• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* CW XI Media Coverage

Mr Mxyzptlk

Outspoken Davis' speak out on CW XI return
Bi-Daily Standard
Kwaze Knight

For the past two years, contract disputes have raged in CWLand and kept Cricket Web XI out of international competition. In turn the team has plummeted to the bottom of all rankings, and its lofty reputation has crumbled away. Now the team prepares to end its exile and travel to New Zealand. It will be a return to competitive cricket for a nation that is suffering through a Civil War and political turmoil. The Bi-Daily Standard caught up with Cricket Web Black fast bowler Heath Davis for comment, and he was in typically aggressive mood.

Davis suggested that CW XI may have underrated its upcoming opponents, with a casual squad selection. "I think the selection of some of the bowling line up has been made for 'mates rates' in order to make some of the old guard look better than they truly are," he said, "It will be interesting to see if any of the current seam attack come unstuck against the might of Tim McIntosh, Daniel Flynn et al." He pinpointed the CW bowling attack as a weak area, stating that "some of these guys have been tried and failed numerous times, but they're still in there." Davis reinforced his point by targeting the captain: "Even Pickup isn't the force he once was."

Further comment on the squad selection came from Davis' father, Hamish Davis, recently appointed to the Selection Panel. "[Vice-captain] Demeza dominated the round the table selection discussions from start to finish. Kept referring to himself in the 3rd person and wanted to open the batting," said Hamish Davis, "Let's face it, everyone knows Demeza's a **** and this just reinforced my view of things." He went on to assert that Demeza's selection was politically motivated, implying his involvement with the Opposition PNSR (People's National Society for Reconstruction) party as a motivating factor. He noted, "Well, I'm not much of a fan of acronyms as you know, so that got me on the defensive from the off. I have never been unable to translate or even spell acronyms, and so I thought it very unfriendly of Demeza to spray them liberally around the selection table."

Reached for comment, Demeza's agent stated, "WTF?!"

Goughy

West Robbham Standard- Gough Retires

Gough Calls It A Day

After a nightmare start to the season that has led to the CW International being dropped from the Black OD side, Kev Gough announced his retirement from Dev League cricket with immediate effect.

"This season has been hard. We have a lot of talent at Black and, especially with my start to the season, I don't see my career going anywhere. My dream was always to be a FC regular but that was unlikely to happen so I took consolation in my position as the spearhead of CW OD fast bowling attack. Faced with a future of Grade cricket and a series of long term injuries I have decided to move on to greener pastures.

I have been offered a new job with better prospects and more money. I will be selling cakes and buns door-to-door.

I hope I will always be welcome in the Black dressing room as I have spent some very enjoyable and successful seasons there"

Gough went onto say that he was unsure if he was 100% retired or whether he would still play T20 in the future.

Last edited:

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
I am surprised by this.

I hope you do decide to stay on for T20 as you've always been a really keen skipper there, both in CW and the IPL.

Goughy

Goughy on Radio Free Pickford

Tonight on Radio Free Pickford, Gough explained his sudden retirement.

"At the end of last season my contract was up with Black. Though the conversation never took place; I am sure that, Black captain, Smith expected me to move on and so did I. My dream had been to be a semi-regular FC cricketer and that was never going to happen at Black due to the depth of talent. With the restructuring of the league I found myself back at Black and I was never quite comfortable with that situation. The season has started very badly and I have no issues with losing my place in the OD team. However, this means that there is little to play on for at Black and is time to move on to pastures new."

Last edited:

Simon

WCC Staff
CWXI Chairman Responds to Gough's Retirement

Cricketweb XI Cricket Chairman Simon Fitzsimmons has reponded to the news of the retirement of key limited overs bowler Kevin Gough. "The selection panel will be most displeased by Gough's decision, we have a Twenty20 World Cup coming up in a matter of months and we are just a year or so away from a 50 over World Cup." "Gough was seen as a key member of both these sides and it's going to be hard to replace him."

On the subject of his Development League retirement Fitzsimmons was also unhappy, "It's understandable that a player of his calibre should be dis-satisfied with being overlooked for First Class duties, that is why he has been strongly considered as a major candidate to move to any new Dev League franchise as a senior member in the event a new side is added for Season XVI." With that season not likely to be getting underway for at least another six months there would still be time for Gough to make a surprise return should his circumstances change.

cpr

If the Blacks had any care for CW cricket in general, they'd agree to allow Goughy to leave and let him have a shot at FC cricket with a lower placed team......

Oh, hang on, no new franchise till next year

Simon

WCC Staff
If the Blacks had any care for CW cricket in general, they'd agree to allow Goughy to leave and let him have a shot at FC cricket with a lower placed team......

I believe Gough was going to leave Black before the change over and abolishment of contracts took place, but we went with existing squads for the most part, if he didn't want to stay there he could have just said so and did what Cole did in moving from Colts to Green.
I suppose if its all about First Class cricket perhaps if Black can come to an agreement with another side I'd agree to a mid season transfer wheather it be for nothing or the exchange of a player.

Goughy

I believe Gough was going to leave Black before the change over and abolishment of contracts took place, but we went with existing squads for the most part, if he didn't want to stay there he could have just said so and did what Cole did in moving from Colts to Green.
I suppose if its all about First Class cricket perhaps if Black can come to an agreement with another side I'd agree to a mid season transfer wheather it be for nothing or the exchange of a player.
Id like to take a second to say that Im not criticising Black in anyway. I dont blame them in the slightest, nor do I blame anyone. Just circumstance.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire

:laugh:

Mr Mxyzptlk

Gough should be allowed an emergency loan move to another club IMO. Should be easy enough to facilitate in ITC and HODI. What say you's Kev and Simon?

Simon

WCC Staff
Yep as I mentioned in my last post in this thread I'd accept a loan/transfer if an agreement can be reached, all this obviously still depends on Gough still wanting to play.