• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Walk or not walk

fredfertang

As I always made a point of walking if I feathered the ball to the keeper I always felt I deserved a bit more benefit of the doubt with the lbws, although I do accept that taking guard on middle and then shuffling across further didn't help me

Biryani Pillow

As I always made a point of walking if I feathered the ball to the keeper I always felt I deserved a bit more benefit of the doubt with the lbws, although I do accept that taking guard on middle and then shuffling across further didn't help me
I had one last season, The ball goes through to the keeper who is standing up to a pace bowler. There is a huge appeal (this team would). As I'm about to declare "not out" the batsman walks off. My colleague and I meet for the between wicket chat "I heard nothing" he says, neither did I - and there was no chance to see a deflection as he had feathered it.

I saw the batsman, who I''ve umpired many times - and we get on very well - at the League Dinner a few weeks later.

"Do I get a freebie next year :unsure:?"

"Sorry, it doesn't work that way:D".

Biryani Pillow

Heart of granite (or a former bowler)
Former bowler but a warm, gentle heart.

If I gave a 'wrong' decision in his favour because of that, or in favour of a friend because they were a friend, or against someone who'd been an arse all game, I wouldn't umpire again,

That's the way it is.

fredfertang

Of course, but the benefit of the doubt is a flexible concept - for example in a Magistrates Court if you're middle class its a never-ending concept, whereas if you're a homeless drunk it's virtually unobtainable - whereas in front of a Snaresbrook jury the opposite is true

Furball

Evil Scotsman
What a feeble reply.

Funny how the better players appreciate the umpires, lesser one blame them and come out with comments like 'umpires are the worst'
At least it's not as bad as insecure officials insisting they're the most important people on the field (you aren't.)

Biryani Pillow

At least it's not as bad as insecure officials insisting they're the most important people on the field (you aren't.)
We don't.

I take the line that it's the player's game and I do what is needed to facilitate that. I wkill play the minimum roll required.

Seems to work pretty well.

fredfertang

The only thing that used to really piss me off about umpires was that I never ever knew one to buy a round

Stapel

If you play low level club cricket, which sadly is all I could ever aspire to, you generally have your own teammates umpiring, and in those circumstances not walking is tantamount to cheating - I can see that it is different when you have professional umpires, and technology that might correct mistakes, but for me it still goes against the grain - if a batsman has feathered the ball and he knows that is the issue then he should walk - and I don't believe this bollocks about batsmen not being sure themselves- I have certainly never been in any doubt when I have got a nick, however faint
By that logic you should stand your ground if you smash it into your pads and get given lbw.
How do you work that one out?
I would explain the opposing captain I had hit it first, upon which he would reconsider the appeal.

Burner

In my League we are getting very heavy on player dissent - one of our Panel does Minor Counties as well and is VERY hot on this. I've issued two discipline reports this summer (with my colleague) - one for the batsman 'showing his bat' after being given LBW, the other for the batsman shouting "You must be joking!" having been given. A tip for players - apologise immediately after the game, it may save you a ban.
Man, that's harsh on the players. Reading this gives me a sense of appreciation for football referees and the **** they have to put up with daily. Also the players walk scot-free after all the ****-show they create. While I in no way condone the behaviour of football players, I do think that banning cricketers for showing minor dissent like this is way overkill.

Stapel

Man, that's harsh on the players. Reading this gives me a sense of appreciation for football referees and the **** they have to put up with daily. Also the players walk scot-free after all the ****-show they create. While I in no way condone the behaviour of football players, I do think that banning cricketers for showing minor dissent like this is way overkill.
As un umpire or referee in any sport it is advisable to shut your ears after a big decision for 30 seconds or so.

I also think there is absolutely nothing wrong with CALMLY and POLITELY explaining to an umpire why you would disagree.

Biryani Pillow

This is very good level Club cricket.

The players know how they should behave and are held to a standard.

Oh, and it works,,,,,,,,,,

Also, should the player apologise straight after the game a ban, if it is a first offence, is unlikely. I suspect those who did apologise have not reoffended.

If I were a soccer referee I would tell the captains that, should I make a decision they didn't like I would explain it once to them. If they kept moaning they would be in trouble - as would any player who expressed an uninvited opinion.

Basically, that is what happens in rugby union - where even the greatest player refers to the referee as 'sir' btw. For a full contact sport the general discipline is very good.

Lillian Thomson

This is very good level Club cricket.

The players know how they should behave and are held to a standard.

Oh, and it works,,,,,,,,,,

Also, should the player apologise straight after the game a ban, if it is a first offence, is unlikely. I suspect those who did apologise have not reoffended.

If I were a soccer referee I would tell the captains that, should I make a decision they didn't like I would explain it once to them. If they kept moaning they would be in trouble - as would any player who expressed an uninvited opinion.

Basically, that is what happens in rugby union - where even the greatest player refers to the referee as 'sir' btw. For a full contact sport the general discipline is very good.
I don't think rugby union is a great example of how to referee a sport. The standards are terrible. The discipline is good only because of the draconian attitude of the officials. I'd prefer it if players respected officials because they're good at their job rather than because they're more willing to dump on you than other sports.

Last edited: