• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The Official Indian Politics Thread

duffer

Can someone explain to me the joy our people seem to get seeing suspects who haven't been convicted getting 'encountered?'

Not specific to Vikas Dubey, but there seems to be one every few months here and people in general celebrate them.

honestbharani

You and I follow very different groups on Twitter and SM, duffer.. :laugh:

All I see is cries of controversy and cries of police tyranny.

duffer

I'm mainly talking about people I know offline tbh and they are shockingly enthusiastic about people being encountered.

honestbharani

I'm mainly talking about people I know offline tbh and they are shockingly enthusiastic about people being encountered.

I know for a fact that one of the most dubious gangsters in my area as a kid was hunted down through an encounter. Guy had killed dozens of policemen, usually helpless too. So I would always reckon to read these things on a case to case basis than form any broad summaries. I know how the police works in Chenna is not the way they work in Pondicherry, for instance, and we are just about 150 Kms apart.

OverratedSanity

Nah duffers got a point here. The general sentiment following any kind of encounter is one where the police involved are glorified by the public on social media. I find it pretty disturbing tbh.

duffer

Nah duffers got a point here. The general sentiment following any kind of encounter is one where the police involved are glorified by the public on social media. I find it pretty disturbing tbh.
Yeah, I mean, I wish people were more like the people in hb's circles but I overwhelmingly see the sentiment you describe here. Don't we have the death penalty here? Can't we convict them in a court before killing them?

vcs

In general yeah, but this particular fella seems to have been a murderer, a gangster and an all-round prick (based on an article I read five minutes ago) so it's hard to feel much sympathy TBH

That said, it's UP, so all politicians and cops are also gangsters by default I guess

honestbharani

And yeah, it is not disturbing that someone tries to kill the cop and the cop shoots him instead. Especially someone who is trying to get away. The problem I have with is the assumption either way. Either the police can't do no wrong and are heroes, or the police are always tyrannical and the villains. Its like you can't ever talk about things on a case to case basis.