• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* England in New Zealand 2019

thundaboult

Warms my heart to see Ian Smith getting all the recognition he's getting this season. One of my favorite commentators alongside bumble. His voice has been all over our best moments recently and maybe even prior. The passion he has is contagious. I wish Danny Morrison could be involved more often as well.

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
Some good commentary curse with them critiquing the round the wicket approach just before that. They also obviously didn't read the Sid Monga article about it during the Ashes.

The Hutt Rec

Had to laugh at Mark Richardson saying batsmen should only be allowed water at drinks breaks, and if they can’t manage that long without it, it’s their own fault due to lack of fitness. I’d like to think he was joking but there didn’t seem to be any hint of self awareness.

Bahnz

Final session rescued the day a bit for NZ, and it’s a bit of good fortune that the bowlers were able to get off the park an hour early. Weather forecast looking a bit dodgy over the last couple days, England may have to make an early declaration after lunch and bank on an NZ collapse to square the series.

theegyptian

How best to win this game from England's pov?

I would like for them to bat aggresively to lunch (or until they were bowled out if it happens before) and declare. Gives them possibly 3 sessions to bowl NZ out to setup a runchase. Lower order likes to playing aggressively and possibly the bowlers could take the positive momentum into the bowling.

Alternatives are to declare overnight, or to bat on for as long as possible.

I don't really like either.

Declaring overnight with the 106 run deficit would give them lots of time but the bowler would go pretty flat pretty quick if they didn't get early wickets. Their wouldn't be much pressure on NZ given they already had an 106 run lead. You're also foregoing the 5 wickets you have in the bag. Also increases the chances of losing the game.

Batting on for as long as possible in theory wouldn't be a bad tactic. Say England get 175 ahead by the end of the day. That would put a lot of pressure on NZ on the last day. However it's very hard to see England scoring 200+ more runs the way they've batted in recent times. They are more likely to waste a lot of time for not much benefit.

I'm definitely in the scaly camp here would would likely advocate that England throw the bat for 20 or 25 overs and take whatever runs they can get. If they get bowled out for 60 more in 9 overs then so be it, it gets the game moving. If they scored 130 in 25 overs it would put them in a good position. They can't afford to waste any time batting conservatively. They need 10 NZ wickets. Sounds like there could be more rain around also which is bad news.

flibbertyjibber

Bat normally till lunch, go for it after lunch and then have last 4 sessions and a bit to try and win it with scoreboard pressure of a lead to help.

Lillian Thomson

We need to get somewhere approaching the New Zealand total before making any lavish plans. Declaring overnight would be suicide. The idea that we can get a lead of 175 is fanciful to say the least.

flibbertyjibber

We need to get somewhere approaching the New Zealand total before making any lavish plans. Declaring overnight would be suicide. The idea that we can get a lead of 175 is fanciful to say the least.
I think we will be looking at 50-100 lead maximum. We would then need a bloody good last session to give us a chance going into the last day.

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
Didn't get to watch anything this weekend. Take it we missed a lot of catches. Was the bowling ineffective, or tight with England just a bit too good?

5 for 269 - seems evenly poised right now.

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
No better chance to cement yourself for another series or two here for Pope. Question is, all things going well, would England want a few overs at NZ tonight and risk chasing a small target late on day 5, or bat the day and have a go tomorrow? If they can add 300 in a day they'd be in a strong position.

straw man

England, or NZ for that matter, want to get a win out of this match then need decisive steps today, otherwise will peter out as a slow draw.

Looks like NZ's approach is going to be to keep it tight and play for time.

The Hutt Rec

No incentive for NZ to force the game really ... and England I can understand being a bit cautious after the disaster in the first test. Pitch doesn’t seem to be doing anything. Hopefully something develops though.