• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The British Politics Thread

Spark

Global Moderator
Wait, the video said the British elites fabricated a conspiracy (not jews) to stop Corbyn by getting the jews on board on the anti-semitism allegations via the media.

Dunno how someone gets banned for the above.

(Dunno if there was more to the banning or not. If yes, apologies)
Ah yes the vague "elites" who fabricate the conspiracy. That definitely lets you off the hook from peddling an anti-Semitic conspiracy theory when you literally say 20 seconds later that Jews were at the forefront of it.

He wasn't actually banned for that post, but he would have been if he hadn't been already.

weldone

"What went wrong? Under siege from the beginning, a major strategic error seemed to govern the response of the Corbyn leadership and many of its outriders: foreign policy and issues relating to imperialism were, in effect, treated as inconvenient sources of controversy and (increasingly after the 2017 election) as distractions from Labour’s path to power. Such controversies were thought to detract from the elevation of domestic policy, which was conceived as a terrain on which consensus could be built. In some ways, this tendency dovetailed with the push toward abandoning the Brexit referendum result and supporting a “People’s Vote.” Thus could John McDonnell tell New Labour’s spin doctor Alastair Campbell in a cordial interview just before the 2019 election that he hoped Tony Blair would go down in history for the Good Friday Agreement rather than for the Iraq War.

Of course, many elements of Labour’s economic program were internationalist in orientation: take the commitment to a free transfer of green technologies to the Global South. But a fallacious distinction between domestic and foreign policy appeared to drive political strategy, often reactively. Nor can this disastrous category error be considered apart from the structural pressures of Labourism and the failure to cut through them by democratizing the party. Calls to quit NATO and scrap Trident were among the first of Corbyn’s long-standing commitments to be dropped, as part of a hopeless attempt to appease the hostile Parliamentary Labour Party.

By the time attacks on Palestine solidarity peaked in the summer of 2018, the leadership and parts of the movement were locked into a spiraling concessionary logic. The notion spread that the smear campaign against Corbyn — and the broader onslaught against anti-imperialist politics with which it was bound up — could be quelled through retreat and evasion. One consequence was that the nationalistic, racialized smears against Corbyn (charging him with being a “terrorist sympathizer,” a “traitor,” and so on) were never confronted head-on. They landed hard in December 2019, toxifying the leadership and contributing significantly to Labour’s defeat. His long record of solidarity with the Palestinian freedom struggle, for instance, should have been proudly defended and clearly explained. Instead, we got mumbling and obfuscation: as leader, Corbyn rarely spoke of the Palestinian people and their struggle, never mind firmly in their defense. This fudge was — as with the initial reliance on a hostile party bureaucracy to deal with antisemitism complaints — centrally a failure of politics."

-----------------------------------------------------------

"This invisibility of the Palestinian people was apparent when the party’s National Executive Committee’s (NEC) adopted the IHRA “working document,” which counts as an example of antisemitism “claiming that the existence of a State of Israel is a racist endeavour.” Subsequently, all candidates in the 2020 Labour leadership race unquestioningly agreed to the Board of Deputies’ demand to use this example as part of the basis of the party’s disciplinary procedure. Shamefully, this silencing and invisibility was worsened when prominent pro-Corbyn activists and commentators argued that the Left should not speak of Zionism — claiming that it is “too much of a catch all term” and risks “offence.”

In both cases, Palestinians were not only absent from the discussion, but the past and present of their dispossession was erased. This was enabled in part by the insistent treatment of Zionism and Israel as abstractions. Edward Said wrote of this phenomenon in 1978, observing that Zionism is often talked about in a register of “self-serving idealism,” as though it were an unchanging ideal rather than a settler-colonial project with a material history. Think of the IHRA clause: “a” state of Israel. It must be the task of the Left to negate this colonial erasure by unwaveringly foregrounding the Palestinian people’s struggle, while clearly portraying their lived reality and the facts of colonial history in the public realm."

----------------------------------------------

"So, shadow foreign secretary Lisa Nandy’s recent call for a ban on goods from illegal settlements, while welcome, highlights a disturbing inconsistency in Labour’s position. For in this framing, to challenge the post-1967 occupation and “policies” of the Netanyahu government constitutes “legitimate criticism,” but to even speak of the foundations of injustice — the structure of settler-colonialism and Israel’s constitutive racism — is anathema and itself racist."

Bravo Ed McNally!

Last edited:

Uppercut

Wait, the video said the British elites fabricated a conspiracy (not jews) to stop Corbyn by getting the jews on board on the anti-semitism allegations via the media.

Dunno how someone gets banned for the above.

(Dunno if there was more to the banning or not. If yes, apologies)
It’s a well-known dog whistle.

grecian

Lokk FS Welldone, I still voted Labour, but if roughly 84% of the Jewish populace thought that they couldn't vote Labour over this issue, then maybe some self-reflection was needed.

I kinda agree that there was a concentrated attack from some members of the Press to highlight the problems, that hasn't been done on other parties discrimatory views, but in the end Corbyn should have swiftly come down on Williamson and the like, he didn't, and he's going to be forever condemned for that, simple as. It was all too little too late

Depressingly so is the UK as we have a ****ing court jester as Prime minister.

Spark

Global Moderator
Lokk FS Welldone, I still voted Labour, but if roughly 84% of the Jewish populace thought that they couldn't vote Labour over this issue, then maybe some self-reflection was needed.

I kinda agree that there was a concentrated attack from some members of the Press to highlight the problems, that hasn't been done on other parties discrimatory views, but in the end Corbyn should have swiftly come down on Williamson and the like, he didn't, and he's going to be forever condemned for that, simple as. It was all too little too late

Just as bad was the way Momentum fell in hard behind Jackie Walker and tried to claim that nothing was wrong, nothing to see here after some balls-to-the-wall insane comments claiming (with 0 historical evidence) that Jews were behind the slave trade. Took three years for her to be expelled from the party.

grecian

Just as bad was the way Momentum fell in hard behind Jackie Walker and tried to claim that nothing was wrong, nothing to see here after some balls-to-the-wall insane comments claiming (with 0 historical evidence) that Jews were behind the slave trade. Took three years for her to be expelled from the party.
Everything about it was slow moving and awful, and yes people were right here that Starmer probably just stamping down on RLB was right, even if I had more sympathy for her then some.

Got to be no tolerance, and no it's not fair considering the opposite political party and what dozens of their member say, but hey lifes not fair, get over it.

weldone

Please don't ask such questions because you know I shall not be allowed to present my perspective here. Views of the other 16% of Jews must not be heard.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Isn't this rather the problem in here though, people want to fit people into easy groups of risibility, just for ease, whilst the new cabal or indeed umm coterie, just are themselves and excepted as such.

Maybe it would be an idea to stop doing this, like for instance saying all brexiteers are racist, which I am sure some people don't like as an argument, and just judge all views on merits, or in Welldone's case lack of. Then it stops people having an easy out.

Anywhhoo, Pubs open today, wouldn't catch me near one if you paid me, unfortunately some staff have no choice.
Yeah fair enough. My point there was only ever that I'm playing his views not the man but they don't need putting in a box for me to do that.

Anyway, no pub for me today but I've got a silly amount of beer and am going to a restaurant later, Happy days

Uppercut

I went to the pub, the football team started pre-season training and I met some of them afterwards. It was pretty quiet. Didn’t fit the ‘Super Saturday lager lout madness’ narrative at all. It was good to see people again, we had some beer and some food then went home.

Kinda ****ed up that this is something to post about in here but half my Twitter feed are calling me a murderer so.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
The curtain twitchers, sad that they can no longer clock how many walks you've been on with morning, have to get their thrills another way

grecian

I went to the pub, the football team started pre-season training and I met some of them afterwards. It was pretty quiet. Didn’t fit the ‘Super Saturday lager lout madness’ narrative at all. It was good to see people again, we had some beer and some food then went home.

Kinda ****ed up that this is something to post about in here but half my Twitter feed are calling me a murderer so.
Murderer.

Nah fair enough, I have been pushing for reopening for awhile, but wouldn't have chosen a Saturday to do it, there will be stupid scenes.

Burgey

How long from today before the UK’s rate of infection begins trending back up at the same rate as the Yanks’? I think three weeks - one for people to still be cautious. Then a fortnight of getting amongst it before you’re going backwards and end up locked down again. So, last week of July b un my reckoning.

Uppercut

Disagree, and I ****ing hate the element of the left that is only in favour of restorative justice when it’s for the in-group.