• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Semi final 1: Brazil vs Germany

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
I doubt even England would have been given a hiding as bad as that to be honest.

My only regret about today was that this game was not the final. It would be been literally the greatest thing ever.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Also, this Bernard bloke who operated on the wing for Brazil today, I know he's quite highly rated (or at least used to be), but honestly, in this tournament he has looked absolutely hopeless, and not just in today's game. Thank god Arsenal managed to miss out on getting him somehow.

Burgey

It's actually hard to know where to put Germany's performance given the lack of defending by Brazil.

Obviously they were clinical and ruthless, but how do you actually rate it? No side could imagine scoring three goals in four minutes in a WC semi. Blokes were lining up to score. Never seen anything like it at this level.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
It's actually hard to know where to put Germany's performance given the lack of defending by Brazil.

Obviously they were clinical and ruthless, but how do you actually rate it? No side could imagine scoring three goals in four minutes in a WC semi. Blokes were lining up to score. Never seen anything like it at this level.
It was good, but by their standards it was nothing remarkable. They got the job done in a ruthless and clinical way, but Brazil really were absolute dirge.

Pothas

Also, this Bernard bloke who operated on the wing for Brazil today, I know he's quite highly rated (or at least used to be), but honestly, in this tournament he has looked absolutely hopeless, and not just in today's game. Thank god Arsenal managed to miss out on getting him somehow.
Bit harsh, not played all that much before today had he? and then well today was today.

Just heard David Luiz on the radio (in Portuguese), pretty powerful stuff.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Bit harsh, not played all that much before today had he? and then well today was today.

Just heard David Luiz on the radio (in Portuguese), pretty powerful stuff.
I dunno, I think he's looked really underwhelming throughout the tournament to be honest. I suspect he's just had a bad time of it, and there must be more to him that what we've seen over the last few weeks for him to have got the reputation he has, but I've honestly found him to be really unimpressive.

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
Germany scored two more goals tonight than England have in their last two campaigns combined. Of course, they equalled it after half an hour.

akilana

Glad for Germany. How often they make it to the final!!

They are not exciting as they were back in 2010 but they are more matured team now and know how to grind out wins. With Spain deteriorating so quickly, it's Germany's time to shine but never expected 7 goals.

akilana

It was good, but by their standards it was nothing remarkable. They got the job done in a ruthless and clinical way, but Brazil really were absolute dirge.
Absolutely. I think they were better in the 2n half against Ghana, especially when they needed to get a goal to draw than today.

Meridio

Got the distinct impression that the Germs knew this Brazil side was there for the taking. Plenty of teams would have sat back at 1-0 and looked to kill the game, but at every opportunity to counter attack they did. Brazilian midfield and defence were non-existant, there were times players like Ozil, Khedira etc would receive the ball in 20m of space.

Tangles

My cable crapped out and I came home to no game on the dvr. Had to watch Espns extended highlights. Hard to get the flow but man that was just crazy. Conceding 5 in 29 mins in a home semi. Oh my. ESPN absolutely slamming David Louis. Which is valid but where was the rest of the defense or the whole midfield?

Apparently Fred has scored 42 in 46 games in Brazil. How bad must that league be. Lol.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
There were several but there was one where he said David Luiz had been the star of the WC and would see Brazil through, or words to that effect

Stapel

And after a good night's sleep, I'm even more puzzled..........

That was by far the worst defending I've seen all tournament. It's quite unbelievable. After rewatching the first half hour, I simply cannot come to the conclusion the Germans put down a brilliant performance. It wasn't great football, where they made the Brazilians crumble under pressure. It was just punishing every silly mistake ruthlessly.

If David Luis not picking up Thomas Müller's (1-0) simple cross box move is bad enough, Marcelo's absurd way of giving Müller (assist to 2-0) 7 yards of space, which included a demolition of the off-side trap, is probably the pinacle of crap defense.