• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The American Politics thread

LongHopCassidy

Seems like the fashionable thing to do nowadays.

This is the shiny new repository for all partisan crapola re: tea parties, Obama, House scandals, Senate scandals, Fox News et cetera.

To kick this off, Sarah Palin took a stab at tea-partiers, of all people. Dissent in the ranks? You betcha.

Can't see the Democrats retaining seats in the midterms this year, even in light of healthcare. Republicans now have a personal grassroots army to doorknock with the right-wing evangelicals and the robber barons.

Last edited:

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Haha, I might like this thread. Let's see how it goes.

Republicans will win the house this year, but Dems will keep the Senate. Sad after only four years and losing 40 seats is quite an achievement, but at least Dems did something.

I hope when they are the minority in the Senate (probably won't happen in this election), they give the Republicans a dose of their own medicine, and literally fillibuster everything while making up lies about every piece of legislation they introduce.

Fusion

Global Moderator
I hope when they are the minority in the Senate (probably won't happen in this election), they give the Republicans a dose of their own medicine, and literally fillibuster everything while making up lies about every piece of legislation they introduce.
That's a little tricky to pull off when your guy is in the White House. The President ultimately gets blamed for everything. So if the Democrats filibuster everything and prevent anything from being passed, Obama gets the blame for inaction. Now obviously the Democrats probably will want to defeat anything the Republicans try to pass because they have major ideological differences. However, they can't be pure obstructionists like the Republicans are because they have a Presidency to save. Like you stated though, it's highly unlikely that the Republicans take over the Senate in this election. Heck, I'm going to go on a limb and say that the Democrats will retain the House as well. They'll lose their solid lead, but not the majority.

Adamc

Haha, love filibusters. Most ridiculous thing ever.

Do Americans actually take Palin seriously? Thought she would disappear on a wave of ridicule after 2008, but after Obama she still seems to be the most talked-about political figure in the US. Is there any possibility that she will be on a Republican ticket again? Might be worth it if Tina Fey brings her Palin act out of retirement, though.

Last edited:

LongHopCassidy

Currently the favourite for GOP presidential nominee, IIRC. Nobody springs to mind as to who'd actually beat her, let alone steamroll her for the sexed-up pawn of the Religious Right she is.

Matt79

Global Moderator
Hey, I think you guys are seriously underestimating the sex appeal of Mit Romney (seen here describing his last visit to Hooters).

social

Have a few American friends here, all voted Democrat and all regret it

Havent checked the opinion polls myself, but at least one is saying that if an election were held tomorrow, Obama would get the arse

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Don't know about that, none of the Repub candidates are strong enough. His approval rating is at around 50%, which is not bad.

I do not regret voting democrat, but yes, many are dissatisfied with the economy.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
The problem is that the dems did what they promised, but the right has a better PR wing. Plus the teabaggers. Now if they really push for immigration reform and end to don't ask don't tell, they've done everything reasonable in the face of bat**** craziness that they were faced with.

I think at this point there is nothing the dems can do to stave off a massive defeat in congress in 2010, but at least if they get their latino base excited by doing immigration reform, they can maybe minimize it.

Last edited:

GraemeSmith

The problem is that a significant number of Americans are acting like idiots. They want the president and the democrats to pull out a magic wand and make everything right. You ask them what they want they say jobs and the economy, okay so you guys want another stimulus? No, they want to cut spending and yet want the government to create jobs. :unsure:They seem to want Obama and the Democrats to pull jobs out of their asses.

It would suck if Republicans make huge gains in the congress but I have hope that the Republicans will manage to shoot themselves in the foot. For example, I thought for sure Harry Reid was a gonner but considering the bat**** insane candidate the Repubs have nominated in Nevada he might be able to squeeze a win. Republicans are trying to be too clever by half, have gone too far to the right and have openly embraced craziness. The other day I was watching tv and this Republican former FEMA director came and basically said that the recent oil spill was a plot by the Obama and the democrats to take down oil, coal and other carbon based energy sources.:laugh:

Last edited:

Lostman

Palin and Romney are the top republican candidates for the 2012 election.
A mormon and a born again, imagine this crew having the codes to nukes:unsure:

Lostman

. The other day I was watching tv and this Republican former FEMA director came and basically said that the recent oil spill was a plot by the Obama and the democrats to take down oil, coal and other carbon based energy sources.:laugh:
:laugh: I saw this interview as well. On CNN no less.

Fusion

Global Moderator
. The other day I was watching tv and this Republican former FEMA director came and basically said that the recent oil spill was a plot by the Obama and the democrats to take down oil, coal and other carbon based energy sources.:laugh:
That would be Michael Brown. Or "Brownie" as Bush famously referred to him. This conspiracy hatching nut job was the man in charge of FEMA (the department in charge of disaster response in America) when Katrina hit New Orleans. Yup, we should all listen to his theories for sure.

Goughy

Palin and Romney are the top republican candidates for the 2012 election.
A mormon and a born again, imagine this crew having the codes to nukes:unsure:
Im no fan of Romney and, as some on here will know, Im an atheist but I think that last sentance sounds very bad. If it had read "a christian/muslim/jew etc and a born again, imagine this crew having the codes to nukes:unsure:" then Im sure people would have paid more attention. It sounds pretty bad.

I know a number of Mormons. I think their religion is pretty wacky (but to me they all are) but so far all have been good, honest people. Im not sure what that statement is supposed to mean.

A Mormon

Last edited:

Sanz

Have a few American friends here, all voted Democrat and all regret it

Havent checked the opinion polls myself, but at least one is saying that if an election were held tomorrow, Obama would get the arse
Good thing that they elect Presidents for 4 years. While I am not very happy with the current situation, I don't see how anyone could have done better than what Obama has done.