscle pain that lasts for 3-4 days.

Any advice mates? Should I start going to the gym or and maybe see a doctor?

Thanks in advance.

jimmy101

The fever doesn't sound very normal, but as for the joint/muscle pain that's completely normal and should stop happening after a few training sessions. Once your body gets used to the unusual movement that cricket requires (especially bowling, which is very unnatural).

As for the shortness of breath, you mentioned that you hadn't played any sport previous to this, so you may just need to work on your fitness a little bit. Try going for a light jog around the oval before training starts, and remember to do stretches.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Maybe take an asthma puffer with you to training

Go the preventer inhaler and you probably need a reliever too.

Pup Clarke

It's a blunt, and possibly cruel thing to say, but you have to incorporate fitness into your day-to-day life.
Walking/Hillwalking, Couch to 5k, Gentle core/plyometrics workouts, Cycling, Swimming are just a some of the activities that you could try - and see if you enjoy one of them!. Even if you have a Skipping rope, use it for 2 times a day for 10 minutes. Great physical benefits.
I wish you the very best of luck! It's never too late to make fitness changes

Last edited: