• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Underwhelming

Scaly piscine

Most of the lack of quality is down to the pitches. Slow rubbish does not make for good quality cricket between bat and ball as I've said all along. In comparison there has been plenty of good fielding in the World Cup, except for on the sandpit patches of the outfield which are an absolute joke.

These pitches are making Styris into a highly effective bowler - I think that says it all.

The_Bunny

Most of the lack of quality is down to the pitches. Slow rubbish does not make for good quality cricket between bat and ball as I've said all along. In comparison there has been plenty of good fielding in the World Cup, except for on the sandpit patches of the outfield which are an absolute joke.

These pitches are making Styris into a highly effective bowler - I think that says it all.
8-) Not all of it is "slow rubbish" 8-)

LA ICE-E

isn't 47 days and 51 matches? 32 days and 40 matches seems fair, it's like trying to put it down saying its too long even being 32 days...

howardj

For mine, given the time difference, it's been very difficult to "get into" this World Cup. As for the structure, I actually think it's a magnificent structure - with the minnow teams present and the initial group stage not containing too many matches. Then the Super Eight stage where it's hard to think how it could be more fair when all of the top sides play each other once, before the Semi Finals.

Perhaps the tournament's been a little protracted, but if you want all of the top teams play each other once before the Semi Finals (which I think is only fair) and if you want rest days, reserve days and travel days, it's hard to think how they could have made the tournament too much shorter - other than schedule some matches for the same day.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Have to face it now, it hasn't been great. Seems insane to criticise the only truly great side there, but Oz have been awful for the World Cup. Made it into an overlong procession to their ball-crushingly inevitable victory.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Have to face it now, it hasn't been great. Seems insane to criticise the only truly great side there, but Oz have been awful for the World Cup. Made it into an overlong procession to their ball-crushingly inevitable victory.
Doesn't seem insane at all, TBH. Great spectacles and great sport-playing have not always gone hand-in-hand.

Swervy

yeah, the tournament really did lose momentum, but I think most people could see that a 7 week tourny was always going to be way way too long.

I think the aim should be to get the next one down to no-more than 5 weeks, and preferably less.

The World Cup should have a carnival feel to it (and this didnt), but to use a dodgy analogy, even the most rampant drag queen would struggle to keep partying and 'frollicking' for a Mardi Gras carnival that lasted 2 months.

howardj

From today's Guardian.

Suffice to say he wasn't impressed.
It's about time that a journalist hit the nail on the head. It was the quality of cricket that stunk at this World Cup. That, I'm afraid, falls back to the players - not the officials or the governing body. Drums, small crowds and a few overs in the dark were trivial matters when put alongside the fare we had to put up with on the field

Last edited:

Matt79

Global Moderator
Just posting here to get rid of the "gilchrist a cheater" link on the front page - annoys me every time I see it.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Hahahahaha, I was thinking that we must ensure this thread is the last-posted-on thread when the forum's closed - sums-up the thing better than any archived forum since Rugby WC 2003.