• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Semi Finals/Final - Australia, Sri Lanka, England and Pakistan

Uppercut

Ireland did absolutely maul you though. Huge slice of luck to get out of that one alive, but tbf you never looked back. By far the best LO cricket I've ever seen an England side produce.

shrik

its not justice....

THey were comprehensivly beatting WI's
also to note that Ireland only scored 69 against the WI's agianst whom england scored 190 odd runs...so they were way better taht them

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Ireland did absolutely maul you though. Huge slice of luck to get out of that one alive, but tbf you never looked back. By far the best LO cricket I've ever seen an England side produce.
Not really - bowled well but I severely doubt we'd have gone on to lose - we'll never know but you can't call it a mauling when only team got to bat (properly)

Uppercut

Whether you'd have gone on to lose or not doesn't change the fact that you were vaaaaastly inferior for the period of the game that actually happened.

Marcuss

I don't disagree ftr, just found Marcuss' reply rather amusing/confrontational given the nature of what happened in that game.
What Corrin said. We absolutely battered the WI with the bat and then they scored at a decent rate for 2 overs of the powerplay. Hardly makes up for it all does it.
Considering our bowling was, arguably, what won us most of our matches, restricting our opponents to sub-par scores, then I severely doubt the WI would've gotten all that close to our total had the match not been interrupted.
We smashed them for 20 overs of that match only for rain to interrupt and make the WI 6 more important.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Whether you'd have gone on to lose or not doesn't change the fact that you were vaaaaastly inferior for the period of the game that actually happened.
No this is silly. Generally people felt we had actually hit a par score on that ground. Your bowlers bowled better than our batsmen batted, for sure. But you can't say one team was better than the other in a game like cricket if you've only had one innings.

I'm not trying to take away from what Ireland did - I'm really, really, not. You should be proud of being the only team to show any fight against the world champs :ph34r:

But I can't buy into what you are saying at all

andyc

Find it a bit ironic that English fans have been accusing Aussies of sour grapes wrt team make-up, and then going on to defend their loss against the Windies tooth and nail. The two games were - under the rules - won fair and square, and given that England finished the group stage with one loss and one NR, they were fairly lucky to actually move on. They obviously seized that opportunity with both hands, but they were hardly perfect throughout the whole tournament; no team was, clearly. Just accept it and move on, IMO.

Marcuss

Find it a bit ironic that English fans have been accusing Aussies of sour grapes wrt team make-up, and then going on to defend their loss against the Windies tooth and nail. The two games were - under the rules - won fair and square, and given that England finished the group stage with one loss and one NR, they were fairly lucky to actually move on. They obviously seized that opportunity with both hands, but they were hardly perfect throughout the whole tournament; no team was, clearly. Just accept it and move on, IMO.
Not sure they're parrallel tbh. If you want to criticise eligibility rules and qualification periods thanby all means do so. The sour grapes is for criticising us for picking these players when they're available for us to select.
The DL issue is that we were shafted by DL. If were criticising the WI and saying they were diabolical and what not then fair enough, call us for sour grapes.
I don't see any issue in saying England batted exceptionally well against the WI only for rain and D/L to swing the game, disproportionately in favour of the WI.

flibbertyjibber

Find it fairly ironic that Aussies keep bringing up the West Indies game having been thrashed in the final by a better side.Just accept it and move on.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Pretty much everyone agreed at the time of the Windies game that it was a farce so it's just pointless that it keeps getting brought up now

Uppercut

No this is silly. Generally people felt we had actually hit a par score on that ground. Your bowlers bowled better than our batsmen batted, for sure. But you can't say one team was better than the other in a game like cricket if you've only had one innings.

I'm not trying to take away from what Ireland did - I'm really, really, not. You should be proud of being the only team to show any fight against the world champs :ph34r:

But I can't buy into what you are saying at all
That's not even remotely true. Collingwood said the complete opposite after the game. If your point is that 120 wasn't as bad a score as it might have looked then you're right, but it was still well below par. Besides, the pitch looked perfectly fine when Irish players were batting on it :ph34r:.

Everything else is speculation, but that's just a lie. Why don't you look through the thread at the time and see how many English fans were saying, "yeah, think we got about par there"?

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
That's not even remotely true. Collingwood said the complete opposite after the game. If your point is that 120 wasn't as bad a score as it might have looked then you're right, but it was still well below par. Besides, the pitch looked perfectly fine when Irish players were batting on it :ph34r:.

Everything else is speculation, but that's just a lie. Why don't you look through the thread at the time and see how many English fans were saying, "yeah, think we got about par there"?
Okay, I take your point, it wasn't par, what I should have said is that people generally felt we had enough.