• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The Official Movie Discussion Thread

Gnske

It's very very interesting. The complete juxtaposition of one guy being in charge of a movie vs the movies either side being headed by suits.

I almost wish he had been given the entire trilogy just to witness how munted it could have been, the full service.

The whole trilogy is basically one of the biggest miscalculations in fan service ever witnessed.

TheJediBrah

yeah I genuinely laughed my way through the last one with how much they tried to pretend The Last Jedi never happened

They've proven to be an incredibly reactive studio.

Flem274*

123/5
i respect the last jedi tbh and it's easily the best of the sequels.

the force awakens lacked courage, it was basically disney trying to assure the well balanced fanbase the movies were in safe hands by retreading a new hope while still managing to be woke because they have a sassy female lead who magically knows how to do everything, a black dude who exists to fawn over the sassy white girl and a bunch of original trilogy clone characters mixed in with the solo family.

rian johnson had some balls. a star wars film actually enforcing chain of command to show the flaws in the han solo clone? the evil overlord pushing his heir too far and getting the obvious comeuppance to it? a sassy white female lead not cruising through the movie winning instantly? an old man who saw everything he worked for fall apart being a miserable old bastard with no hope hiding in the middle of nowhere? the black guy getting his own story arc? give me more of this, and never put me through resurrections of palpatine for desperate fan fellatio ever again.

all the last jedi needed was rey teaming up with kylo at the end and boom we're in. that and rogue one are the only good new star wars films (haven't seen the solo one).

stephen

I haven't yet seen the final film but having recently rewatched TFA and TLJ, I have to say that Finn was the most interesting character and had a great character arc in TFA but was treated woefully in TLJ. His story came across quite naturally in TFA and was one of the most original parts of the otherwise derivative movie. In TLJ everything about his story felt forced (Poe's as well for that matter).

I mean TLJ had many, many crimes - the constant misguided humour, the characters who acted stupidly, the butchering of Luke Skywalker and the disappointing treatment of every interesting thread from TFA. But the main problem with the movie was that it had a script designed by an accountant rather than a writer. "We must get from A to B with all of our characters ferrying precisely 15 minutes of screen time. We must subvert everything, even when it doesn't make sense. We must insert a joke every 87 seconds to destroy any tension at all.

I'll watch the final film when it hits Disney+ but I'm in no way excited for it.

luckyjack

Rise of Skywalker - 9/10

I liked the saga, some films were just disappointing but I enjoyed the universe it creates. This film was predictable, plot holes but I loved it. Fun throughout and lots of throwbacks. Looking forward to watching it again

Teja.

Global Moderator
Uncut Gems is the movie that really captures the current age imo. I can't pinpoint exactly why it's so good but it just is. Highly recommend.

Niall

Clint is 90 today.

I haven't truly enjoyed any of his work since Gran Torino and their is some duds especially in the 80's but for the most part its a pretty remarkable CV.

Fav film for me and I assume many others is Unforgiven narrowly beating Dirty Harry and Mystic River.

Fav Clint film guys?

Red_Ink_Squid

I loved Gran Torino.

I'm not a big westerns guy and most of the acclaimed ones leave me cold, but The Good The Bad and The Ugly is probably my favourite.

Including films where he stays behind the camera I thought Letters From Iwo Jima was excellent.

Athlai

Not Terrible
Mystic River to Gran Torino was a hell of a run for a director. Unforgiven is my favourite though.

As an actor I like The Good the Bad and the Ugly the best. It's near the top of my favourites list. Top 10 for sure.

luckyjack

Watched Knives Out last night and quite enjoyed it!
If you get past Daniel Craig's accent early-doors it turns into an enjoyable, if not entirely original, whodunnit!

7/10

Niall

I watched 8½ for the first time ever earlier, genuinely had a wtf Tucker Carlson look on my face most of it, but was insanely entertaining, highly recommended.

Fascinated to see what La Dolce Vita is like in comparision.

Uppercut

Finally got round to watching some of last year's biggest movies. Parasite was decent, Knives Out was great.

honestbharani

I wanna watch Knives Out. Wife is totally smitten with Chris Evans but I was hoping movie was good too. Have to plan it for either this or the next weekend.

Malcolm

Watched searching yesterday. A good thriller captured in a very different manner. The story unfolds through Laptop, facetime, texts, CCTV footages etc which makes the movie fascinating.