• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The best thing about this tournament for me

Pedro Delgado

Jono said:
Yeah but you're looking at it from an English cricket fan's perspective, not a cricket fan's perspective. I'm not going to judge the tournament on the fact that England are playing crap players, I'm judging it on the fact there's been good cricket. Couldn't care less about whether England are warming up for the Ashes or not.

I try not to forget that cricket is a world sport, and not just for the colonials.
Yeah cool. Was a little worse for wear when I posted that.

Carry on.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Pedro Delgado said:
Brazil sadly is all about Nike these days, well has been since the '98 final really; the team I used to love is now a marketing machine.

More of a League man myself, don't think NZ have won a World Cup at Union so I'm not sure where you're going with that, I'm a romantic so can sort of see what you mean, supporting the men who ultimately have no balls etc but play attractively, they are the Croatia of rugby perhaps, such a little place.

As for West Indies, bollocks. I remember the days of the black washes, the Islands' juggernaut that had no sympathy for anyone; they can have another few years in the wilderness for me.

E2A: and really, a few wins in a warm up for the WC isn't really a "re-emergence of the Windies", they need to start winning Test series', plus they lost to us which is unforgivable in ODIs if you fancy yourself.
I think someone once said of Brazil that England may've invented football, but Brazil perfected it. That's pretty much what I mean with the ABs & the Windies. They might not have won Bill since 1987, but the All-Blacks play Rugby with an instinct & a verve that we can only aspire to. Where our backs see a wall of defenders, their best players see the space. When one sees the best Brazilians they look like they might have been designed with football in mind; with the profusion of Maori, Samoan & Tongan blood in NZ one can say the same of New Zealanders & Rugby.

I guess because they were so dominant in my formative years the idea of the Windies being the premier test nation has stuck with me. In the 80s the idea of us taking a test from them, much less a series, seemed insane. Their bowling may've lacked variety & even much subtlety, but one couldn't help but marvel at the athleticism of yer Marshalls, yer Bishops & yer Pattersons.

I agree with what you say about the Windies not sympathising with our plight over the nigh-on three decades they consistently rolled us over but much as you despair of Nike's involvement with Brazil, all the reports of the influence of (shudder) American sports in the Caribbean brings out my peculiarly English paternalistic concern for their future as a cricketing nation. I'll only be happy when they're dicking us 5-zip again. :p

Pothas

BoyBrumby said:
The potential re-emergence of the Windies as a genuine world force is a huge plus for mine. Much as football needs Brazil & Rugby Union needs the All Blacks I think cricket needs the Windies. They play the sport in a different way.
It is really important they have a good World cup for the future of cricket in the carribean and the tournament. Would be great to see them win it and its not an impossibility.

magsi23

for me WI too, its good to see them doing well after very long time, I think last time they won CT was a fluke, its not gonna be this time if they do manage to win it

Xuhaib

BoyBrumby said:
I agree with what you say about the Windies not sympathising with our plight over the nigh-on three decades they consistently rolled us over but much as you despair of Nike's involvement with Brazil, all the reports of the influence of (shudder) American sports in the Caribbean brings out my peculiarly English paternalistic concern for their future as a cricketing nation. I'll only be happy when they're dicking us 5-zip again. :p

The impact of American sports is over exaggerated.

Fusion

Global Moderator
Xuhaib said:
The impact of American sports is over exaggerated.
How so? From what I've read and hear, the average kid in Windies today is far more enamored with Basketball than Cricket (with football outpacing both). You hear otherwise?

shortpitched713

Fusion said:
How so? From what I've read and hear, the average kid in Windies today is far more enamored with Basketball than Cricket (with football outpacing both). You hear otherwise?
Do you mean the American kind or the real kind?

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Another thing I loved the most in this tournament is the awesome state of Indian pace bowling with all the bright future stars shining through.

Tomm NCCC

silentstriker said:
The real kind, not that wimpy excuse of a 'sport' called soccer.
to be fair, both kinds are kind of dreary these days.

The best thing about this tournament for me was KP hitting 90 - still got it.

Scaly piscine

silentstriker said:
The real kind, not that wimpy excuse of a 'sport' called soccer.
Love the use of inverted quotes for football and not gridiron, which is just like some glorified round off the 90s TV show Gladiators.