• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Who's better?

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
For a 5 Test series at home vs. England.

Wade or Paine?
Renshaw or Bancroft?
Maxwell or SMarsh?

Curious to see the numbers

Burgey

Paine
Renshaw
Maxwell

Though I reckon Bancroft at six and Nev keeping is the right call overall. If they wanted some overs for a fifth bowler, then Cartwright at six for mine

Compton

Paine
Bancroft
Maxwell

Paine is a better gloveman than Wade, and is in better nick with the bat.

Bancroft has scored huge runs in recent weeks, and Renshaw looks like he’s not confident he’s holding it from the right end.

Maxwell is doing fine and Smarshy’s gonna Smarsh.

Redbacks

Wade - Brings out the Lyon beast mode
Renshaw - Only becuase Bancroft hasn't played a test, he's probably a more talented batsman.
Maxwell

Second Spitter

Bancroft -- I still have not heard or read anything that even vaguely resembles a criticism of his wicket-keeping.
Renshaw
Maxwell

TheJediBrah

For a 5 Test series at home vs. England.

Wade or Paine?
Renshaw or Bancroft?
Maxwell or SMarsh?

Curious to see the numbers
Paine by a big margin (just because Wade is that bad)
Bancroft comfortably as well
Maxwell/Marsh hard to decide. For no. 6 I'd go with Maxwell just for his whole package.

Bijed

Paine - I don't really know much about him, but I imagine he's much better with the gloves than Wade, and I don't know about his batting in general, but he can't be far enough below Wade's recent form to wipe out the difference behind the stumps imo

Bancroft - Basically just on recent form. Do feel for Renshaw though

Marsh - Been doing better than Maxwell with the bat, recently, I believe. I know Maxwell's got his bowling, but that's not as much of a factor in Aus I'd say.

Howe_zat

Paine hasn't been keeping wicket for Tasmania according to the Beeb. Makes the idea he's a better keeper than those picked rather fanciful

Gob

Paine - I don't really know much about him, but I imagine he's much better with the gloves than Wade, and I don't know about his batting in general, but he can't be far enough below Wade's recent form to wipe out the difference behind the stumps imo

Bancroft - Basically just on recent form. Do feel for Renshaw though

Marsh - Been doing better than Maxwell with the bat, recently, I believe. I know Maxwell's got his bowling, but that's not as much of a factor in Aus I'd say.
Paine looks like a very good bataman regardless of his form. I used to like him a lot but that was 7 years ago. If its the same Paine, I'd pick him in a heartbeat but time can change things

TheJediBrah

Paine hasn't been keeping wicket for Tasmania according to the Beeb. Makes the idea he's a better keeper than those picked rather fanciful
Not really. I commented several times over last month how ironic it was having Paine playing in the same team as Wade yet Wade was keeping, given that Paine is a far superior keeper.

Victor Ian

Far out. This is hard to take. Here's me thinking that they had selected the Marsh that bowls a bit. Instead they have picked the crappy Marsh who can only do one thing and then never does it when needed. He will score a century in easy conditions somewhere and secure his failure for the next set of away series. Likely to get injured too and ruin a run some other player, like Maxwell could have made use of. These Marsh guys are a virus on the Australian team. Whenever someone gets a chance to play a few games a Marsh comes along, takes their spot and then fails. They are exactly like their father. In the end, they will play one great 300 partnership and I will like them, but at the moment, they suck.

Gob

Far out. This is hard to take. Here's me thinking that they had selected the Marsh that bowls a bit. Instead they have picked the crappy Marsh who can only do one thing and then never does it when needed. He will score a century in easy conditions somewhere and secure his failure for the next set of away series. Likely to get injured too and ruin a run some other player, like Maxwell could have made use of. These Marsh guys are a virus on the Australian team. Whenever someone gets a chance to play a few games a Marsh comes along, takes their spot and then fails. They are exactly like their father. In the end, they will play one great 300 partnership and I will like them, but at the moment, they suck.
Marsh has played some insanely good knocks tbh

S.Kennedy

Cricket Australia's obsession with various Marshes is the equivalent of the ECB and their love of Finns and Ballances.

Bijed

I know he has his many downsides, but I think SMarsh gets too much flak on here. It's not even that I think he's particularly brilliant or anything, but people really seem to have it in for him sometimes. I'm not saying I'd have had him in the squad (I haven't paid enough attention to the shield to particularly know who ought to take the no.6 spot) if I were an Aussie selector, but for the upcoming series, I really do think he wins an a straight shoot-out between him and Maxwell.

Anyway, if he's rubbish for the first two tests or gets injured or whatever it's not as if you can't call up Maxwell anyway

Last edited: