• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official Formula 1 Discussion Thread***

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Yeah what they did with Ricciardo was just strange.

Really what last weekend did was just show what an interesting season we could have if we just got rid of Mercedes.
The actual racing for the last few seasons has been absolutely brilliant, some of the battles involving 2 or more of Alonso, Vettel and Ricciardo in 2014 would have been all time great scraps if they'd been for the lead of Grand Prixs instead of scraps for 4th or 5th place. Alonso and Vettel's 12 lap long duel at Silverstone and Ricciardo's move on Vettel at Monza are 2 all time great moments IMO.

Pothas

Have quite enjoyed this season far really, last year was the first in a long long time that I just stopped bothering to watch though.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Have quite enjoyed this season far really, last year was the first in a long long time that I just stopped bothering to watch though.
Yeah last season was pretty dull because at the sharp end there was such a rigid, clear hierarchy. Mercedes > Ferrari > Williams > Red Bull. This season has gone back to 2012-14 levels of mixedupness, and there's small shoots that suggest McLaren could get getting in on the act (thought it was telling that Alonso was able to comfortably defend against Massa in the early stages, even allowing for the latter's appalling racecraft)

Hungary was gloriously chaotic though.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Vettel was never in with a shout of the win because he pitted 2 laps after Verstappen and made no significant inroads.

Ricciardo got absolutely done in though. Absolute amateurism from Red Bull on that front.

Red Bull's engine upgrade will be interesting, they've quietly put together an excellent package this season and I wouldn't be surprised to see them edge out Ferrari for 2nd.
Wish I'd stuck some money on a Ricciardo pole. Really hope he takes it home tomorrow, he's had some absolutely appaling luck in the last 18 months.

Wouldn't be surprised to see him win in Hungary or Singapore either. Hope this upgrade from Renault makes them more competitive at the power tracks as well.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Call Ricciardo into the pits to move from inters to slicks but forget to actually bring the tyres put of the garage, costing him the win.

cpr

His face at the end said it all really.

Personally I'm loving the new rules to limit radio chatter, as its making the drivers more picky about what words they use, and are settling on just swearing instead. Ricciardo's WAC at Kimi on Thursday being a particular highlight. And heres me thinking it was a CWism not an Aussie one in general.

Pothas

I totally understand why he did not try it but would have had so much more respect for him if he had just overtaken Hamilton, Verstappen would have done.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Would've been more interesting if Verstappen had been 3rd, Vettel was never going to risk any sort of move or contact on Rosberg.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Part of me wonders how much he actually likes the sport.

His radio communications when he gets pole or wins always feels really forced. At times he comes across as being the kid who went into the family business to please daddy - sure, he's good at what he does, but you get the impression he'd rather do something else.

social

Part of me wonders how much he actually likes the sport.

His radio communications when he gets pole or wins always feels really forced. At times he comes across as being the kid who went into the family business to please daddy - sure, he's good at what he does, but you get the impression he'd rather do something else.
You'd have to think that he'd love something that he has devoted 25 years towards.

I've never thought that he has the "racer's mentality" of a Hamilton and has probably concluded that this is as good as it gets plus he has a young family and plenty of money