• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Sledger - does he work?

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Sledger has been around for far longer than the username has been in use. He is used as a forum distraction to break a poster's concentration. These "sledges" have varied from the clever to the downright crude - but we won't go into that.

Obviously some members are more susceptible to forum distractions and some set themselves up as targets for abuse. What I'm interested in is those posters who are affected by sledger and those sledger should avoid aggravating. One in the latter category was, apparently, Burgey. Any form of abuse saw him grit his teeth and determinedly apply himself to foiling his opponents. He was more likely to succumb to his own car's parking space.

As a footnote, it was sledger that indirectly led me to call stumps on my own posting career. I was 50 but still creating new threads (in Site Discussion). I rarely, if ever, spoke to opposing posters preferring an emoticon or a like to express my feelings. After he'd called my threads inexpedient a few times I gave an opposing poster a sarcastic "like". He responded with, "What are you staring at grand-dad?" I thought, "Right! Time for a condescending eye-roll." The young Turk turned his back on my intended emoticon only for it to hit him in the backside. I couldn't help myself. I marched down the thread and said, "Sunshine, if you're scared of that and I can't get it up any higher we should both give the game away." I retired at the end of the thread with the BOTM award for Site Discussion posting.