• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The Official Food/Cooking/Eating thread

Adders

So I think it's time for this.

There are some awesome food related threads going atm and it's not my intention for this one detract from them. But they are are all very specific and I reckon we need a more general one, for eg the Shite cooking thread has been pretty much filled up with great cooking stories etc.

I'll kick this off with the hope that one of our Indian members can help me out. Some time ago....possibly 18 months or so, there was some talk in a thread about some lamb dish (whole leg, BBQ'd I think) that you were all raving about as the best thing ever. What was it?? And can anyone link me to a good recipe as I want to try it.

Also, despite all the bigging up of sub continental food at the expense of our delicious English cuisine recently, I must confess to absolutely loving Indian food. In the absence of any decent local restaurants I decided I'd better learn to cook the **** myself which I have done with varying degrees of success. I have even gone as far as making my own tandoori oven (courtesy of a Jamie Oliver idea)

IMG_20141019_143934_147.jpgIMG_20140608_161627_930.jpgIMG_20141019_143922_459.jpg

IMG_20140608_161157_685.jpg

Last edited:

zorax

likes this
10/10 for Adders. Moving on from that Potato and gravy nonsense to some real food.

I know the dish you are referring to but the name escapes me atm.

Athlai

Not Terrible
Good thread.

What fruit are people all about lately? Been going Granny Smith Apples for lunch for a while.

zorax

likes this
I would have posted one from an Indian site, but figured the BBC one was catered to your weak western genetics :ph34r:

Daemon

I've got a few questions:

1) What's the deal with HP Brown sauce? I saw it everywhere when I was in London and it sorta tastes like bbq sauce and just isn't that great imo.

2) This is for my Indian friends as well - why the **** have you guys not been introduced to Chilli sauce (sweet chilli, normal, garlic etc)? It will change your life and ensure you never dip anything in ketchup again.

3) What is 'gravy'? Is it the same gravy found on mashed potatoes?

zorax

likes this
2) This is for my Indian friends as well - why the **** have you guys not been introduced to Chilli sauce (sweet chilli, normal, garlic etc)? It will change your life and ensure you never dip anything in ketchup again.
Yeee. Agree with this.

My family makes our own chili sauce. Mix it with some soya sauce for dumplings and stuff; use it on it's own for indian snacks, maybe mixed with some ketchup for sweetness. It's great. My dad literally gave away the recipe to this one desi-chinese restaurant in Dubai once upon a time.

morgieb

I've got a few questions:

1) What's the deal with HP Brown sauce? I saw it everywhere when I was in London and it sorta tastes like bbq sauce and just isn't that great imo.

3) What is 'gravy'? Is it the same gravy found on mashed potatoes?
I only use HP sauce on steak if someone overcooked it. Dunno about England, though.

Daemon

Good thread.

What fruit are people all about lately? Been going Granny Smith Apples for lunch for a while.
There's a stall in the cafeteria that sells cut up fruit in a cup. Kiwi, Watermelon, Apple, Dragonfruit and Orange. I usually get one of those or a few slices of Guava post lunch. Can't really go wrong with fruit, they're pretty amazing. Well besides Durian anyways.

Adders

Boom; found it:
BBC Food - Recipes - Marinated roast leg of lamb (raan) served with seasoned yoghurt (tadka raita)

IDK how authentic the BBC recipe is, and I've never had the real thing, but I hear it's heavenly and I do intend on trying it someday
So I've had a bit of a google and found a few recipes that appear to be authentic, I'm surprised that they are all cooked in a conventional oven though?? It looks like a dish that would be much better cooked over some hot coals??

Can anyone confirm if lamb raan is generally BBQ'd or cooked in an oven?

Shri

So I've had a bit of a google and found a few recipes that appear to be authentic, I'm surprised that they are all cooked in a conventional oven though?? It looks like a dish that would be much better cooked over some hot coals??

Can anyone confirm if lamb raan is generally BBQ'd or cooked in an oven?
Look, man. Indian dishes are complicated to make. Thats why you will find that most people who live alone eat bread and ramen in the city and rarely choose to cook. The last time I got together for a weekend with my cousins, we tried to make it and followed this recipe:

How to make Shaan E Raan, recipe by MasterChef Sanjeev Kapoor

Takes forever.

zorax

likes this
Yea **** cooking proper, authentic Indian food. Ain't no body got the time for that.

Home-cooked food is usually a lot simpler. Oil, dry spices (stuff like pepper, basil, curry leaf, mustard seeds, cumin, etc), garlic, ginger, tomatoes and onions for your basic generic curry base, and then whatever veggie or meat is on hand. Powdered spices (chilli, tumeric, coriander, etc) after that, maybe yoghurt or cream, and you're done.

You can ofc marinate whatever you wanna cook first, and vary the combination of the spices for different flavors.

Adders

You blokes are amateurs.......and I'm betting neither of you are married huh??

This is how it works boy's.......I got all the time in the world for this ****. On a Sat or Sun morning I say to my missus "I'll cook tonight love, you look buggered leave it to me" I then go to the shops get my ingredients, go to the liqueur store and buy a box of beer. When I get home I go outside with beer and ingredients and **** about for the entire day getting pissed and cooking up a (sometimes) awesome dinner.

And at the end of it all my missus gives me a kiss and thanks me for all my effort today.

And that's how having a good time and Marriage is done.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Had some amazing crispy cauliflower yesterday. A bit of spices and salt with it. Was a great starter with the drinks.

zorax

likes this
You blokes are amateurs.......and I'm betting neither of you are married huh??

This is how it works boy's.......I got all the time in the world for this ****. On a Sat or Sun morning I say to my missus "I'll cook tonight love, you look buggered leave it to me" I then go to the shops get my ingredients, go to the liqueur store and buy a box of beer. When I get home I go outside with beer and ingredients and **** about for the entire day getting pissed and cooking up a (sometimes) awesome dinner.

And at the end of it all my missus gives me a kiss and thanks me for all my effort today.

And that's how having a good time and Marriage is done.
I mean, I could see myself doing that when I'm old and married and settled down. But I'm still young so why would I waste my Saturday nights cooking?

I could sit at home and record a podcast over skype with a guy I've never met instead.