• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Un-Australian

Craig

World Traveller
I have lived in Australia for the best part of 12 and a half years, and yet to this day I have NFI what the term "Un-Australian" is supposed to mean? Any clues?

Mr Casson

Being Australian, or un-Australian for that matter, is whatever the hell we want it to be.

Ftr:
Australian = Good
un-Australian = Bad

Cop that.

Son Of Coco

It's usually what you call a bloke just before you glass him for looking foreign/not kissing the flag/not kissing the Southern Cross tattoo on your arse.

dirtyboots

i take the insult 'unaustralian' as a compliment. it indicates that you haven't devolved into a mindless stereotype based around myth and conjecture.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
At the risk of being serious for a brief moment I find it curious that Un-Australian & Un-American are in common parlance, despite somewhat nebulous definitions, but we never accuse one another of being Un-English.

We do say tho something "isn't very British", which seems pretty much synonymous with something that "isn't cricket".

Uppercut

Doesn't really have the same negative connotations though, just suggests something that British people might not normally do. Like admit to being good at something, or confront someone for jumping a queue. I'm not sure there is an equivalent term here.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Doesn't really have the same negative connotations though, just suggests something that British people might not normally do. Like admit to being good at something, or confront someone for jumping a queue. I'm not sure there is an equivalent term here.
That's what I was saying, tbf. Saying something "isn't very British" doesn't suggest the speaker is displaying national chauvanism in the same way as those who bandy accusations of being Un-Australian seem to do.

Langeveldt

Soutie
I felt hugely un-English when meeting a few of my friends from school for the first time in years the other day.. That strange mix of orderly queueing, decent driving, asking about the weather, and it being fine to say c*** every few words has confused me ever since I left the country

Burgey

We do say tho something "isn't very British", which seems pretty much synonymous with something that "isn't cricket".
Like Murray Mints, sub fielders when not injured and bowlers hopping off the field after a spell to get some coaching and some freshening up before returning to the field?

Btw, agree with the sentiments of dirtyboots tbh.

Last edited:

Pothas

Not met one myself it must be said but I am reliably informed they have existed.

Australia on the other hand......seems a fairly ridiculous concept which only exists in silly Baz Luhrmann films

Burgey

Not met one myself it must be said but I am reliably informed they have existed.

Australia on the other hand......seems a fairly ridiculous concept which only exists in silly Baz Luhrmann films
Agreed. Australians should leave toss pot period dramas to the Poms. They do them best.