• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Strange commentary thread.

zaremba

Felt a bit sorry for Maxwell today. It’s a TMS tradition that the visiting commentator comes on to describe a win. He came on at 9 down. He wasn’t on at the end but described a lot of Stokes 6’s.
He came on at Edgbaston in 2005 as well, to celebrate the supposed CrimWin. Hence "England win - by two runs!!"

Lillian Thomson

Test Match Special is getting seriously dud. The Root dismissal "He's fallen over and the finger goes up". Lyons bowling to Burns "A terrible ball that almost got a wicket". One delivery "That's gone straight through." Turned out to be an edge that went between the keeper and the slips. The skill of the commentator used to be to describe the play as it happens and then discuss it. This bunch just bluster and describe it after. Never thought I'd miss Henry Blofeld.

andmark

Blofeld was great. David Lloyd on the otherhand is a try-hard.

Edit: Stokes just got out with me sitting in front of the laptop serving as a radio. I didn't notice he'd got out due to their excessively understated commentary.

Last edited:

morgieb

Maybe I'm just in a ****** mood but Bumble and Beefy are giving me the shits massively here.

quincywagstaff

The only positive thing I can say about Botham's commentary is that he doesn't bring up his own career hardly at all (something Damien Fleming is shameless at).

Otherwise his commentary is dreadful. Provides no insight, has no obvious commentary stylistic skills and most of the time seems to be wishing he were somewhere else.

andmark

Maxwell trying to Gambhir by saying Aus could be dismissed for 120 and England can win. I can't blame him and yet I do.

Lillian Thomson

Botham “I’m surprised Stokes walked.”

Well okay, a few people were.

“I’m not sure Tim Paine would have reviewed it.”

SteveNZ

Botham “I’m surprised Stokes walked.”

Well okay, a few people were.

“I’m not sure Tim Paine would have reviewed it.”
That was fair though? They probably would have, but there's been instances where teams haven't. I say well played to Stokes - in such an important moment, he could have easily stayed around. And what's the harm? They don't burn a review and nor would he in any way be branded a poor sport. For a competitor like him to just walk off, I think that speaks somewhat to character (yes he chinned blokes, I get it. They're not mutually exclusive)

Lillian Thomson

That was fair though? They probably would have, but there's been instances where teams haven't. I say well played to Stokes - in such an important moment, he could have easily stayed around. And what's the harm? They don't burn a review and nor would he in any way be branded a poor sport. For a competitor like him to just walk off, I think that speaks somewhat to character (yes he chinned blokes, I get it. They're not mutually exclusive)
Very admirable. But Paine not reviewing it is trash.

burr

Sky is now better than TMS I reckon. People like Nasser and Ricky are professionals. TMS has become horribly partisan and I feel sad for them. If you are being paid to call the game I should not know which team you support apart from making an assumption based on your accent. This use of we and only getting Australians to interview Australians and vice versa is awful.