• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Tom Cooper called up for Holland.

brockley

Must increase their chances,at least qualifying.
I think he replaced Tim Gruijters.

Last edited:

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I had no idea he wasn't in the squad to begin with. Must've held back in case he had to play the Shield final for South Australia.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
It definitely sucks that he's the one who's had to miss out just because he has a long-standing back injury. I'm sure if they were able to pick the squad from scratch he would've been in it; they just knew his back injury would show up on the scan.

I think you'd cop it a lot better as a withdrawing player if you were told you wouldn't make the squad on merit.

HeathDavisSpeed

I think you'd cop it a lot better as a withdrawing player if you were told you wouldn't make the squad on merit.
But the Dutch hierarchy couldn't do that, I presume, as it was past the date for the squad announcement - injury withdrawal notwithstanding. Which is why this Tim Gruijters is speaking out.

It pretty poor in general as Tom Cooper was more interested in the Big Bash than helping the Dutch qualify for the proper World Cup, that now it is convenient for the erstwhile Mr. Cooper, he sticks his hand up.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
But the Dutch hierarchy couldn't do that, I presume, as it was past the date for the squad announcement - injury withdrawal notwithstanding. Which is why this Tim Gruijters is speaking out.
Oh yeah indeed, I can see why it's happened like this. Personally I think the Netherlands should've just named Cooper in their squad in the first place, just in case he became available. If he didn't become available - no biggy, 15 man squads are pretty big anyway, especially since you can replace injured players. South Australia missing out on the final wasn't that unlikely a situation when they named the squad. They've just completely cocked all this up.

theegyptian

Stokes had the right idea breaking his own wrist. True grit sacrificing himself for the good of the team.

Still you'd imagine the ICC will have at least have to be seen to be doing something here. Whatever the merits of naming a 15 man squad and not allowing changes except in the case of injuries- those are the rules. Netherlands have definitely skirted close to the boundaries and Gruijters coming out publically as he has means imo it should at least be addressed. It's all fairly pointless but it's their rules.

Julian87

It pretty poor in general as Tom Cooper was more interested in the Big Bash than helping the Dutch qualify for the proper World Cup, that now it is convenient for the erstwhile Mr. Cooper, he sticks his hand up.
Can't agree with this at all. Cooper is making a career from cricket and what he's doing in Australia is going to take him a lot further than what he could do for Holland against the likes of UAE and PNG. Netherlands should just be thankful he plays for them at all because if an Australian call up happens he'd be gone for good.

HeathDavisSpeed

Can't agree with this at all. Cooper is making a career from cricket and what he's doing in Australia is going to take him a lot further than what he could do for Holland against the likes of UAE and PNG. Netherlands should just be thankful he plays for them at all because if an Australian call up happens he'd be gone for good.
They shouldn't pick him at all then. If he thought a few hit and giggle matches more important than his chances of playing in the World Cup, why on Earth should he get a free ride into the T20 World Cup team at the expense of one of the Netherlands' true local players. Guys like Cooper aren't the future for the Dutch. If they keep doing this, they have no future.

Riggins

Yeah he should stop making a living from cricket and go and play for the Netherlands full time and work in a bar.

HeathDavisSpeed

Yeah he should stop making a living from cricket and go and play for the Netherlands full time and work in a bar.
Way to completely overstate my point to make it look ridiculous. If you can't get up to potentially qualify for the World Cup, then don't waste your time pretending to be Dutch.

Riggins

I'm pretty sure even if he wanted to his SACA contract prevents him from playing when it clashes. So it actually is one or the other.

Spikey

Netherlands cleared over claim they 'bullied' Gruijters out of World T20 | Sport | The Guardian

The Netherlands have been cleared of wrongdoing by the International Cricket Council over accusations from their young all-rounder Tim Gruijters that he was "forced and bullied" out of their World Twenty20 squad to make way for Tom Cooper, an Australian all-rounder.

Cooper, 27, was born in Wollongong and has played for both Australia Under-19s and Australia A, but has been a regular for the Netherlands in one-day and T20 cricket since 2010, following a similar path to the veteran seamer Dirk Nannes.

G.I.Joe

"There is a procedure in place for teams to replace injured players with substitutes who are eligible and available."The KNCB followed that procedure by obtaining independent medical advice confirming an injury to Tim Gruitjers before requesting a replacement player. We are satisfied that the KNCB acted within the ICC's tournament rules during this process."

IIRC, the rules on injury replacements do not allow for replacing players for injuries known prior to their selection in the squad. The proper methodology for the investigation should have been to take a look at (a) the medical clearance given to Gruijters when he was selected initially (whether or not it makes mention of the chronic condition and it's severity), and (b) the second medical assessment that led to the application for his replacement (whether or not it suggests a fresh injury or significant deterioration of the previously documented chronic injury).

It's the comparison of the two medical reports that illuminates, not the mere mention of an injury in the second assessment. From their statement in the news article, it seems possible that the ICC might have drawn a meaningless conclusion based on just the second report.