• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Second Round- Group 2 - India, New Zealand, Pakistan, Australia, Bangladesh

harsh.ag

The players are a greedy bunch of wankers who would rather rip off their domestic compatriots than receive anything less than their extortionate salaries and match fees.

The most recent dispute brought this very firmly to light. Sammy's letter (which was likely ghostwritten by Bravo) showed no regard for anyone but the players in the squad, most of whom are already millionaires.
Most of these players are quite young, aren't they? Wrt to extortionate salaries, are they asking for more than their international counterparts?

And for all the flack the board gets, at least they actually negotiate with the players union, and pay their players - they're miles, miles better than SLC, PCB, BCCI etc.
Think their egos dwarf those of the players tbh.

Athlai

Not Terrible
They're still my 2nd fav team and the one I'd most like to see win after NZ (realistically speaking, otherwise it would be Bang or one of the associates), Who's your 2nd fav team to win it?
Bangers is realistic IMO. After that SL, then Pak, then SA, then maybe WI, mostly for Sammy.

hendrix

Most of these players are quite young, aren't they? Wrt to extortionate salaries, are they asking for more than their international counterparts?
An Indian or Australian or English salary is going to be bigger than others, obviously.

Windies salaries are significantly larger than NZ's, for example. And obviously they dwarf the likes of SL.
Yet the Windies domestic players get bugger all the the grounds and facilities are poor because no money comes down to the base layers.

The players union tried to negotiate more equitable pay, which is why most of the players in the international team have disavowed themselves from it.

So they choose not to have a union but then do **** like not reading their contracts for a year then threatening to pull out of major events when they find they're not getting as much money as they want (even though they're still getting a very, very healthy payout).

Last edited:

harsh.ag

An Indian or Australian or English salary is going to be bigger than others, obviously.

Windies salaries are significantly larger than NZ's, for example. And obviously they dwarf the likes of SL.
Yet the Windies domestic players get bugger all the the grounds and facilities are poor because no money comes down to the base layers.

The players union tried to negotiate more equitable pay, which is why most of the players in the international team have disavowed themselves from it.

So they choose not to have a union but then do **** like not reading their contracts for a year then threatening to pull out of major events when they find they're not getting as much money as they want (even though they're still getting a very, very healthy payout).
Ah. I guess this is quite in line wrt downward nominal wage rigidities.

honestbharani

Come on Joe.. Smiley s just in a good mood now that finally all his gambhiring is paying off and Sharjeel is turning into the modern Sanath.. :)

smalishah84

The Tiger King
No smali, just no. I encourage the usage of puns, but that's just terribad.
**** off Joe, its hard to know when you're being serious. That was a good pun, come on

Come on Joe.. Smiley s just in a good mood now that finally all his gambhiring is paying off and Sharjeel is turning into the modern Sanath.. :)
haha, the next sanath my foot. The match is still on but just watch sharjeel do **** all in his next innings.

aussie tragic

Is anyone else confused as to why the last 2 pages have all been about WI when they're not even in this group...I had to keep checking that I wasn't in the wrong thread lol

Looking forward to the India v Australia which would be a do or die, but not convinced Australia has learned how to play T20 yet...Also Warner at #4 is just strange...Warner, Watson, Khawaja, Smith looks so much better to me

Last edited:

SteveNZ

Radio sport hosts and listeners in NZ saying 'we need to lose one' to win the whole thing, ahead of the Bangers game. Ugh. Christian rock radio for me in future.

Bahnz

Nah, they're paid about the same, and there are only 12 national contracts in WI compared to 20 in NZ.

West Indies losing an unfair game | Cricket | ESPN Cricinfo

hendrix

Nah, they're paid about the same, and there are only 12 national contracts in WI compared to 20 in NZ.
I believe that article hasn't adjusted for the difference in dollars, but anyway.

read the reports on the latest dispute.

They receive huge bonuses for playing in global events.

In any case, 100-140k base retainer is pretty good, especially given extra match fees , bonuses, t20 tournies that they play in around the world, not to mention sponsorship.

They're very well off.

Last edited:

smalishah84

The Tiger King
yeah, per capita income in NZ is 30,000 or so

In jamaica for e.g it is around 9000

WI cricketers are paid wayyyy above average in their respective countries

Bahnz

yeah, per capita income in NZ is 30,000 or so

In jamaica for e.g it is around 9000

WI cricketers are paid wayyyy above average in their respective countries
Yeah, though in Barbados and Trinidad, average incomes are significantly higher than that (which I imagine creates its own little set of challenges).

aussie tragic

So exciting 2 games coming up with the following required to get in the semi-final with NZ

Australia - must beat Pak and India (can lose to Pak if only just and would then have to flog India to get run rate above Pak)
Pakistan - must beat Australia and hope Australia only just beat India
India - Must beat Australia

Last edited:

smalishah84

The Tiger King
Yeah, though in Barbados and Trinidad, average incomes are significantly higher than that (which I imagine creates its own little set of challenges).
I think only trinidad has really high income compared to the other islands. That does have its challenges but it isn't like the WI players are on subsistence levels

hendrix

I don't want to sound like I'm saying that asking for more automatically makes you greedy or anything. I'm all for player advocacy. And I don't know the exact financial rundown of west Indies cricket.

But I do remember that they were demanding a huge WC squad payout that was a large proportion of the revenue the Windies gets from ICC, at the expense of players either not in the squad (test players) or domestic players.

At best they're ignorant and don't consider the consequence of their actions.