• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Power Training

HeathDavisSpeed

Having read the help files, I'm not too sure on my strategy for training power.

I had some U-19 NT guy tell me my player won't play as his power's too low. I personally don't see that I should be training an U-19 in power as it trains slower at a younger age, whilst other skills train quicker at U-19.

Just wondering if anyone is training Power in their Youth team? Also, what is the best age for Power training? What are your targets for Power for batsmen, seamers and spinners?

Any tips would be welcome. Pretty sure I'm missing a trick here.

chaminda_00

That explains why my backup spinners have better bowling summaries then my backup seamers. Even though they have the same level of bowling, tech, experience, endurance and similar form. Their low power doesn't make any difference, yet it does for seamers.

Usually start training power when guys are 20 and start focusing more when they are 23. Don't train power at youth level personally.

Scaly piscine

I train power to a basic level at 20/21, pops pretty quickly at that age - takes 4 weeks usually. Leave the higher levels for mid/late 20s.

For seam all-rounders I train power more at an earlier age.

EARLOBE

I train seamers one level while they're in youths, usually to poor or ordinary. I've also trained a couple of my batsmen because U19 managers wanted me to, I probably wouldn't have otherwise though. Once they're in the seniors I just give them another pop each season. I want them all to have power equal to their primaries eventually.

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
I tend to get train mine to reasonable before switching them back to primary training (usually around 20/21). Only have a couple of players in the optimum training age range (they're 24 and 25).

Given that power trains faster in the mid 20s, has anyone got an idea when exactly would be a good time to start said training? I've heard 23-27 for power but also 24-27 and 24-26.

Scaly piscine

Because training times for other skills drop off I think 25+ is the best time to train power.

Power might train a little faster at 24 than 28, but then so will other skills - and presumably that difference is going to be exaggerated when Ash slows the training down for older players.

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
Because training times for other skills drop off I think 25+ is the best time to train power.

Power might train a little faster at 24 than 28, but then so will other skills - and presumably that difference is going to be exaggerated when Ash slows the training down for older players.
Ah, yeah makes sense. Might make it mandatory that once a player turns 25 he'll go on power training until he turns 27...