• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Commentary Thread

Uppercut

I can't believe they let Mick McCarthy near a microphone again after the World Cup. He's a level of ****e I didn't think existed.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
I think it says something about how bad the BBC are when it comes to football coverage that ITV are blowing them out the water despite the presence of Adrian Chiles and Andy Townsend in their team.
Yeah, indeed. BBC have been shocking. Endless cinematic montages as well, all of which are totally pointless.

So annoying that the BBC pundits change their tune every ten minutes as well. At the start of the Spain/Croatia match they said how Spain would walk it, then at half time they said "Spain a pale shadow of the team they were two years ago", before then at fulltime saying how great they were again.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Yeah, indeed. BBC have been shocking. Endless cinematic montages as well, all of which are totally pointless.

So annoying that the BBC pundits change their tune every ten minutes as well. At the start of the Spain/Croatia match they said how Spain would walk it, then at half time they said "Spain a pale shadow of the team they were two years ago", before then at fulltime saying how great they were again.
It's because none of them have a clue about any football that's not played in England, and quite obviously don't bother themselves to actually do any research.

Johnners

What's not to love about cinematic montages? Love 'em personally

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Just find them tedious. They add nothing to the experience. All they ever seem to do is over-dramatise things and kill time before kick-off.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
I love Keown, but he just said Cech was like "a basketball player from the NFL"

Now admittedly US sports isn't my particular field of expertise but...

BoyBrumby

Englishman
I like Keown as well, but he's a pretty horrible commentator.
Nah, he's all right. Sight better than the king of camp or Mick The Plank, low bar as that is.

Acts as a lightening conductor for some of Pearce's more excitable moments.

grecian

Well, it's an incredibly low bar we're talking about here, but Keown at least keeps me amused with his murdering/genius use of the English Language, so he's better than most. I would say easily better than Townsend, but I think that goes without saying really. I ldon't despise McCarthy for those reasons too.

Agent TBY

I take more offence in the constant bringing up of England at every opportunity, though. They even spent 75% of the half-time show talking about England-Italy.

I know it's the Beeb and that's to be expected, but come on.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Nah, before and after the game, and half-time, is fair game IMO. During the game is way annoying though.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
My problem with Keown is that whenever he opens his mouth he'll say something cliched or just downright stupid. At least he's not particularly offensive mind you.

With Srizza on the England thing as well. I imagine partly why the BBC show an England update is to pad out the time and run out the clock until they can start showing the match again, but it is annoying how everything seems to link back to England somehow. Mind you, it's not like there was a lot to talk about with today's game. What really annoys me though is the fact that whenever England are mentioned there is a desperation to draw comparisons 1966 somehow, and now that they've won 2 matches everyone is talking about "how together the team is", and how "there's a new confidence about this team", and how "could this perhaps be their year?". Bloody hell.

cpr

I want Townsend added to the word filter. Have to limit myself to screaming **** at the screen when he speaks, no more than 3 times a half.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Can't stand Gary Lineker these days. Smugness personified. Makes me want to put a brick through the TV.

Also, did anyone else find it incredibly annoying how the commentary team continually made stupid expressions like "..maybe it's written in the stars for England" and crap like that?

Switched off after the inevitable "it's cruel on England", makes you wonder if they actually engage their brains before opening their mouths.

Last edited:

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Can't stand Gary Lineker these days. Smugness personified. Makes me want to put a brick through the TV.

Also, did anyone else find it incredibly annoying how the commentary team continually made stupid expressions like "..maybe it's written in the stars for England" and crap like that?

Switched off after the inevitable "it's cruel on England", makes you wonder if they actually engage their brains before opening their mouths.
They were taking their lead from Gary Neville's commentary on Chelsea's Champions League run tbf.

Uppercut

Lawrenson's such a snide wee ****, why does the BBC think footy works best when accompanied by someone constantly making smarmy remarks.