• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The UK Thread

_Ed_

How did Tweddle only get 4th? I don't know a thing about Gymnastics, but her routine was more visually impressive than all the others by far. The others all did pretty much the same thing but she did all sorts of crazy ****.

Johnners

Most likely to do with how she screwed up her dismount. Would assume that she probs wasn't as technically correct either. That and I think the fact that she rushed through it a lot quicker than the other could give the impression it was a better routine?

Last edited:

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Bloody hell then, even knighthoods won't suffice for this lot. What can we give them all? :ph34r:

steds

More to come, too. Shanaze Read in the BMX, Hoy and Pendleton in the sprints, in the sailing Percy and Simpson in the Star Class and Dempsey in the windsurfing are in medals positions, Idowu and that drugs girl with the unpronouncable name. All have chances.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Hmm, can't find anything backing this up - we competed as Great Britain as far as I can find but I'd imagine you are right in as much as athletes from colonies will have represented us

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
Hmm, can't find anything backing this up - we competed as Great Britain as far as I can find but I'd imagine you are right in as much as athletes from colonies will have represented us
Australasia (Oz + NZ), Canada and South Africa all competed separately. India and West Indies were presumably of the wrong race or the wrong economic status. Ireland were part of GB (but some Irishmen boycotted).

superkingdave

Most of the competitors were British though, eg in the boxing 32 out of 42 were british, Archery 41/57, Sailing 40/64, most of the British medals were won in these events, but there were also some where only British teams competed! In the events with a better spread of competitors, eg Athletics, we won a lot less medals.

So I'd say this is shaping up to be our best 'proper' olympics

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Australasia (Oz + NZ), Canada and South Africa all competed separately. India and West Indies were presumably of the wrong race or the wrong economic status. Ireland were part of GB (but some Irishmen boycotted).
Yeah, read up on it last night, some Irish competed for Ireland it would seem

superkingdave

haha, the women's discus champion has british citizenship, should be competing for us! and the woman who won the Laser was born in Doncaster and lived their till she was 12...suppose its only right given the number we thieve off everyone else

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
I think we should add them to our medal tally personally

To go with the thirteen we now have already. Another sailing gold this morning. Awesome.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Two more Golds in Cycling, which long time CW readers will know has always been my favourite sport, well done Team GB! :D

James

Cricket Web Owner
Couldn't help but laugh at reading this on the BBC website today:

Arsene Wenger says he is surprised by Great Britain's gold rush at the Olympic Games. "I didn't know the English were good at swimming," said the Arsenal manager. "I have been in this country for 12 years and I haven't seen a swimming pool." (The Times)

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
^:laugh:

BBC said:
Another amazing day for Great Britain in the velodrome. Does anyone else think that our ridiculously high fuel prices have anything to do with why we're now so brilliant on a bike?"
James via text on 81111
:laugh:

Johnners

Two more Golds in Cycling, which long time CW readers will know has always been my favourite sport, well done Team GB! :D
Pendleton is really a man imo :p Reckon her legs, along with Hoys are actually gum trees in disguise.

Nah was too good for Meares. That said, Meares' story is one of the inspiring ones of the games imo, given that only 7/8 months ago she broke her neck.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Medal table makes nice reading. How many more golds can the Aussies expect, thinking we might actually stay ahead of them.

Olympic medal table should decide the Ashes instead of Cricket, IMO