• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* England in South Africa 2019/20

BoyBrumby

Englishman
I think so. We all know that SA aren't as good as they were, but 3-1 overseas after losing the first test heavily isn't a common occurrence. Great for Mark Wood, in particular; proving quite a few CWers wrong in the process fwiw. And great to see the youngsters coming in and making a difference. One of the journalists was saying it's only the 3rd time in the last 40 years that we've won 3 consecutive tests in an overseas series, and one of the others was in SL also under Root's captaincy. it did take me a few minutes to remembered the other occasion, but I got there eventually.
Me too. Windies in 04, right?

wpdavid

Me too. Windies in 04, right?
That's the one. You'd think I'd have remembered more quickly as I was writing for CW about it at the time.
16 years ago, though. How on earth did that happen?
I suppose the real sign of aging is that I can remember the 3 wins in India in 1976/77 like they were yesterday.

Last edited:

Burgey

Really quite excited by this England side, rightly or wrongly.
You're wrong.

Did I hear something to the effect the England management was complaining about its players being subjected to verbal abuse by SA supporters? If so, I'd just like to know whether irony's family is accepting floral tributes at the funeral, and if so where to send it.

BSM

You're wrong.

Did I hear something to the effect the England management was complaining about its players being subjected to verbal abuse by SA supporters? If so, I'd just like to know whether irony's family is accepting floral tributes at the funeral, and if so where to send it.
I am guessing this is in reference to the stick that Warner, Smith and Bancroft got in the ashes last summer; in which case I really don't get how that makes complaining in this instance ironic. It would only be so if they were specifically encouraging the abuse last summer like Lehman did for Broad the ashes previously.

It is right to be excited about this team at least in comparison to what we had before imo. Think one of the greatest thing is that selections based on odi form have been fazed out. Butler being the most successful selection, and averaging a mediocre 30 is pretty condemning in itself. Young players who have performed in the county championship have been selected and performed and you feel that they can only really get better

DriveClub

Any team who hasn't won a series in SA should be lining up to play there now, can take one off their bucket list. Except India of course, they will always find a way to mess it up.

vcs

England looked to be on the upward curve after beating India 4-1 and then winning 3-0 in SL, before they went on to get thrashed in the Caribbean. I'm not convinced just yet. Good achievement to win from behind in SA yes, but let's see how they go in the next series.

Burgey

I am guessing this is in reference to the stick that Warner, Smith and Bancroft got in the ashes last summer; in which case I really don't get how that makes complaining in this instance ironic. It would only be so if they were specifically encouraging the abuse last summer like Lehman did for Broad the ashes previously.

It is right to be excited about this team at least in comparison to what we had before imo. Think one of the greatest thing is that selections based on odi form have been fazed out. Butler being the most successful selection, and averaging a mediocre 30 is pretty condemning in itself. Young players who have performed in the county championship have been selected and performed and you feel that they can only really get better
Nah the Barmy Army love dishing out personal abuse disguised as "humorous" songs. They've been doing it for decades without the slightest drama being expressed by English cricket management or players. "Hilarious" songs about opposition players' wives and partners, their personal lives etc etc. So, you know, when they cop it back, **** 'em, frankly.

Besides, as we all know Stokes is fortunate he wasn't watching proceedings from a 6x8 cell in Pentonville Road Prison tbh.