• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The Official Movie Discussion Thread

Niall

Watched A Hidden Life

Not sure of my rating,,possibly 3/5

His work since A tree Of Life have been nothing more than glorified perfume advertisements where Privileged bores mumble about how misunderstood they are and who who can't be fulfilled emotionally by beautiful women throwing themselves at them, the struggle is real. (Knights Of Cup is absolutely awful especially).

However this film has much more of a soul. I still watch it though thinking Mallick may have peaked with Tree Of Life which is arguably his best work and when you consider how flawless Badlands is well its high praise.

Last edited:

Red_Ink_Squid

I hadn't seen any Mallick film until recently, when I saw Tree of Life. And it blew me away, absolutely loved it. (At least after the extended universe origins montage near the start which lost me a bit. Glad I kept watching.)

I've since picked up Thin Red Line and looking forward to getting to that.

Niall

Thin Red Line is gorgeous, that Badlands and Tree Of Life his three best films and all absolute classics.

The New World and Days Of Heaven are also pretty good.

Its a heck of a run he had until his last 3 films (Knights of Cup, To The Wonder and Song To Song ) which are just self indulgent messes.

Grasshopper

The Invisible Man is by far the biggest disappointment of 2020 for mine. Can't imagine they stretched the CGI budget much, and the script is lazy and cliched with so many plot holes it's hard to keep count. Elizabeth Moss is dependable as always, otherwise it's a mess.

Last edited:

Kirkut

Was thinking about A Clockwork Orange movie. Did Alex's violent tendencies stem from the artificial way the society functioned? As in if you force something organic (an orange) to function in an unnatural society (a clockwork).

Flem274*

123/5
watched the sequel to 300 for some cheesy fun and it was except for artemisia whose story was...problematic. (spoilers coming).

greek girl whose family gets raped and murdered by greeks, then she gets raped on a greek boat for years, goes to persia to become a goth girl traitor to greece, all the political intrigue in persia is her fault, whines a lot that her generals suck, tries to bang themistocles into joining her but he is such a manly man he both shags and resists her, she is lured into the trap at salamis despite the common sense man warning her of a trap and slapping her around, then she dies to themistocles.

i know the movie dgaf about history but artemisia was a real hperson who was extremely competent, had her family and herself very intact, quite happy to serve persia and command the navy, was the only commander to advise xerxes against fighting at salamis, survived salamis when the big man went there anyway and the athenians absolutely hated her because she was a girl who could beat them.

but no she was reduced to the raped and idiotic goth thot girl. tbh i was cheering for her to win because the writers wrote her so terribly and eva green's performance was superb.

Last edited:

Burner

It has cool visuals but far too many things annoyed me to really enjoy it. I mean at one point there were people running through the streets with their VR headsets on. I mean come on wtf

Gnske

It has cool visuals but far too many things annoyed me to really enjoy it. I mean at one point there were people running through the streets with their VR headsets on. I mean come on wtf
It's hard to hate it, and the things that are iffy have been done far worse in big movies in the last decade. Like that last battle sequence was an eyesore, but after Man of Steel and slew of DC movies afterwards I'm just jaded to it.

I appreciate that the general feel of it is something that would have been released 15 - 25 years ago.

Gnske

I get the feeling the Last Jedi is going to be the contrarian and ironic favourite of the sequel trilogy in 10 years time if it hasn't already begun to take place.

Rian Johnson is a genius and the suits ruined his vision, etc. etc. I'll be happy to board that ride.

Athlai

Not Terrible
I get the feeling the Last Jedi is going to be the contrarian and ironic favourite of the sequel trilogy in 10 years time if it hasn't already begun to take place.

Rian Johnson is a genius and the suits ruined his vision, etc. etc. I'll be happy to board that ride.
Agree with the first part. The younger generation will end up glorifying it like they have with the prequel trilogy.

TheJediBrah

For me it will always come back to the material not suiting him. He seems to be an excellent film maker but portraying Luke Skywalker (legacy character that everyone was in love with and had waited 40 years to see on screen again etc.) they way he did and a few stupid things like the hyperspace ramming making no sense made it very unpopular.