• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Semi Final 1 - New Zealand v England (30th March)

Who will win this match?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

JediNudist

Sodhi has been excellent but what makes you think his test game will be any better than the last time he was tried?
Yes 11 tests with an average of 52 but he has seemed to have improved a lot and remember he is just 23. Also he had only on season of domestic cricket and was thrown into the test arena so no wonder his figures are not too good. We are too quick in NZ to throw young guys into the test area with little experience then chuck them on the garbage heap after a couple of years if they flounder./ . The guy just needs persevering with. I'd rather him than Craig.

Last edited:

SkyBlue

Some incredible death bowling from England.Dint think they had it in them.

NZ missed a trick by not opening the bowling with spinners.

Zinzan

Some incredible death bowling from England.Dint think they had it in them.

NZ missed a trick by not opening the bowling with spinners.
I don't think that's where they missed the main trick after being 90/1 after 10 and Santner did bowl in the PP (although perhaps Sodhi could have) and went for 14 IIRC.

Hurricane

I was hoping we would pick 3 spinners as well just because it was England. But I guess the expected pitch conditions told KaneHess to go for the seam approach.

Still good things came out of this tournament

1) We made the semis when we weren't expected to.
2) Ish Sodhi
3) Santner

Well done blackcaps. Better luck next time.

SkyBlue

Is Jason Roy another South African import ? His accent seems so South African-ish

And whatever happened to that Kieswetter dude ?!

91Jmay

I reckon we'd have plundered Nathan McCullum to be honest on that kind of pitch. Not sure the selection was wrong, just execution with bat and not opening with spin.

SkyBlue

Can England finally develop into a great side in the shorter formats ?

They have a good core now who are all young.

Roy(25),Hales(27),Root(25),Stokes(25),Butler(25) and ofcourse there's Ali,Willey,Morgan who are all pretty young-ish anyway.If they can stick around for a couple of yrs and perform consistently,it'll bode well for them to perform well in future ICC tournaments.Next WC is in England so they already have a pretty solid foundation to build on.

Hurricane

I reckon we'd have plundered Nathan McCullum to be honest on that kind of pitch. Not sure the selection was wrong, just execution with bat and not opening with spin.
McCullum is the best spinner of the three at opening the bowling and bowling in the PP in general.

That said, I don't want to take the lustre of England's win, I am really impressed that England have such an aggressive batting team.

91Jmay

I reckon Right arm offie who isn't Ashwin to Hales/Roy in the PP would have been carnage, albeit probably not 16 off the first over carnage. At least Santner has the angle and Sodhi has the variation. Not to mention McCullum's record against England is really bad.

Hurricane

I reckon Right arm offie who isn't Ashwin to Hales/Roy in the PP would have been carnage, albeit probably not 16 off the first over carnage. At least Santner has the angle and Sodhi has the variation. Not to mention McCullum's record against England is really bad.
NMac in past World T20 tournaments has been our best bowler. And he always opened.

I doubt he has played England much in T20s but I am too lazy to look that up.

Your point about bowling to two right handers is a good one, India and Bangers had a leftie opening and he did very well against them.

91Jmay

Yeah, he might have gone better than Milne (however Milne's first two overs weren't actually that bad) just not sure it would have made a difference. His batting as a lower order hitter might have proved useful though.

9 matches 30.0 overs 281 runs 5 wickets @ 9.36 runs per over.

Not a great deal but enough to know he is the type of spinner England like.

LightningStrike

Yes 11 tests with an average of 52 but he has seemed to have improved a lot and remember he is just 23. Also he had only on season of domestic cricket and was thrown into the test arena so no wonder his figures are not too good. We are too quick in NZ to throw young guys into the test area with little experience then chuck them on the garbage heap after a couple of years if they flounder./ . The guy just needs persevering with. I'd rather him than Craig.
True. Spinners get better with age. You just have to stick with them.

Swanny was almost 30 before he came to attention and became an International test master.

91Jmay

Jeetan Patel would have gone extremely well on these surfaces. Adds more as a lower order hitter than Santner at least as well so could bat ahead of him in situations like the semi final.

Him, Santner and Sodhi would have been fearsome.

Hurricane

Jeetan Patel would have gone extremely well on these surfaces. Adds more as a lower order hitter than Santner at least as well so could bat ahead of him in situations like the semi final.

Him, Santner and Sodhi would have been fearsome.
Last time I saw Patel with a bat in hand he was standing beside the square leg umpire to avoid facing Dale Steyn.

NMac had better bowling figures than him in the much vaunted Georgie Pie Smash. By memory NMac's economy was in the 5's and Patel's in the 7's - don't quote me.

91Jmay

Patel has been the best T20 bowler in England last few years and Dale Steyn is hardly a worry in T20s.