• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

USA Cricket team...

MoxPearl

ok so they been.. and gone....

To me the whole team was just a "West Indies B" team....

What were the stats.. only 2 of the team were actually born in the USA ??

Is *real* usa cricket REALLY that weak ?

Arjun

The US team consists of old, failed cricketers from other countries, which is not good for the game there. They need young players from the US and not elsewhere.

cbuts

no but hopefully they got in newspapers or on the news etc. remeber the australian rugby union used the world game to attract league players to rugby. perhaps some kids may start to want to play cricket so that they can take on the world

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Arjun said:
The US team consists of old, failed cricketers from other countries, which is not good for the game there. They need young players from the US and not elsewhere.
Well I wouldn't call Clayton Lambert a total failure. Not Test-class, no, but not a failed cricketer.

Legglancer

Richard said:
Well I wouldn't call Clayton Lambert a total failure. Not Test-class, no, but not a failed cricketer.
Thank you Sir ..... My thoughts exactly ......

BTW did you watch his test century against England in 1998 ????

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Legglancer said:
Thank you Sir ..... My thoughts exactly ......

BTW did you watch his test century against England in 1998 ????
I did - much of it was down to a totally inept bowling performance, but the wicket was described by reports at the time as 'tricky'.

I thought he had a future.

maxpower

the game is growing in US, but very slowly. Most people participating in the game are immigrants who already know the game, strangley the oldest club in US is in philadelphia and its over a 100 yrs old. To get the game going it needs to be brought to the streets where kids can enjoy it without being so formal about it at first, once they start to enjoy it, the game has a scope to grow.

Jillamanda

:) Here's a good start:-
http://www.freelance.primetap.com/backyard.htm

...and some more basic rules:-

Backyard Cricket

Rules
The rules of backyard cricket will vary with every backyard, but here is a list that many a game is based on.

1.One hand off the house: Catches must be taken one-hand if the ball comes off the house/tree/fence.

2.Six and out: If you hit it over the fence you're out and you have to get the ball.

3.No LBWs: Too contentious, unless dad agrees to umpire.

4.You can't go out first ball: This is to stop your kid brother from blubbing or to give granny a chance.

5.Last man's tucker: You can bat by yourself if you are the last remaining batsman.

6.Tippity run: You have to run if you hit it.

7.Magic wickets: You can run out a batsman batting alone by hitting the wicket at either end.

8.Automatic runs: If you hit certain backyard landmarks - a fence or shed perhaps - you are awarded a prearranged number of runs

MoxPearl

For cricket to grow u need it kinda.. "Embedded" in the culture.. just like cricket and rugby is in new zealand..

Like since everyone in new zealand lives pretty much near a beach.. its a natural thing.. to go down to the beach with your mates/family.. take a cricketbat and a tennis ball .. and/or a rugby ball.. just go swimming.. make some stumps outta driftwood.. and have a day of it..

But i suppose in america that never ever happens...

cbuts

Jillamanda said:
:) Here's a good start:-
http://www.freelance.primetap.com/backyard.htm

...and some more basic rules:-

Backyard Cricket

Rules
The rules of backyard cricket will vary with every backyard, but here is a list that many a game is based on.

1.One hand off the house: Catches must be taken one-hand if the ball comes off the house/tree/fence.

2.Six and out: If you hit it over the fence you're out and you have to get the ball.

3.No LBWs: Too contentious, unless dad agrees to umpire.

4.You can't go out first ball: This is to stop your kid brother from blubbing or to give granny a chance.

5.Last man's tucker: You can bat by yourself if you are the last remaining batsman.

6.Tippity run: You have to run if you hit it.

7.Magic wickets: You can run out a batsman batting alone by hitting the wicket at either end.

8.Automatic runs: If you hit certain backyard landmarks - a fence or shed perhaps - you are awarded a prearranged number of runs
tippity run - sounds so gay. over here we call it tipny

jhans

MoxPearl said:
For cricket to grow u need it kinda.. "Embedded" in the culture.. just like cricket and rugby is in new zealand..

Like since everyone in new zealand lives pretty much near a beach.. its a natural thing.. to go down to the beach with your mates/family.. take a cricketbat and a tennis ball .. and/or a rugby ball.. just go swimming.. make some stumps outta driftwood.. and have a day of it..

But i suppose in america that never ever happens...
Along with 30+ million other people I live in California and have had an opportunity to play many sports on the beach so I don't think living by the sand has alot to do with our failure to play cricket. I can think of numerous reasons why it will be hard to ever get Americans to play cricket but you’d probably stop reading after the first paragraph so for the sake of brevity I do have a somewhat oversimplified explanation. Both cricket and baseball are just formalized evolutions of stick and ball games played throughout history. Either game (with rule changes and proper promotion) could have become “our national pastime” but baseball won out. Americans as a whole like to work on a schedule and need finality. The evolution that became baseball almost always gives us that.

FYI: Due to the changing culture of America I doubt baseball will be anything more than a minor sport in America a hundred years from now.

Dar

I don't see the point in calling them USA when none of them are American and the average age is 35 or something and most of them have played for Jamaica and other Carribean teams. And by the next tournament all these guys would have retired

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
jhans said:
Along with 30+ million other people I live in California and have had an opportunity to play many sports on the beach so I don't think living by the sand has alot to do with our failure to play cricket. I can think of numerous reasons why it will be hard to ever get Americans to play cricket but you’d probably stop reading after the first paragraph so for the sake of brevity I do have a somewhat oversimplified explanation. Both cricket and baseball are just formalized evolutions of stick and ball games played throughout history. Either game (with rule changes and proper promotion) could have become “our national pastime” but baseball won out. Americans as a whole like to work on a schedule and need finality. The evolution that became baseball almost always gives us that.

FYI: Due to the changing culture of America I doubt baseball will be anything more than a minor sport in America a hundred years from now.
Welcome to CricketWeb - glad that the inability to play the game doesn't necessarily prevent people (you and quite a few others) from taking an interest in it.

An interesting aside - in England, there was a guy from Derby in the 1890's went to America and was heavily influenced by baseball - so much so that when he came back to this country, he tried to introduce the sport.

A custom-built stadium was built in his home town, but the sport never took off. A local football club (my team - Derby County) bought the Baseball Ground and played there for a century (they have now moved to Pride Park, but there's not much pride in their play any more).

Perhaps it explains why I like hot dogs.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
One thing that has puzzled me about the US team that perhaps someone could clear up for me is its make up. It seems to be peopled almost exclusively by Caribbean & Sub-Continent ex-pats. These are obviously the natural constituency for cricket in America, so that in itself isn't surprising. However, I do seem to recall that the UAE fielded a team in the 96 World Cup consisting for the most part of Indian & Pakistani ex-pat workers. The ICC then, in their wisdom, introduced a rule saying (I think) that 7 of the team for associate members had to be natives or citizens of the country they represent.

Did I imagine this or has the rule been rescinded since?

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
BoyBrumby said:
One thing that has puzzled me about the US team that perhaps someone could clear up for me is its make up. It seems to be peopled almost exclusively by Caribbean & Sub-Continent ex-pats. These are obviously the natural constituency for cricket in America, so that in itself isn't surprising. However, I do seem to recall that the UAE fielded a team in the 96 World Cup consisting for the most part of Indian & Pakistani ex-pat workers. The ICC then, in their wisdom, introduced a rule saying (I think) that 7 of the team for associate members had to be natives or citizens of the country they represent.

Did I imagine this or has the rule been rescinded since?
ummm....

ya mum.