• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The TV show thread (many spoilers)

Niall

Just finished 3rd and last season of Dark on Netflix. My brain exploded. Superb superb show.

Check episode ratings of final season on IMDb: https://m.imdb.com/title/tt5753856/episodes/?season=3
Did you do a rewatch just before season 3? I watched them pretty quickly after netflix released them do debating whether to do that.

You should watch Babylon Berlin next.:ph34r:

I finished my rewatch of Breaking Bad, its obviously a masterpiece, but its just not on the same level as The Sopranos or Deadwood.

Walter is much more unlikable then I remember while yet again no clue why people disliked Skyler.

ankitj

I re watched first 2 seasons of Dark, yes. Glad I did. There were so many callbacks and plot in general so intricate and complex that I wouldn't have followed and enjoyed season 3 without a re-watch.

Breaking bad is good but I don't see why it's regarded best drama show ever. Bit slow and doesn't leave you something to think about over and over. But it's all subjective.

Shri

Watched dark when high on weed. Didn't get it.

Watched it sober. Didn't get it.

But I like it. Maybe I'll give it another shot in 5 years.

Uppercut

Breaking bad is good but I don't see why it's regarded best drama show ever. Bit slow and doesn't leave you something to think about over and over. But it's all subjective.
I thought it was usually too intense to enjoy while watching it, but it leaves you a lot to think about.

I don't think it really is regarded as the best drama show ever. It got a lot of deserved hype for being one of the best shows around at the time but I've not seen anyone put it in the absolute top tier of all time.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Yeah, was thinking about this the other day. Still comfortably below what I generally think of as "The Sopranos tier" in my mind.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Do love shows with slow-pacing though. Not so slow it crawls of course, but slow enough to actually pick up on character nuances etc. Makes it so much easier for shows to earn their "big moments" later on. This is something early Game of Thrones did so well, and why the latter seasons are comparably underwhelming. It simply didn't earn the emotional impact it so obviously desperately wanted to have on the viewer.

Teja.

Global Moderator
Breaking Bad is an excellent show but one thing which holds it back for me is that when the show wasn’t being incredibly tense and fast-paced, it’s universe wasn’t interesting and lived in enough to make the slowburn, non (major) plot advancing episodes very interesting as opposed to shows like the Sopranos/the Wire where the universe in itself was an incredibly fascinating place you always desperately wanted to know more about.

Breaking Bad was at its best on 6th gear and that gets tiring after a while.

Uppercut

Do love shows with slow-pacing though. Not so slow it crawls of course, but slow enough to actually pick up on character nuances etc. Makes it so much easier for shows to earn their "big moments" later on. This is something early Game of Thrones did so well, and why the latter seasons are comparably underwhelming. It simply didn't earn the emotional impact it so obviously desperately wanted to have on the viewer.
Don't fully agree tbh. Gomorrah proves it's possible to have a consistently tense and exciting show that earns its big moments. Other shows use intrigue, comedy, or entertaining dialogue well enough that they never feel slow.

There are great shows that have slow parts for sure, but I wouldn't call that slowness a strength. The Wire is the best drama I've ever seen by miles, but I'm not someone who tries to crack that the inaccessibility of the first few episodes is actually a good thing.

Which reminds me, I completely forgot to put Gomorrah in my list for Shady Slim, I'm a ****ing disgrace.

Teja.

Global Moderator
I think the particular type of intensity of Breaking Bad is different from the type of fast-paced action say in the second half of season 6 of The Sopranos.

In the latter, life largely goes on amidst the deaths and the suspense. There's a little humour, a little joy, some love to be found often in the wreckage.

In breaking bad it often feels like WILL HE BE CAUGHT BWILL HE BE CAUGHT WILL HE DIE WILL HE BE CAUGHT WILL HE DIE. I don't mean to sound too critical of the show because this atmosphere makes the show but it's enough to drive you crazy sometimes.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Don't fully agree tbh. Gomorrah proves it's possible to have a consistently tense and exciting show that earns its big moments. Other shows use intrigue, comedy, or entertaining dialogue well enough that they never feel slow.

There are great shows that have slow parts for sure, but I wouldn't call that slowness a strength. The Wire is the best drama I've ever seen by miles, but I'm not someone who tries to crack that the inaccessibility of the first few episodes is actually a good thing.

Which reminds me, I completely forgot to put Gomorrah in my list for Shady Slim, I'm a ****ing disgrace.
Yeah, didn't mean to imply faster shows couldn't justify these sorts of moments tbf. I think it's just a personal preference of mine.

Last edited:

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Personally do put Breaking Bad in the top tier. Probably at the very top for me. Have watched through about four times and it gets better with each viewing for me.

Niall

You watched Romanzo Criminale yet?

Think with Gomorrah somewhat declining in quality , when its all said and done Romanzo might go down as the better of the two although obviously depends on how they wrap up Gomorrah.

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
Personally do put Breaking Bad in the top tier. Probably at the very top for me. Have watched through about four times and it gets better with each viewing for me.
Yeah same. Very few things to fault. Top tier for me is Breaking Bad, Better Call Saul, Chernobyl, Deadwood and The Wire. I am still yet to commit to watching the Sopranos :ph34r: I want to put Fargo in there as well but there's something I can't put my finger on that prevents me. If the top tier was 1, Fargo would be on tier 1.5.

morgieb

I'd probably have BB as #1 drama of all-time, though I freely admit I haven't seen The Sopranos, The Wire, Mad Men etc yet because I'm idiotic and lazy.

Uppercut

You watched Romanzo Criminale yet?

Think with Gomorrah somewhat declining in quality , when its all said and done Romanzo might go down as the better of the two although obviously depends on how they wrap up Gomorrah.
Nope not yet, but I might give it a go soon.

I didn’t think it declined in quality that much personally. S4 was as good as S3. Neither quite as good as S1-2 but that’s a very high bar.

stephen

Mad Men was a decent show but it wasn't really binge-worthy. I find it a bit slow going and it didn't help that Don Draper wasn't really a guy I liked much (He reminds me of someone I know actually and makes my eyes roll).