• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official** Group A Discussion

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Drags it out too long matey. In the early stages a couple or even 3 games in a day for me. A quick tourney is a good tourney
Nah there is absolutely no point in having lots of cricket if you can't watch it all IMO. We'd probably end up with broadcasters deciding not to show some of the minnow matches if they clashed etc and I'd get really surly about that. It takes as long as it takes; I don't care if it takes 20 years as long as all the matches are meaningful.

Howe_zat

Drags it out too long matey. In the early stages a couple or even 3 games in a day for me. A quick tourney is a good tourney
Smaller groups solves everything

I'd want a straight knockout if it weren't a pisstake to travel all around the world for 1 game.

uvelocity

Nah there is absolutely no point in having lots of cricket if you can't watch it all IMO. We'd probably end up with broadcasters deciding not to show some of the minnow matches if they clashed etc and I'd get really surly about that. It takes as long as it takes; I don't care if it takes 20 years as long as all the matches are meaningful.
Get rid of the current broadcasting norms. I'm sure we can enjoy the game with less commentators rabbiting on and a few less cameras and have a proper viewers choice nba style Internet broadcast. Cricket needs to take more control and responsibility for the presentation of the game - most of the networks (find sky pretty good) are pretty embarrassing from a neutral pov in the way they present the game and the way they dictate terms

Adders

The minnows playing is great, it's just the bull**** unnecessary one game per day ICC crap that wrecks the world cup
Gotta agree with that. I think it's very important the associates get a crack in the World Cup so you can't cut the number of teams, but the biggest issue is it dragging on (6 weeks last time??)

The simple answer is play more than one game a day........works for the FIFA World Cup. In the group stages I can't see a problem with having concurrent games.

Daemon

16 teams
4 groups
winner of each goes to semis
finals

24 days for group stages (i think?)

2 days for semis

1 day for finals

~ 1 month

don't see the problem with a game a day personally.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Gotta agree with that. I think it's very important the associates get a crack in the World Cup so you can't cut the number of teams, but the biggest issue is it dragging on (6 weeks last time??)

The simple answer is play more than one game a day........works for the FIFA World Cup. In the group stages I can't see a problem with having concurrent games.
It works for football because a game is done and dusted within 2 hours of kicking off.

Goughy

16 teams
4 groups
winner of each goes to semis
finals

24 days for group stages (i think?)

2 days for semis

1 day for finals

~ 1 month

don't see the problem with a game a day personally.
The problem with that IMO is that if you win you still only play 5 games in a month and the top teams only play 3 important games (one against the other top team in their group, the semi and the final.)

the big bambino

Not a real fan of the associates at the WC or believe that one outing every 4yrs really assists development. Like everyone I'm all for growing the game but reckon that tolerating them at the WC is offered up as evidence ICC is advancing the game when everyone's real objective is pimping it instead.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
They still play games at the same time in the football WC
Only when potential cheating deems it necessary though, I.e the final round of group games

Could do two games a day, a day game and a day-nighter. Couldn't watch both games but could see the business end of both.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
At the last World Cup there was 2 games per day a fair few times.

The best option IMO, would be to have 2 games per day with the first game a day game in New Zealand and the second match a day night match in Australia. When the big teams play against each other (perhaps just the teams that featured in the Champions Trophy), they can be just the one game on the day.

Simple.

Last edited:

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Not a real fan of the associates at the WC or believe that one outing every 4yrs really assists development. Like everyone I'm all for growing the game but reckon that tolerating them at the WC is offered up as evidence ICC is advancing the game when everyone's real objective is pimping it instead.
Hahaha go and get ****ed you snobby bastard. Cricket's played in more than 10 countries.

Uppercut

The problem with that IMO is that if you win you still only play 5 games in a month and the top teams only play 3 important games (one against the other top team in their group, the semi and the final.)
That's not actually true, because if you don't beat one of the other two teams you can go out even if you win against the top team. You could get a situation where to qualify India would need to beat Netherlands by a certain amount more than Pakistan beat Afghanistan, for example. The games would have to be played simultaneously. So you've created a really exciting situation from what would have just been two one-sided games under another format.

Of all the formats I've heard proposed I think I like Daemon's best.

Uppercut

Haha "tolerating them at the WC". Go **** yourself, yeah?

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Actually love that "rule" personally.
What are you blokes talking about? There were multiple ODIs on one day in the 2011 World Cup.