• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Political Correctness Gone Mad

harsh.ag

Honestly I don't really want to comment about transpeople's brain wiring but I'll argue that you can say a similar thing about everyone who signed it, who I'm guessing also had different interpretations of what it meant.
I didn't say you should generalize

Uppercut

The letter is basically "people are using their free speech to say things like 'X is racist and Y should be fired', when they should be using their free speech to say things we want them to say."

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
as we speak state leaders Orbán (Hun), Janša (Svn) and Vučić (Srb) are holding a debate about how Europe needs to be Uncensored, and how the cruel labelling of their policies as fascist and populist are stifling the conversation

lol

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
The letter is basically "people are using their free speech to say things like 'X is racist and Y should be fired', when they should be using their free speech to say things we want them to say."
This is almost always the left wing/liberal approach to free speech, in my experience.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
I think largely it is ignorance, because people don't actually know what free speech is really about. And we can thank American media for that one.
Yeah, I agree, but I don't think people really understand fundamental/human rights generally tbh.

Spark

Global Moderator
Seriously though imagine trying to explain this to literally anyone who doesn't spend time on Twitter, i.e. 75% of the population. People would look at you like you'd grown a second head.

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
Seriously though imagine trying to explain this to literally anyone who doesn't spend time on Twitter, i.e. 75% of the population. People would look at you like you'd grown a second head.
Eh "editors and writers not being able to handle criticism of their vitally important work and therefore writing a massive open letter" isn't exactly new drama

Spark

Global Moderator
Eh "editors and writers not being able to handle criticism of their vitally important work and therefore writing a massive open letter" isn't exactly new drama
Kind of the point though, the idea that we're all supposed to Care A Lot About This Very Important Debate The Future Of Democracy Depends On It would seem just totally bonkers to normies.