• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Pool C - New Zealand, Italy, Portugal, Romania, Scotland

Perm

Did you actually see the 'tackle'?

I've played rugby for 6 years FYI, and I accept that spear tackles happen by accident, but there is no way on earth that that was an accident, no way.
Yeah I have, several times and it's still pretty clear in my mind that it was an accident. It looks incredibly bad slowed down, as do all those tackles, but at full speed then you can see how it happened and it was pretty unintentional.

PhoenixFire

Well the only people who actually knowswhether it was accidental are Kevian Mealamu and Tana Umaga, so it's a non starter since they both deny it being purposeful.

Perm

Fail to see how you can lift someone accidentally.
Happens quite a bit. The most effective way of tackling is to lift a person's leg off the ground so that they have less power, and quite often you'll see people do this and try to dump the ball-carrier on their back. Now, they get into trouble when the tackler gets low and drives up into the ball-carrier aswell as lifting the leg, or when another person becomes involved in the tackle and also lifts the leg. Really it's just the outcome of good tackling technique that has gone wrong.

Stefano

Really a bad match played by Italy. Italy took an early 8-0 lead. But they should have scored more points in the first half. If Italy had scored 15 runs (and they could have), the match would have been completely different. There was too much tension in the Italian players after the match against Italy.

The good thing is the victory, although I cannot say I am satisfied.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Happens quite a bit. The most effective way of tackling is to lift a person's leg off the ground so that they have less power, and quite often you'll see people do this and try to dump the ball-carrier on their back. Now, they get into trouble when the tackler gets low and drives up into the ball-carrier aswell as lifting the leg, or when another person becomes involved in the tackle and also lifts the leg. Really it's just the outcome of good tackling technique that has gone wrong.
The point is what they did was illegal. A ruck was formed so they should've been bound to their own players. The fact that they lifted BOD up & then slammed him down shows they weren't, regardless of intent.

The only thing that saved them having very long bans was that the video in the clip PF posted wasn't available during their citing hearing.

Perm

The point is what they did was illegal. A ruck was formed so they should've been bound to their own players. The fact that they lifted BOD up & then slammed him down shows they weren't, regardless of intent.

The only thing that saved them having very long bans was that the video in the clip PF posted wasn't available during their citing hearing.
Let's be serious though, you could award a penalty at every ruck, and I mean every ruck, if the referee was pedantic enough to do so. Yes I think a penalty should've been awarded, and some sort of punishment happen on the field (yellow cards), can't remember if they were brought out though. Also, how often do you see players blowing the opposition of the ball and not being bound to their own players? Almost every ruck. It was an unfortunate accident, but I do beleive it deserved punishment, as do all tackles or clean-outs that end like that, regardless of intent.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Let's be serious though, you could award a penalty at every ruck, and I mean every ruck, if the referee was pedantic enough to do so. Yes I think a penalty should've been awarded, and some sort of punishment happen on the field (yellow cards), can't remember if they were brought out though. Also, how often do you see players blowing the opposition of the ball and not being bound to their own players? Almost every ruck. It was an unfortunate accident, but I do beleive it deserved punishment, as do all tackles or clean-outs that end like that, regardless of intent.
Yeah, very possibly, but there's clear water between technical offences like holding onto the ball or using hands in the ruck & violent ones like this was.

Anyway, 2nd half of NZ - Portugal just kicked off. 53-3, confidently expect the ton.

Perm

Yeah, very possibly, but there's clear water between technical offences like holding onto the ball or using hands in the ruck & violent ones like this was.
I still beleive it was accidental, but it did deserve more punishment than it got.

Perm

I was very impressed with Portugal, and so pleased when they managed to get over the line. As expected New Zealand cracked the ton.

Stefano

It should be said that New Zealand only played at 30%. And that was enough to score 100 points. They did some errors that they seldom do. And this because of lack of concentration. If the All Blacks had played with the same intensity they used against Italy (in the first 30 minutes, they were simply devastating), they would have scored almost 200 points.

nate-d

The AB's will take out the pool. I reckon, based on the performances till now, either the boks, or the AB's will win the cup. However, you can never count out the wallabies, or France for that matter. England, absolutely pathetic, after the hammering from the boks, I dont think they have a chance. I have this nagging feeling that the boks, may just win it. GO THE ALL BLACKS!!!

nate-d

Mate, the AB's against Portugal: the AB's clearly sent out a "B" team. Considering missing a few key players. For sure, 200 points could have been possible.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Jocks looking quite impressive so far it must be said. Sticking to a fairly limited game plan, but it's working. 14-0 after 20 minutes.