• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The refs are terrible etc.

Uppercut

Sort of. You can hardly say it's affected the overall quality of the football. But Holland today had an obvious strategy of CBs fouling Sanchez high up the pitch to avoid being caught out of position, and the ref did nothing about it.

The leniency is the sort of thing that might work well for a one-off tournament, but if it becomes the norm guys like Mourinho will make sure their teams abuse it and ruin games.

FaaipDeOiad

I feel like there's been a really dramatic change in the style of officiating since the first day or two of the tournament. Letting the play run in 50/50 situations where a foul could be called, lots of decent penalty shouts being turned down and so on. Has felt at times like a response to the ****ups in the first two games with the Fred penalty and the two Dos Santos goals that were wrongly called offside. Still varies a bit from game to game but it's felt like a real trend.

Uppercut

But Holland today had an obvious strategy of CBs fouling Sanchez high up the pitch to avoid being caught out of position, and the ref did nothing about it.
Just read he was fouled 9 times, more than anyone in a WC match since 1998. It's probably more of a competence issue than a leniency one. Anyone who knew what they were doing would surely have spotted what was going on.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
How the **** Fernandinho avoided a red card last night is beyond me. Two challenges on James Rodriguez where he made absolutely **** all effort to win the ball.

I hate this whole "ooooh it spoils the game" nonsense. Not half as much as hatchet men being given license to assault ball players.

FaaipDeOiad

Brazil vs Colombia apparently broke the record for the most fouls ever in a World Cup game, and Brazil committed 80% of them. No yellows at all in the first half IIRC.

Uppercut

Yeah that match was refereed spectacularly badly. In general they're giving far too few yellows this tournament. Teams have cottoned on and are systematically fouling constantly. Especially Brazil, who I now really, really want to lose.

Speaking of dire refereeing, the failure to send off Diaz tonight for the most blatant second yellow card offence ever was pure chokery.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
How the **** Fernandinho avoided a red card last night is beyond me. Two challenges on James Rodriguez where he made absolutely **** all effort to win the ball.
Is the rule generally based upon this - ie. if someone is legitimately trying to win the ball then it's not a foul?

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Not quite

A lot of the time they'll be trying to get the ball but just time it so badly that it's still a foul.

If there's no attempt to play the ball it's definitely a foul and should be at least a booking. If they are going for the ball it can still be a foul though.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Is the rule generally based upon this - ie. if someone is legitimately trying to win the ball then it's not a foul?
No.

IMO it should be an automatic booking, and even a red depending on cynicism, if a player is blatantly not trying to win the ball.

Tangles

The 2 times James was taken out while both feet were off the ground stood out to me as particularly dangerous. ESPN reported James being fouled 6 times by 6 different brazilians. That doesn't just randomly happen. That's a plan.

Tangles

Also saw the foul count was at 60 during the 2nd half. 36 by Brazil and 24 by Columbia at the time.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Nah, the Uruguay player who got away with a second yellow against England was definitely worse

(Not seen last night's match ftr)

Uppercut

David Luiz not walking for properly booting Thomas Muller was a disgrace too. Didn't even get a yellow. David Beckham will be spinning in his Armani suit.