• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Second Test at the Adelaide Oval

Woodster

A thoroughly clinical performance in this Test by England, we got Australia down and never let them back up, real foot on the throat stuff.

Great effort by Swann and Anderson on that final morning, with the storms coming in during the afternoon, it shows how important those early wickets were.

Was surprised at the lack of Aussie fight, and never dreamt we'd have it wrapped up in 90 minutes of play, they only needed to bat for something like a further hour and 45 minutes and they'd have saved it. It would have been tough on England, but you don't always get what you deserve in cricket.

Five wickets was just reward for Swann, and had Prior snaffled what was by his much improved standards a regulation chance off Swann, he could have finished with a 6-for.

That was just what you want from your spinner, he gave control in the first innings when little spin was on offer and chipped with a couple of wickets, one a crucial one with Hussey. Then when the track offered more assistance on the fourth and fifth day, he remained economical but was very penetrative also and got his five wickets his performance deserved to help guide us to victory.

The decision by Strauss to take the new ball when he did was spot on, and most of the choices he took throughout this Test were proved correct in the end.

It's Australia that have all the problems, at the moment. We know that can change, bit this is a different England side than many people will have seen in Australia before, and also a very different Aussie side.

Woodster

Did you just watch any of the test match? Or are you just going by his figures

Harris is a high class bowler
Yes Harris was the only one that hit the right areas on anything near a consistent basis. Demonstrated good bursts of pace, and will presumably like the extra pace the WACA will offer.

Would be ridiculous to drop him from the side.

davidgdafter

I expected to wake up this morning and switch on Sky Sports and see the pitch under 2 foot of water and the match abandoned. However the weather gods were on our side and Jimmy and Swanny were immense.

I hope Tremlett comes in for the 3rd test personally as I think he could do some damage for us, if the pitch has some pace and bounce like they have been mentioning.

Don't really know how the Aussie selectors will approach the 3rs test. Mass culls/wholesale changes never work in the short-term in my opinion. Harris should retain his place and I would also bring Hauritz back in instead of Doherty. I also take it that Hughes will replace Katich.

Woodster

I expected to wake up this morning and switch on Sky Sports and see the pitch under 2 foot of water and the match abandoned. However the weather gods were on our side and Jimmy and Swanny were immense.

I hope Tremlett comes in for the 3rd test personally as I think he could do some damage for us, if the pitch has some pace and bounce like they have been mentioning.

Don't really know how the Aussie selectors will approach the 3rs test. Mass culls/wholesale changes never work in the short-term in my opinion. Harris should retain his place and I would also bring Hauritz back in instead of Doherty. I also take it that Hughes will replace Katich.
Yes I agree with your opinions on the Aussie side. Think Hauritz has to replace Doherty, Harris was the outstanding bowler for Australia in Adelaide, so don't think his position should come under any pressure for Perth. Hughes the obvious candidate for me to replace Katich.

nick-o

And he adds that spin option if conditions suit (not a great one but hey hardly a better option in the country) as well as a solid slip fieldsman.

White! Get him in thur.

Hughes
Watson
Klinger
Clarke
Hussey
White (c)
Haddin (+)
Vettori
Harris
Johnson
Bollinger
Seems no-one else laughed, but i did.

Still finding it hard to believe that England made it -- so many false dawns and failed promises over the last 20 years...

Andy Flower as greatest living Englishman ?

BoyBrumby

Englishman
It is random though as you dropped Johnson and picked Bollinger who may well be dropped for Perth.
Actually think both calls were/would be correct. Johnson's gone just now, even by his standards he was erratic at Brisbane & Bollinger really doesn't look fit. Looks overweight to me and was well down on speed from last (NH) winter.

If he's still feeling his way back I don't think DtR at 70-80% is any better (in fact probably worse) than some of the alternatives.

Depending on how much influence Ponting will exert, it sounds as though North is going to be retained AGAIN:

"He'll be a bit disappointed with his week's work here," Ponting said of North. "I still believe that he's got great value to the team."
From what I've read Ponting has lost his vote at selection meetings and, if it's his doing that Johnson and North were retained as long as they have been, it's an overdue call.

tooextracool

I am almost certain that Tremlett will be picked.

a) He would be the closest replacement for Broad- tall, hit the deck bowler etc
b) Its quite clear that he was the first bowling choice replacement after the tour game especially considering that Shahzad didn't make the original squad and Bresnan wasnt nearly as impressive
c) Considering our batting has fired, there isn't a need for added cover in the batting department which rules Bresnan out
d) Playing at WACA, less need for a skiddier bowler like Shahzad or even Bresnan compared with a tall bowler who can get disconcerting bounce

Marcuss

On the referral that got North, you could see Swanneh walking up to Strauss "That's out, that's out."
WAG :wub:

Marcuss

Well sometimes there's a bit of doubt. Like the first referral, they weren't as convinced, there was some umming and ahhing.
That one he just marched towards Strauss and gave a little wag of the finger.

Son Of Coco

Seems no-one else laughed, but i did.

Still finding it hard to believe that England made it -- so many false dawns and failed promises over the last 20 years...

Andy Flower as greatest living Englishman ?
This is a much better English team and a much worse Australian team than probably any time over the past 20 years. Some of the English teams of the past wouldn't have had problems beating this Aussie team either at the moment.

Read a bit in the newspaper about this Engish team possibly becoming the best in the world. Could easily happen if they address a couple of weaknesses, as every team has some at the moment.

In fact, they could do it as they are in my opinion.

HeathDavisSpeed

Some of the English teams of the past wouldn't have had problems beating this Aussie team either at the moment..
This is a good point. I was looking back on Cricinfo earlier today, and somehow came upon the Devon Malcolm test vs. South Africa in (I think) 1995. Gooch, Atherton, Hick, Thorpe - a solid batting line up... And Devon Malcolm himself. I wonder how he would have gone with a more supportive coach as he was devastating on his day - yet his career average of 37-ish is pretty poor really.

Riggins

Couldn't leave work Tuesday due to the water being too high outside to open the door.

Shame the boys couldn't hold on for another 90 minutes.

(the green car was floating around)

Spark

Global Moderator
This is a much better English team and a much worse Australian team than probably any time over the past 20 years. Some of the English teams of the past wouldn't have had problems beating this Aussie team either at the moment.

Read a bit in the newspaper about this Engish team possibly becoming the best in the world. Could easily happen if they address a couple of weaknesses, as every team has some at the moment.

In fact, they could do it as they are in my opinion.
They will certainly give SA/India a serious run for their money at home IMO.

Rant0r

Couldn't leave work Tuesday due to the water being too high outside to open the door.

Shame the boys couldn't hold on for another 90 minutes.

(the green car was floating around)
Hahaha, sif modern aussie batsmen no how to hold on