• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The Cloete question

Mr Mxyzptlk

With his sensational List-A form and an ODI average in excess of 40, do you think he should walk back into the successful CW XI ODI team?

And if so, does he warrant an opening spot at the expense of the prolific Markus-Camps combination?

Robertinho

He should definitely be put back in the team, but I think at #4. Markus & Camps - if it ain't broke, don't fix it. Tentatively, this would be my ODI lineup -

I Markus
LA Camps
BJ Goff (c)
AP Cloete
CR Butler
RJ Dauth/MW de Silva/DP Towns
A Crampton (wk)
TC Halsey
DJ Watt
KS Wright
NS Pickup

ash chaulk

agree with rob

i think there are alot of OD players who open in State comps but bat middle order in Internationals

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
I have to say I would be a little disappointed if anyone were to decide he'd like to play and immediately walk straight back into the side ahead of people who've always been available, but no doubt I'll be in the minority again in this regard.

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
marc71178 said:
I have to say I would be a little disappointed if anyone were to decide he'd like to play and immediately walk straight back into the side ahead of people who've always been available, but no doubt I'll be in the minority again in this regard.

No, I agree with you Marc. I certainly feel he should be in the ODI squad that goes, however. Play warm up matches, and all that.

Mr Mxyzptlk

IMO you pick your best players, and Cloete has been one of the best players in Development League cricket for years now. And he was our second best ODI batsman, after Goff, when he retired.

dontcloseyoureyes

BARNES OUT
He should probably have to prove his worth with either List-A runs for CW Black or runs in tour matches. The opening spot is really one of personal choice. I don't think Camps would suffer from dropping down to 4 if Cloete was to open, but if it all depends on Cloete's form IMO.

FaaipDeOiad

He's obviously a fine player and deserves consideration. I think he should be in the touring party without question, and if he's making runs in the warmups he should be picked. As has been said, you pick your best players, and Cloete is certainly one of the best.

Simon

WCC Staff
should be in the side without a doubt, we are only hurting ourselves if lesser players are chosen in front of him...

Cloete

Not really for me to answer, but if I were to be selected, I'd be happy to bat anywhere. I started off at 4 for the CWXI and also batted there alot for Blue and Green, but now I'm an opener so I'd prefer to do it. But I'd have no qualms with batting wherever, if I'm selected of course.

dontcloseyoureyes

BARNES OUT
It's going to be hard to pick openers when we've got 5 blokes who've made runs there in the past (at Black) so i can't imagine how hard it would be with so many quality run-scorers at the top of the order available.

chaminda_00

Andy would be one of the top batsmen in the country so i don't think there would be many question over whether he will make the sqaud. But a lot has changed since he retired and we probably have the strongest batting line up, we have ever had, so i doubt he will be a certainty for selection. But with a 7 match series, if one of the batsmen aren't performing at the standard required, there is probably a good chance he would get a run. Where he bats is most likely depend on whats best of the team.

age_master

I dont think he should walk back in, but if his form warrants it (which it does) he should be in the squad and play a few games, but i also think he should bat at 4, the openers and Goff are doing well where they are, Cloete would just add more strength below that.

roseboy64

Cricket Web Content Updater
age_master said:
I dont think he should walk back in, but if his form warrants it (which it does) he should be in the squad and play a few games, but i also think he should bat at 4, the openers and Goff are doing well where they are, Cloete would just add more strength below that.
Completely agreed there Garven.