• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

What the...?

krkode

Did any of you guys see a version of this: :O

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/cms.dll/html/uncomp/articleshow?msid=42001493

Aussie stars flunk drug test

TIMES NEWS NETWORK[ TUESDAY, APRIL 01, 2003 12:05:55 AM ]

It might be by default, but India could still win World Cup 2003. Australian pace bowler Brett Lee and wicket-keeper Adam Gilchrist have tested drug-positive following random tests conducted by the ICC.
_
This shocking piece of news broke out late last night, at a time when the players were busy at a private party at Lee’s residence. ‘‘Standrimol, the chemical detected in the urine samples of these players, is one among five substances banned by the ICC,’’ reveals a senior official of cricket’s apex body, ‘‘The samples were collected 20 minutes before the final at Johannesburg on March 23.’’
_
Following the Shane Warne incident, the latest developments come as a body blow to the Australian Cricket Board (ACB). The players, on their part, plead innocence —just like Warne. ‘‘I simply took a tablet for an upset stomach. I had no idea that the tablet actually contained a banned substance,’’ contends Gilchrist. But the Australian Sports Drugs Agency (ASDA), which tested the second urine samples of the players to reconfirm the ICC’s independent findings —that the players have breached clause 4.1B of the ICC’s anti- doping policy — has another version: ‘‘While we have conveyed the results of our findings to the players, they have demanded a copy of the lab report.’’
_
According to Lee, ‘‘These are serious charges and I would not like to say anything till I am convinced about the authenticity of the findings.’’ Going by the ASDA rule book, the players have 24 hours to appeal to the Administrative Appeals Tribunal. At the same time, the ACB is open to forfeiting Australia’s right to the World Cup if the ICC demands such a step.
_
‘‘We don’t want the world to say that Australia cheats to win,’’ says ACB chairman Dick Pound. While Indian cricket captain Sourav Ganguly could not be contacted for comment, there is reason to believe that the dream of his team —and that of a billion Indians — could still be fulfilled.
HAHAHA! Look at the date it was written :P

Top_Cat

SO not funny. It's a subtle dig and not really much fun at all, in my opinion of course. :)

I don't really have a problem with it as such but just didn't find it funny or ironic or (most importantly for an April Fools joke) clever.

krkode

Neither did I. Just for a moment, I thought it might be true...but then realized all the dumb "we're closing" "this is coming up" fools that have been going around the internet all through yesterday and It occured to me ;)

V Reddy

I have also read a report on the same day saying that ICC has started a program according to which a triangular series will be played in USA every year. This year will feature India and WI and AUS. All the money derived will go to helping USA cricket . I read it on CricInfo in the WebLog. I thought it was an April Fool thing too.

Anil

A masterly explanation of why the WC2003 ended as it did:

Warning: Not for people with weak hearts and stomachs

How the World Cup 2003 was won :
Super Six : Australia, India, Kenya, Sri Lanka, New Zealand and Zimbabwe
Only countries whose name ended with A went into the Semi-Finals
1. Australia
2. India
3. Kenya
4. Sri Lanka
(New Zealand and Zimbabwe did not have A at their end)

Only countries whose names ended with IA went into the Final
Australia
India
(Kenya and Sri Lanka did not have IA at their end)

Who took the Cup ? : Kisne World Cup "Lia" ? Austra"lia" !
Who gave the Cup ? : Kisne World Cup "Dia" ? In"dia" !

For those who don't know, "Lia" in Hindi means "took" and "Dia" means "gave"!!!

Can you beat that for logic and reason?:wow: :wow:

Anil

marc71178 said:
Yes, Australia best side in the world by a long way, therefore they won! ;)
Not even close, man...!!!:P You just haven't got the right mindset for that....:P