• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The most depressed you've been after a sporting event

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
I mentioned three play off semi defeats above because I block out 2005 but I think the semi-final defeat on pens to Hartlepool may actually top the relegations.

I got arrested at half time in the first leg for giving the Vs to the home fans (retaliatory ffs) then my mate lost his car keys so we didn't get home until about 6am. Oh and we lost 2-0.

At this stage in my life I had hair down my back because I thought I was Axl Rose. I worked in a pub and after a few beers in March I'd staked my beloved locks on Tranmere getting promoted. On the Saturday (the game was Friday) the boss got on the mic in karaoke singing 'Martyn Corrin got arrested' and every third customer made a 'snip snip' gesture at me.

So the stage was set. But we were the stronger team, having finished 3rd, and PP would be rocking. And it was but the first half was a damp squib. But then the second. Boy did we come to life. Possibly the best 45 minute performance I'd seen from us since the Championship days. With maybe 20 mins to go Ryan Taylor plants a free kick in beautifully. Then David Beresford scores with ten minutes to go and there's only going to be one winner.

We nearly scored in extra time, but we didn't. And when it went to pens, I was only ever going to have my heart broken. Legit didn't smile for days.

I missed two league games all season, both for medical reasons. It was going to be our year. That we'd bottled automatic promotion was okay because we were going to get up the hard way. This wasn't in the plan.

And so I had to have my hair chopped off and Liverpool went and won the Champions League. Had a whole summer of listening to them sing about five times and meanwhile we signed Sam ****ing Aiston.

**** off

andruid

Luis Suarez's job on Ghana in the 2010 World Cup. One the biggest what if moments for African football.

grecian

Play-off losses are obviously disgusting, particularly with a 5 hour trip home (even on the train, which I have splurged for each time), to contemplate every moment it went wrong. 2007 should have been the worse, not getting out of the conference, but we won next year, so hard to think of it as badly as it was, it was very much the prologue.

Last Wembley was horrible though, second defeat in a row, we were awful, some bloke got glassed on the train, so we were delayed for at least an hour and had to run to get a connecting train, and change about 3 times. Utterly miserable experience, and have to say, so Blase about Wembley, 4 times in 12 years, it's not really that impressive a place. Would rather Play-offs be played at Emirates or Spurs or well anywhere really. So can't say I am desperately missing out on Monday. The second leg would have been fun though.

Our best ever season was 1989-90, we just had a perfect alchemy of youngsters and experienced players that were still dedicated. Played 32 home games, didn't lose one, only 4 draws. Yet but being a City supporter, we have to have some misery, and my two biggest memories of that glorious season, was playing Norwich in the 3rd Round on my birthday in front of the MOTD cameras, that was the Norwich side of beating Bayern Munich. Went 1-0 up, header right in front of me from Rowbotham 89th minute, whilst I was still going mental Robert Fleck equalised. also 2-0 up against Sunderland in the last 16 of the League Cup with 13 minutes to go, managed to draw 2-2. got crushed in both replays naturally. Roker Park was ****ing scary back then.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Play-off losses are obviously disgusting, particularly with a 5 hour trip home (even on the train, which I have splurged for each time), to contemplate every moment it went wrong. 2007 should have been the worse, not getting out of the conference, but we won next year, so hard to think of it as badly as it was, it was very much the prologue.

Last Wembley was horrible though, second defeat in a row, we were awful, some bloke got glassed on the train, so we were delayed for at least an hour and had to run to get a connecting train, and change about 3 times. Utterly miserable experience, and have to say, so Blase about Wembley, 4 times in 12 years, it's not really that impressive a place. Would rather Play-offs be played at Emirates or Spurs or well anywhere really. So can't say I am desperately missing out on Monday. The second leg would have been fun though.

Our best ever season was 1989-90, we just had a perfect alchemy of youngsters and experienced players that were still dedicated. Played 32 home games, didn't lose one, only 4 draws. Yet but being a City supporter, we have to have some misery, and my two biggest memories of that glorious season, was playing Norwich in the 3rd Round on my birthday in front of the MOTD cameras, that was the Norwich side of beating Bayern Munich. Went 1-0 up, header right in front of me from Rowbotham 89th minute, whilst I was still going mental Robert Fleck equalised. also 2-0 up against Sunderland in the last 16 of the League Cup with 13 minutes to go, managed to draw 2-2. got crushed in both replays naturally. Roker Park was ****ing scary back then.
Eh, losing at Wembley it's not that impressive, but when you won there weren't you glad it was Wembley? Going up at Wembley was amazing I thought. Losing there to Forest Green somewhat surreal mind

Pothas

Only got bad memories of Wembley and I don't think that is the only reason I don't like it as a stadium.

grecian

Eh, losing at Wembley it's not that impressive, but when you won there weren't you glad it was Wembley? Going up at Wembley was amazing I thought. Losing there to Forest Green somewhat surreal mind
It was great going up, but it was still somewhat novel. I honestly wasn't excited by it 4th time round, I mean going there, as I was certainly the first two, think it's one of the reasons I wasn't that stressed about the first loss despite damning us to another year in purgatory.

Honestly is it that brilliant? Kinda soullesly cavernous facilities shite catering, rubbish beer. Honestly have more atmos at a normal away match Somewhere like Elland Road better in my boring opinion. It isn't the place we won the World Cup in either, it's a modern facsilimie of it. Oh the bitterness of 3 out of 4 losses may be the entire thing, but there was no surge of excitement walking towards it last time, and not that much 3rd time. Wish we'd gone to Old Wembley, as terrible a ground it apparently was, I like old shite grounds in many ways. If not make it super snazzy. Not sure new Wembley is that in terms of facilities. It's nice to watch football in, which I suppose is the point, but again novelty factor kills most things.

grecian

Oh and England '90, totally worse than 96, I don't think I watched the pens and Waddle hitting the woodwork again untill about 10 years later. Just so Gutted, all the other gutting defeats have just been a shadow of that one, almost merge into one in a morass of predictable disappointment.

Uppercut

The Nani red card loss was one that hit me hard too for some reason. I remember being surprised that I could still get so upset about matches.

Games where Ireland missed out on qualifying for tournaments always hurt a lot too, with the France handball loss obviously the worst. They’re always in November, the grimmest of the months, when it would mean a lot to be able to look forward to a packed pub in June to see Ireland at the World Cup. Bit surprised not to see England’s 2008 Croatia debacle on anyone’s lists.

grecian

The Nani red card loss was one that hit me hard too for some reason. I remember being surprised that I could still get so upset about matches.

Games where Ireland missed out on qualifying for tournaments always hurt a lot too, with the France handball loss obviously the worst. They’re always in November, the grimmest of the months, when it would mean a lot to be able to look forward to a packed pub in June to see Ireland at the World Cup. Bit surprised not to see England’s 2008 Croatia debacle on anyone’s lists.
Do you mean 2018, tbh we weren't that good, and we'd have probably been beaten easily in the final, I think after Iceland we just wanted to have some young players to like and look forward to watch. I think we could have giving the Euros a run, about now, with Rashford and Kane fit, and hopefully all being well we can look forward to a bit of optimism for the next World Cup, nice we're getting some hot weather practice.

Oh and I am just thoroughly used to it by now, 24 years of hurt since the 30 years of hurt song debuting, and I think it's safe to say most of us have stopped dreaming.

Last edited:

wpdavid

Do you mean 2018, tbh we weren't that good, and we'd have probably been beaten easily in the final, I think after Iceland we just wanted to have some young players to like and look forward to watch. I think we could have giving the Euros a run, about now, with Rashford and Kane fit, and hopefully all being well we can look forward to a bit of optimism for the next World Cup, nice we're getting some hot weather practice.
I reckon Uppercut meant Croatia beating us in the qualifiers for the 2008 Euros.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Haha the 2008 Croatia debacle was great. Genuinely loved it.
Yeah, probably a necessary blood letting. Got rid of Dutch Schteve, so some good came from it.

Although Bilic was quite the front bottom in victory, which meant us smashing them over there in the WC qualifiers that followed (Feo's hat trick and all) was pretty sweet.

flibbertyjibber

Relegation to the conference, by a long stretch.
This comfortably. It is horrible. A few of us on here have been through it and it makes me laugh when a fan of a big club wails about losing a final or to a rival as they don't know real pain like that.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Yeah, probably a necessary blood letting. Got rid of Dutch Schteve, so some good came from it.

Although Bilic was quite the front bottom in victory, which meant us smashing them over there in the WC qualifiers that followed (Feo's hat trick and all) was pretty sweet.
It was just so great on the whole. England needing only to avoid defeat at home to fairly ordinary opposition to qualify, but still conspire to lose, due to some dreadful goalkeeping errors, and despite being dragged back into the game by substitute David Beckham (who McClaren had sacked as captain but was forced to re-select after a run of dire results). Wally with the brolly indeed.