• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Pop quiz v1.1

What is your opinion of the season-long ban for Blackman?

• Total voters

James90

FaaipDeOiad said:
Just had the point made to me on MSN that a quarter of a season and 10 games are more or less the same, and in fact a quarter of a season is usually shorter, given there's four one dayers and four FC games in each quarter. Accordingly, I'd like to change my vote to a quarter, and think they should probably be treated as the same vote.
I'm in the same boat. Quarter of a season seems about right.

Cloete

FaaipDeOiad said:
Just had the point made to me on MSN that a quarter of a season and 10 games are more or less the same, and in fact a quarter of a season is usually shorter, given there's four one dayers and four FC games in each quarter. Accordingly, I'd like to change my vote to a quarter, and think they should probably be treated as the same vote.
Add me to that too.

Loony BoB

I've noted the changes in opinion and am also at this time ignoring the vote of the CWXI coach as I am unsure if grade-only players should be included as part of the PA - something which we should probably have to think on, but that can be dealt with afterwards. As far as I'm concerned this poll should be limited completely to Dev League players.

An appeal is being made towards the CWBCC and both Blackman and Smith will be copied into it for their information. Should anyone else wish to see the email, let me know and I'll forward it on to yourselves.

FaaipDeOiad

Loony BoB said:
Should anyone else wish to see the email, let me know and I'll forward it on to yourselves.
Having seen the email now, I'm glad that you've decided to appeal on Blackman's behalf, but your suggested punishment isn't really in line with the votes here. The clear majority of people wanted a reduced ban, and more than 40% wanted a ban in the region of 8-10 games. Any reason why you decided to ask for half a season rather than what the majority of the PA wanted?

Loony BoB

At the time I sent the email, I found 11 players in favour of a half season ban, 11 players wanting it longer than that and 11 players wanting it shorter than that, and that I excluded the votes of CW Black players and the coach for the reasoning of CW Black players having a bias given that they would benefit from a shorter ban. That would be like putting mafia gangsters into a jury during the trial of one of their "people". I ensured I spoke to Smith, who was online at the time, to clarify on that before I sent the appeal.

Oh, the coach was excluded for the other obvious reason. :p

The final bit of reasoning is that I'm realistic and expect my request to be met rather than being the kind of guy to start with a demand I don't expect to be met by the CWBCC and then hanggling to a possible compromise.

Also, your stats are a bit off with the over 40% and the combining of those two percentages to make a majority which isn't a majority (the largest combining percentage would be 10-16 games). Sorry, stats freak here, I just gotta be pedantic. ;) Might be due to people voting since your post, mind you.

Hope that clears it all up. :)

FaaipDeOiad

Loony BoB said:
Also, your stats are a bit off with the over 40% and the combining of those two percentages to make a majority which isn't a majority (the largest combining percentage would be 10-16 games). Sorry, stats freak here, I just gotta be pedantic. ;) Might be due to people voting since your post, mind you.
There were less votes at the time I posted, and the "quarter of a season" and "10 vote" options, which are more or less the same thing, had just over 40% of the votes between them. That's not excluding anyone, just the total votes.

Anyway, half a season is obviously more reasonable than the original amount, and if the Black team members and the player are happy with that, then fine. It's still clearly out of line with the normal range of punishments enforced on players for abuse though, and consistency is the main problem from my perspective.

mikeW

I think the fact that the blacks ex- captain thinks the ban is the right length is pretty damning.

Last edited:

kears_falcon_9

Agreed Mike. Not sure how relevant it will be but of the 11 people that voted that the 1 season ban is right, look at the names [age_master, Blewy, bugssy, chaminda_00, Jamee999, Josh, kears_falcon_9, Kweek, mikeW, Mister Wright, Neil Pickup]

Garven, Blewy, Bugs, Kyle and Neil, probably 5 of the longest serving players and most respected id say. If they think the ban is right, compared to the same amount of rookies thinking the ban is wrong then i wouldve thought there (The older blokes) votes would count for more.

James90

Bit disappointed that Black votes wouldn't be counted because I know a lot of them genuinely thought Blackman's ban should be shortened with no bias at all. It's probably fair though.

EDIT: The fact that Black votes aren't counted...I'm not saying the length of the ban is fair.

Last edited:

James90

kears_falcon_9 said:
Garven, Blewy, Bugs, Kyle and Neil, probably 5 of the longest serving players and most respected id say. If they think the ban is right, compared to the same amount of rookies thinking the ban is wrong then i wouldve thought there (The older blokes) votes would count for more.
I'm sure a lot of them and Tharmi as well were involved in making the decision though.

chaminda_00

James90 said:
I'm sure a lot of them and Tharmi as well were involved in making the decision though.
I wasn't involved actually, its a domestic issue and not an issue for a international player.