• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Fifth Test at The Oval

aussie

So which of the batsmen at the Oval were the ones who got out through shocking batting then?
For the top 7 batsman, all excpet Watson & Haddin. Broad bowled well indeed, but geez that was one of the most timid 5-wicket hauls ever. The surface really had no demons on the second day for AUS to get bowled out for 160.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
For the top 7 batsman, all excpet Watson & Haddin. Broad bowled well indeed, but geez that was one of the most timid 5-wicket hauls ever. The surface really had no demons on the second day for AUS to get bowled out for 160.
You must be kidding me? Timid? It was great bowling, simple as that.

aussie

You must be kidding me? Timid? It was great bowling, simple as that.
His 5 wicket haul vs WI @ Antigua was far better, given he really had to work HARD for those wickets - AUS just capitulated. In the second when AUS batted with sense, sanity returned.

But i am not writing off Broad by any means, just putting his bowling performance in proper perspective. Hopefully him getting two 5 wickets vs AUS will put him in good stead for the SA tour & beyond. Since ENG need him to keep improving now with Freddie gone. I am just not 100% convinced, he is the done deal yet as test match bowler.

TT Boy

His 5 wicket haul vs WI @ Antigua was far better, given he really had to work HARD for those wickets - AUS just capitulated. In the second when AUS batted with sense, sanity returned.

But i am not writing off Broad by any means, just putting his bowling performance in proper perspective. Hopefully him getting two 5 wickets vs AUS will put him in good stead for the SA tour & beyond. Since ENG need him to keep improving now with Freddie gone. I am just not 100% convinced, he is the done deal yet as test match bowler.
To good bowling.

aussie

The capitulated to good bowling @ Edgbaston, since the conditions where extremely bowler friendly on that second morning. The Oval & Lord's was poor batting from the top-order.

Ikki

Broad bowled well, as did Anderson at Lords but the capitulation did not match the quality in bowling. I agree with Junior Waugh, in that, I've seen better bowling take half as many wickets.

Woodster

Firstly, I am absolutely over the moon with regaining the Ashes!! Watching the celebrations and emotions from all the players and staff yesterday was brilliant, and I hope every English person enjoyed watching the series unfold.

Our victory in 2005 was seen as reaching the pinnacle, we'd enjoyed a good run of success leading upto the 05 Ashes, and the victory then was seen as topping it all off nicely, and that we had achieved our goal as a cricket team, which was clearly not how it panned out. Lessons should be learnt, and it is different this time around, we have achieved mixed results recently, and this series win is an ideal platform and should give all the younger guys the necessary confidence to believe we can now go on and get a victory in SA, which will be probably be an even tougher assignment than this one.

There was not much between these sides, simply that England ceased their opportunities far more ruthlessly. It's clear the certain stats favour Australia, but it's the important sessions that England won, and with the inexperience in the Aussie side the inability to play consistently well for long periods will not be there at this stage.

For England, it really is now a case of building on this, and I believe they can do. There will be a real competition for places now with KP returning, hopefully, for SA, Ravi Bopara will not be finished with Test cricket by any stretch, and Jon Trott has given himself the best chance of starting the SA series with his performances in the last Test.

With the bowling attack, having Graham Onions and Ryan Sidebottom sat on the sidelines shows we do have decent players to come in, but of course losing Andrew Flintoff is a huge blow, and while it is unlikely he will be replaced for quite some time (like for like, if ever) that does not mean to say we cannot continue with the momentum gained from this win.

JBH001

Broad bowled well, as did Anderson at Lords but the capitulation did not match the quality in bowling. I agree with Junior Waugh, in that, I've seen better bowling take half as many wickets.
Never hear the end of it. 8-)

But come to that, rather have a spell just good enough to take the edge, than a spell so good that it misses everything and just gets "ooohs" and "aahs".

Ikki

Never hear the end of it. 8-)

But come to that, rather have a spell just good enough to take the edge, than a spell so good that it misses everything and just gets "ooohs" and "aahs".
There is really no question as to which spell you'd rather take.

The point was made that the capitulation had a lot to do with the batsmen acting like dodos rather than simply being outclassed.

oitoitoi

Agreed regarding Broad, thought Anderson was better at Lords but there was still some suicidal Australian batting. Sidebottom against India on 07 is a good example of what Waugh jr was talking about, bowled some really good spells for little or no reward, of course bowling them against Tendulkar is never going to help you as a bowler. Also agree that Broad's 5 fer in the Windies was a better spell.

Craig

World Traveller
It's simply really, England took advantage of the key moments in the series and that is what helped them win. If Australia did, then the Ashes would still be theres.

Uppercut

All Harmison said was that he'd 'probably' go if picked - after speaking to his family. Got the sound of a man who's getting ready to quit I'd say.
This kind of thing annoys me about Harmison. I bet Graham Onions would absolutely love to go on tour with the England team for an extra summer in South Africa, spend the whole time playing cricket in the sunshine and represent his country at a sport he loves. I'd be wetting myself with excitement if I was given the opportunity.

But Harmison gets asked and grumbles, "I suppose I probably would go.. I'd have to ask my family about it first." Apart from him being crap at cricket, I can never understand why England's selectors even want a character like this in the team.