• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Steve Smith: Most Runs in a Series (Post Bradman)?

How many runs will Steve Smith make in the final Test?

• 304 or more - beating Bradman's all time series record

Votes: 2 10.0%
  • 169 or more - beating the post Bradman series record

Votes: 8 40.0%
  • 159 or more - most runs by a batsman in 4 matches of a series

Votes: 2 10.0%
  • 96 or more - most runs in a post Bradman 5 match Ashes series

Votes: 3 15.0%
  • Less than 96.

Votes: 5 25.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

mr_mister

Just getting one more ton would be satisfying enough for me

As soon as he missed the third test the 974 wasn't happening.

Though I called it during the first test and LT scoffed at it, there just seemed something so determined about the way he was playing his shots

aussie tragic

Here are the top 10 leading series run scorers for Australia post Bradman (5 test series unless stated)

1. Taylor 839 (6)
2. Harvey 834
3. Smith 769 (4)
4. Ponting 706 (4)
5. Chappell 702 (6)
6. Walters 699
7. Smith 687
8. Smith 671 (3*)
9. Harvey 660
10. Harvey 650

Like Harvey, Smith 3 times in this list already and should make it to the top the way he is batting.

Lillian Thomson

Just getting one more ton would be satisfying enough for me

As soon as he missed the third test the 974 wasn't happening.

Though I called it during the first test and LT scoffed at it, there just seemed something so determined about the way he was playing his shots
If he does it I’ll buy you a hat, otherwise I’m still right if he doesn’t.

Burgey

The only thing stopping him getting to 974 in the next test is England likely won't make enough runs in its two innings for him to need to make that many.

CricAddict

The only thing stopping him getting to 974 in the next test is England likely won't make enough runs in its two innings for him to need to make that many.
Or he likely won't have partners at the other end to make that many.

Lillian Thomson

It's still a massive amount of runs in one match by any standards. But if he does it I'll be the first to applaud. Records that were set decades before you were born being broken in your life time is quite rare, so I'm always pleased to be able to witness it.

a massive zebra

So in the second innings, Steve Smith needs:

16 runs to pass Alastair Cook for most runs in a post WWII 5 match Ashes series.

59 runs to pass Clive Lloyd for the highest lowest score in a series (min 5 innings).

79 runs to pass Viv Richards for the most runs by a batsman who played 4 matches in a series.

89 runs to pass Mark Taylor for the most runs in a post Bradman Test series.

224 runs to pass Don Bradman for the most runs ever in a Test series.

Last edited:

aussie tragic

So in the second innings, Steve Smith needs:

59 runs to pass Clive Lloyd for the highest lowest score in a series (min 5 innings).
Wasn't that a 3 test series? Not sure what the relevance is for 5 innings minimum as Smith will bat 7 innings.

A mirror image of Smiths 751 run series is Everton Weekes who scored 779 runs in 7 innings of a 5 Test series in 1948/49. He also had 6 50+ scores after 6 innings and in his last innings he scored 48.

So Smith currently needs 28 runs to match Weekes almost identical effort and 49 runs to have the highest lowest score in a 5 Test series (min 7 innings)

Last edited:

a massive zebra

Wasn't that a 3 test series? Not sure what the relevance is for 5 innings minimum as Smith will bat 7 innings.*
It was a 4 Test series (West Indies vs England, 1980/81) and Smith has played 4 Tests in this series, so it is perfectly comparable.

A mirror image of Smiths 751 run series is Everton Weekes who scored 779 runs in 7 innings of a 5 Test series in 1948/49. He also had 6 50+ scores after 6 innings and in his last innings he scored 48.*

So Smith currently needs 28 runs to match Weekes almost identical effort and 49 runs to have the highest lowest score in a 5 Test series (min 7 innings)
I would argue Smith is not eligible for this record because, unlike Weekes, he has not played all 5 Tests of the series.

Last edited:

mr_mister

That's what the min 7 innings is for. Unless Weekes batted twice in all his tests it's not some true all inclusive record

Barnes missed a test in his 49 wicket series