• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Offical** Commentary complaints thread

Howe_zat

Sports writers love to pretend that players are whinging as soon as they answer bullshit leading questions, don't they?

Headline: 'India’s Virat Kohli unhappy with Cricket World Cup format after semi-final exit'

First paragraph: 'Virat Kohli has suggested the International Cricket Council may want to consider changing the format of the World Cup after India’s dramatic semi-final exit.'

Actual quote: 'Asked whether he would like to see the tournament follow the model of the Indian Premier League, in which teams who finish top in the regular season get another chance to reach the final if they lose their first play‑off match, the India captain said: “Maybe.'

The quote part is of course halfway down the page, where they know most of the comments section won't have read it.

Players shouldn't give these hacks the time of day really.

wrongun

Banned
Sports writers love to pretend that players are whinging as soon as they answer bullshit leading questions, don't they?

Headline: 'India’s Virat Kohli unhappy with Cricket World Cup format after semi-final exit'

First paragraph: 'Virat Kohli has suggested the International Cricket Council may want to consider changing the format of the World Cup after India’s dramatic semi-final exit.'

Actual quote: 'Asked whether he would like to see the tournament follow the model of the Indian Premier League, in which teams who finish top in the regular season get another chance to reach the final if they lose their first play‑off match, the India captain said: “Maybe.'

The quote part is of course halfway down the page, where they know most of the comments section won't have read it.

I watched the PC live and remember thinking that Virat should have left that one alone. It does sound a bit cringe worthy as a quote. You lost end of story....ofcourse he was asked and he answered so he wasn't suggesting but perhaps he should have left that one alone. To be honest the Indian commentators have been hot garbage with fleas hovering around them. It's pretty shameful how bad its been....and tbh its fun to watch them turn against Manjrekar. I think Manjrekar is the best of the lot simply because atleast he has the guts to go against the tide. His 'feeling sorry' comment for Dhoni came across, to me, as a subtle dig at Kohli and Shastri.

I was watching a few different post game shows including 2 different ones with Sachin and Sehwag and both of them were pathetic. All they said was generic BS...you win some you lose some kinds. That is why I consider myself an expert after having watched cricket for 30 years now. Watch and understand the game yourself and if a different perspective is needed, read this forum. People behave as if Dhoni is being criticized for his career. NO....hes being criticized for playing when he doesn't deserve to. Past accolades shouldn't count for present day selection. That's why Australia is the ruler of the cricketing world and India is simply a pretender.

I recall discussing a deep malaise I noticed in the India team when they toured SAF in 2018. Kohli and Shastri had padded their stats well with a lollipop tour of WI in 2017 post the Kumble-Kohli spat regarding workout regiments etc..I believe KL Rahul was given a weight lifting regiment that injured his shoulder and Kohli took exception to it during the insanely entertaining Ind-Aus series in early 2017. Back to the malaise, Shastri and Kohli selected Rohit Sharma over Ajinkya Rahane and the move backfired. It was a weird bit of selection, either it was a sign of over aggression or there was some bizzare favouritism going on....who knows...but there were chinks in the armour. You could tell that team selection was a ? Similar issues arose during this WC..many of which Zorax has covered in a brilliant post earlier. India were great on paper but when it came time to test their depth, it was no where to be found...because it was curiously not created during these past 4 years. Dhoni is a hypocrite....He was indirectly responsible for many seniors retiring as they weren't 'fit' enough. Well you weren't fit enough to be in the team last year MS....you should have practiced what you preach and retired. Shastri has been a joke as a 'Head Coach' yet been given a 45 day extension. Not that Sunil Gavaskar is the model of objectivity, but you know there are chinks in the armour when he openly comes out and criticises Kohli and Shastri for not selecting Rahane....the infamous 'it seems you need to have tattoos to get selected in this team' comment during the end of successful SL tour where Indian owned them.

While Team India kept having 'success' by winning bi lateral series etc. if you observed closely, you would notice there was something off.....and today was a perfect storm. I'm glad NZ won and in case someone's wondering why I followed all this drama closely despite being an Aussie fan??? Always keep a close eye on your enemy ;)

Last edited:

Bijed

Yeah, it's rubbish but sadly commonplace. Kohli actually comes across pretty well in that interview imo, honest but without being whiney or wallowing in self-pity

Athlai

Not Terrible
Smith is so good with the pure enthusiasm moments. The Guptill run out of Dhoni was a great moment.

Flem274*

123/5
isa guha and some of ian smith are the only comms to come out of the semi with any credit.

genuinely the worst commentary ive ever heard haha even sleazy doull was desperate to keep his ipl contract.

as i said, it will be so sweet when we win this whole tournament despite playing like absolute **** for most of it.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire

A late of mine has a rule on pretty much all press articles, scroll down past the first advert for the actual truth

Headline might be ‘CIGARETTES FOUND NOT TO BE HARMLESS’ then two paragraphs about how this is an amazing finding. Big advert. And then the paragraph revealing that they only aren’t harmful if you leave them in the packet and don’t smoke them.

Arachnodouche

Ganguly was embarrassing with the way he was on Dhoni's nuts. Thought he wouldn't be as compromised as the others but obviously there are strong market forces underlying every aspect of cricket coverage today.

Athlai

Not Terrible
isa guha and some of ian smith are the only comms to come out of the semi with any credit.

genuinely the worst commentary ive ever heard haha even sleazy doull was desperate to keep his ipl contract.

as i said, it will be so sweet when we win this whole tournament despite playing like absolute **** for most of it.
Isa Guha is great, hope she becomes England's touring commentator.

Neil Young

Yeah, it's rubbish but sadly commonplace. Kohli actually comes across pretty well in that interview imo, honest but without being whiney or wallowing in self-pity
Yeah, I thought Kohli was good before and after the game in his press conferences.

quincywagstaff

Ganguly was embarrassing with the way he was on Dhoni's nuts. Thought he wouldn't be as compromised as the others but obviously there are strong market forces underlying every aspect of cricket coverage today.
Yeah, it was pretty cringeworthy. Even when he was playing dot balls in the closing overs they were treating him as some sort of genius.

I think commentators just seem to love these types of bats who play this way as it appears planned and sophisticated and they can drool over it when it comes off. It was certainly similar with Bevan back in the day where his occasional failures in his methodical style of chasing were never referred to by the Ch 9 comms.

straw man

What was Manjrekar going on about now about feeling sorry for Dhoni because he has to putin a big innings under pressure?

Dhoni has not been blackmailed to appear in this WC again. He should be relishing a challenge like this otherwise why play? Such nonsense from Manjrekar.
That was by far the most cringe worthy moment of commentary ever. I was thinking "no, he should want to be playing the innings of his life". Such a cop out really.
Haha I couldn't believe what I was hearing - was talking about Dhoni's place in the side like it should be a sweet and easy retirement gig and he shouldn't be expected to do the hard yards.

Neil Young

That was actually really good - rare to see the recording from in the commentary box and gives a whole nother perspective from the disembodied voices we're used to. Love Smith's gesticulating.
Yeah, adds a human element to it.

Actually felt for Ganguly there...

Athlai

Not Terrible
I personally can't wait until the final so we get India World Cup victory retrospective segments and the entire Indian commentary team + Ian Smith.

morgieb

Yeah the Indian commentators in this game were flat out embarrassing. Even Channel 9 would blush at their cheerleading.