• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Men's hockey competition

GermanShepherd

Who do you think will be the medallists and the finshing order ?

I say : Gold: Australia
Silver: Germany
Bronze: Spain

4th Holland
5th Pakistan
6th India
7th Argies
8th Korea
9th Great Britain
10th New Zealand
11th South Africa
12 Egypt

GermanShepherd

Sudeep said:
Pakistan could be a surprise winner (ie. in the top three)
Could be. With Sohail Abbas in their side and the recent rule change favouring penalty corner takers, they are dark horses.
Argentina with Jorge Lombi could be the surprise packets in the other pool.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Didn't GB win a tri-series involving Pakistan a while back?

We don't get much coverage over here, but I thought that they did?

nibbs

at the commonwealth games New Zealand beat Pakistan 7-1. theyøve been imporving all the time recently and you never known if we can get some things to go our way we might do our selves proud

GermanShepherd

The loss of captain Paul Gaudoin in midfield is going to hurt Australia big time.

In light of this, I'll revise my original prediction and say that Australia won't win gold -- More likely Germany.

Anna

I think pretty much anyone could win this on the day. If GB sort themselves out in time they're in with a shot.

Protea

I think SA have improved a lot lately. All I know is our u/21s are really good. We had a three-game series with Aus this past weekend and drew 1-1 with the last game being a draw. I don't think we'll manage a medal this Olympics though.

P.S: Look out for Denzel Dolley.

Cloete

Speaking of SA Hestra Cloete should have a good chance of winning the high jump. I'm pleased to have my name attached to a possible gold medalist :)

Protea

Jacques Freitag, too, if he goes. He had some sort of injury to his ankle and he wasn't sure if he was going to make it or not. Both are IAAF High Jump champions.

GermanShepherd

Anna said:
I think pretty much anyone could win this on the day. If GB sort themselves out in time they're in with a shot.
You're the first Briton I know who thinks GB's mens hockey team can win a medal.
:)

Personally I think a more realistic goal for Great Britain would be a top 6 finish.

GermanShepherd

This should IMo be India's starting lineup for their first game against Holland:
(3-1-3-3-1) formation.

Prabjhot Gagan Ajit Singh Adam Sinclair

Dhanraj Pillay

Igance Tirkey Rasquinha Vikram Pillay

Xalco Dileep Tirkey(c) Sandeep Singh

Chauhan (gk)

What do you guys think ?

PS: Some recent results before the Athens Games

India 3 Germany 3
Spain 7 NZL 2
Spain 5 Great Britain 1

Spain looking in great form.

Son Of Coco

YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEESS!

Congratulations to the Aussie mens Hockey team, and in particular Nathan Eglington who went to good old Kingscliff High School, for winning gold.

Much deserved after years of near misses.

age_master

top game too :)

great to see such a happy bunch of players, plenty of whom have played in the previous (and the atlanta olympics too) get rewarded :)

CarERARE

I think SAs best chance lies with Ryk Neethling and Roland Schoeman. Both are ranked at the top of the mens 100m. Besides being a great swimmer, Ryk Neethling is also really hot, but thats beside the point

What do you think the best chances are with for your country