• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Was the CWC Final 2019 the best ODI ever?

Was the CWC Final 2019 the best ODI ever?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

srbhkshk

Never a day which was so heartbreaking and so great at the same time - both my favorites lost today.

PikeyB

Best final I can think of , off hand .

But what about that low scoring first round squeaker between NZ and Australia in 2015... or that England -India draw in 2011 ? Amazing games in their own ways .

I think in my perfect game , runs are a little easier off the bat and the pitch is a bit harder ...but the ball moved just right today .

stephen

You know what, this poll just goes to show how much better ODI cricket is when scores are in the mid 200s than in the mid 300s. Other than the 434 game, the most memorable ODIs in the history of cricket have had scores in the mid 200s, with a delicate balance between bat and ball. Batsmen scoring in spite of good bowling, rather than because of poor bowling and flat decks.

Honestly this has been the best world cup and mostly because the balance between bat and ball has been the best it's been since the 90s. There hasn't been the dramatic escalation in scores that the 2015 world cup and the last 4 years of ODIs has seen.

It's been brilliant from a cricket purists point of view.

Now if only England could get a better timezone FFS.

add_sauce

This ODI is kinda of like ordering a beautiful cut of Steak from a international top quality, Michelin Star Steak house.

Everything is perfect but right at the very end they swap out the Steak for a slimy, wet piece of dog ****.

Kirkut

I'd still go for 1983 finals.

Real underdog story and more inspiring than Shaolin Soccer.

Burgey

Yeah it surpasses the 1999 semi final imo.

Sort of interesting in an unimportant coincidental way that both ended with clutch run outs.

Bolo

Maybe just edges the 99 semi out. The main reason that game is so well thought of was was maximum drama on the big stage, but this game easily pips it in that regard. But waugh/warne/pollock added an extra touch-games with individual stand out performances always feel a bit better to me for some reason.

Tricky comparing it to the 438 game. It lacked the context, and has certainly lost some of its veneer with the bat domininated junk we have been seeing recently, but in isolation at the time it was probably a better game.

Days of Grace

For an English fan or a neutral, sure.

For a NZ fan, pretty much the worst ODI ever. I will turn away from any reference made to it in the future. How can I not?

SteveNZ

For an English fan or a neutral, sure.

For a NZ fan, pretty much the worst ODI ever. I will turn away from any reference made to it in the future. How can I not?
Still the greatest, even though we lost. It revealed so much about our character and ability.