• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Match 11 - India v England

Who will win the match?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Spark

Global Moderator
From now on, whenever a team is less likely to win than they were before, they have "choked". I will bear this in mind when reporting on matches in future.

As we know, in any real match, no side is allowed to go ahead and/or fall behind what is expected of them. Ever. At all.

I think we can all agree that England choked early on by dropping Sehwag, but after getting a few runs on the board he himself choked by getting out. Sachin had been choking immensely at one end by taking his time, but started to breathe a bit easier after a while. However, Ghambir, Dhoni and Yuvraj all suddenly choked towards the end of their innings, as they moved from batting to being out seemingly out of nowhere, persumably because it only takes one delivery to get you out. Or as we now call it, choking.

India choked throughout most of their fielding effort apart from one less chokey over from Chawla to Trott. Once the Strauss-Bell partnership had been in, partially thanks to some excellent choking from the UDRS, England suddenly choked in a way that had nothing to do with a good old ball spell from one of the best old ball seam bowlers in the world.

However, India then inexplicably choked harder as England unchoked and clawed the game back. Needing two runs to win off the final ball, everyone choked, including the crowd. Clearly, there is nobody left alive in Bangalore today, as this game evidently happened during a sudden outbreak of turburculosis.

The. ****ing. End.
:laugh:

Winner.

grecian

From now on, whenever a team is less likely to win than they were before, they have "choked". I will bear this in mind when reporting on matches in future.

As we know, in any real match, no side is allowed to go ahead and/or fall behind what is expected of them. Ever. At all.

I think we can all agree that England choked early on by dropping Sehwag, but after getting a few runs on the board he himself choked by getting out. Sachin had been choking immensely at one end by taking his time, but started to breathe a bit easier after a while. However, Ghambir, Dhoni and Yuvraj all suddenly choked towards the end of their innings, as they moved from batting to being out seemingly out of nowhere, persumably because it only takes one delivery to get you out. Or as we now call it, choking.

India choked throughout most of their fielding effort apart from one less chokey over from Chawla to Trott. Once the Strauss-Bell partnership had been in, partially thanks to some excellent choking from the UDRS, England suddenly choked in a way that had nothing to do with a good old ball spell from one of the best old ball seam bowlers in the world.

However, India then inexplicably choked harder as England unchoked and clawed the game back. Needing two runs to win off the final ball, everyone choked, including the crowd. Clearly, there is nobody left alive in Bangalore today, as this game evidently happened during a sudden outbreak of turburculosis.

The. ****ing. End.
Agreed, pretty much what I was saying, but better put.

vcs

The. ****ing. End.
:notworthy

smalishah84

The Tiger King
Bresnan, Yardy, Broad, Swann, Collingwood, Shahzad. Decent enough attack.

India's is a bit more worrying. I was expecting more from the part-time stuff of Yuvi and Yusuf, but they clearly aren't going to be troubling sides on flat pitches. Barely keep it tight, let alone take wickets.

Bhajji is fine. Chawla I can live with, since he takes wickets. He needs to just stop being nervous; he kept losing his line or dragged the ball short. Ashwin might be better.

Munaf and Zak are useful when there is some help in the wicket; but apart from one sharp spell from Zak they looked poor.

The most worrying thing, IMO, is MSD's captaincy and our fielding. Mediocre fielding isn't good; one reason to try and get Raina in the side (although he does field a lot as sub). Then there is MSD's captaincy, he can't keep setting such open and free fields. If we're going to post up big scores, we've got to be a bit more aggressive in the field. Keep it tight, cut down the singles, build pressures. Munaf and Zak may or may not be capable of that with the new ball (keeps varying it seems), but Bhajji definitely is and we need someone to support him.
A good analysis

The. ****ing. End.
:lol:

AWESOME post......too good.......its too big otherwise sig worthy

Marcuss

Strauss and Bell got good balls. Colly hasn't scored runs in centuries, Prior's a gash ODI batsman and Yardy's having nosebleeds at 7. We made 338 with 4 batsmen basically and nobody had given us a chance in doing so.
We were always only one wicket away from crumbling.
You bottled defending 338 in your own country and couldn't even manage to keep us below 28 from the final two overs bowling to our numbers 8, 9 and 10.

Shri

Strauss and Bell got good balls. Colly hasn't scored runs in centuries, Prior's a gash ODI batsman and Yardy's having nosebleeds at 7. We made 338 with 4 batsmen basically and nobody had given us a chance in doing so.
You bottled defending 338 in your own country and couldn't even manage to keep us below 28 from the final two overs bowling to our numbers 8, 9 and 10.
BellwasOUTon17lol.

Blaze 18

Banned

The. ****ing. End.
:lol:

Ikki

Shane Warne's feeling lucky after correctly predicting soon after the start of the India-England match that it would end in a tie:

I am taking a lottery ticket out this weekend

Fusion

Global Moderator
Shane Warne's feeling lucky after correctly predicting soon after the start of the India-England match that it would end in a tie:
I had seen his prediction on his twitter feed and as soon as the match ended my first thought was “Waney’s the man!”.

Jacknife

It's bizarre. I still think there is room for Jimmy in the side in future but for now he needs to take some time out to try and get some form back in the nets. At the end of both matches he was bowling horribly, not even doing the basics right.

He's been an excellent limited overs bowler in the past, and that includes overseas, so he can do it. He'll be back, but perhaps he's just been playing too much recently.
Yes, Jimmy just looks out of rhythm, for some reason it's not clicking for him. He bowled very well all last year in Odi's and had become a lot more consistent. Down in Oz when he came back that first game, he bowled really well and looked like he hadn't been away, then he had that bad game where he went for 90 and I just thought it was a one off because he bowled pretty well in the last 2 games. But like you said it's really his death bowling that he's having trouble with and he's not missing by a bit he's way off target. Maybe it would be a idea for him to miss the next match and relax a bit and work on his skills in the nets. I read a article some where, where the writer mentioned, that he thought Jimmy looked emaciated and tbf I think he does.I don't know whether been away from his new born is getting to him but it won't be doing him any favors.

Jacknife

The. ****ing. End.
:clapping:Epic post.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Lol, where did I say we didn't stuff up?

The bottom of your post is typical cheerleading where if I accuse England of something negative you must respond with an attack on India, but I never denied India choked near the end. And I've given heaps of credit to England in this thread. But when a team calls a powerplay 2 wickets down and then loses 5 wickets for less than 10 runs it's a choke. People can say the word is overused, but that doesn't mean that when it actually happens, it isn't accurate to suggest as much.

Last edited:

Spark

Global Moderator
Well, KP has precisely one fifty in donkey's years. Trott is decent. Bell is inconsistent as hell, too.

One good player, one decent player, one average player, one frankly horrid one (of late).

That's a great top order.

FBU

Yes, Jimmy just looks out of rhythm, for some reason it's not clicking for him. He bowled very well all last year in Odi's and had become a lot more consistent. Down in Oz when he came back that first game, he bowled really well and looked like he hadn't been away, then he had that bad game where he went for 90 and I just thought it was a one off because he bowled pretty well in the last 2 games. But like you said it's really his death bowling that he's having trouble with and he's not missing by a bit he's way off target. Maybe it would be a idea for him to miss the next match and relax a bit and work on his skills in the nets. I read a article some where, where the writer mentioned, that he thought Jimmy looked emaciated and tbf I think he does.I don't know whether been away from his new born is getting to him but it won't be doing him any favors.
I think it was after Finn and Anderson got 55 runs of the Aussie bowlers hitting fours and sixes that Watson wanted to target Anderson in the next match. :)

Bowling in the batting powerplays

57.0-0-442-20 (22.10. econ 7.75 s/r 17.10) - Anderson
54.3-1-439-25 (17.56 econ 8.05 s/r 13.08) - Broad
23.5-0-191-9 (21.22 econ 8.01 s/r 15.8) - Bresnan

Anderson's death bowling hasn't been very good lately and as you say he is way off target. He needs to have a break and work on his bowling in the nets as he seems to have no confidence. I think he is also having a problem with his back. It might be better to say he is injured and send him home and bring Tremlett in.

Jacknife

Well, KP has precisely one fifty in donkey's years. Trott is decent. Bell is inconsistent as hell, too.

One good player, one decent player, one average player, one frankly horrid one (of late).

That's a great top order.
Strauss has been really consistent for a couple of years and Trott is averaging 52, KP seems to be hitting some form and Bell is inconsistent like you say, but apart from maybe India and SA the same can be said for all the teams, some players are in form and others are trying to find it. The more guys you have in form is all that matters and the further you'll go in this tournament.

Spark

Global Moderator
I'll believe KP is hitting form when he actually starts making some half-centuries. He's looked good on far too many occasions, only to get a 20 or 30.