• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The Golden Ball

Who would you vote for as best player?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

cricketboy29

FaaipDeOiad said:
Zidane was the correct choice, in my view. He was the best player, and without him it's exceedingly unlikely that France would have made the final.

Maybe it's a cultural thing related to Australian sport, but I don't see how you could possibly fail to give the "best player" award to someone just because they headbutted someone in the last 5 minutes of the tournament. Doesn't have any impact on how he played for the rest of the tournament at all.

Mind you, the award was given out at half time it seems, so the headbutt wouldn't even have happened yet.
I'm afraid I dont quite understand what your saying there, Fuller. Should he have got the award even after he headbutted or not?.

Goughy

FaaipDeOiad said:
Zidane was the correct choice, in my view. He was the best player, and without him it's exceedingly unlikely that France would have made the final.
If France would have won then I would have agreed but 2nd place is still only 2nd place and Zidanes actions could have been the difference between winning and losing the WC.

He lost his head and may have lost his team the game in the only match that really counts. His performance in the big important game meant there is no way he should have won it.

Maybe next time they will not give the trophy out at 1/2 time