• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

World Cup 2023

Red Hill

The artist formerly known as Monk
Can't imagine West Indies hosting anything as big as a World Cup anytime soon. Didn't the '07 edition almost bankrupt them? I know they had problems with their Chinese contractors. SA is probably not too far behind them.
Didnt the power go out in the final or something?

TheJediBrah

Theoretically all the 07 infrastructure should be there in the Caribbean still. Set up some flood lights and it'll all be good.
I'm not sure the infrastructure was much good even during the WC, let alone decades later. There were plenty of issues throughout the tournament IIRC.

World Cups should just rotate between Aus, Eng and India. No need to go anywhere else.

Shri

Too early but here is what my early wish is:

1. Prithvi Shaw
2. Rohit Sharma*
3. Virat Kohli
4. Shubman Gill
5. Rishabh Pant+
6. Hardik Pandya
7. Ravi Jadeja
8. Kamlesh Nagarkoti
9. Shivam Mavi
10. Kuldeep Yadav
11. Jasprit Bumrah
Shaw
Gill
Kohli
Rohit
Iyer
Pant
Pandya
Jadeja
Kuldeep
Shami/Bhuvi/Avesh/Mavi/Nagarkoti
Bumrah

Kohli will refuse to move down to 4 and make Rohit bat there instead. Before being knocked out in the first round followed by his dropping. Will go back to domestic for a year, learn some humility and he will come back and bat for 2 or 3 years as the world's best batter before retiring.

trundler

Be interesting if tensions on the border flare up again. PCB will probably protest at some point.

Red Hill

The artist formerly known as Monk
Darcy Short
Ben McDermott
Will Pukovski
Steve Smith
Ashton Turner
Jake Lehmann
Alex Carey +*
Sean Abbott
Pat Cummins
Adam Zampa
Billy Stanlake
Darcy Short
Ben McDermott
Will Pukovski
Steve Smith
Ashton Turner
Jake Lehmann
Alex Carey +*
Pat Cummins
Jhai Richardson
Adam Zampa
Billy Stanlake

Forgot Jhai Richardson

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
West Indies is the best time zone for the WC, I’d personally like them all to be there

Howe_zat

World tournament hosts this decade

2011 WC - India
2012 T20 - Sri Lanka
2013 CT - England
2014 T20 - Bangladesh
2015 WC - Australia
2016 T20 - India
2017 CT - England
2019 WC - England
2020 T20 - Australia
2021 T20 - India
2023 WC - India

Going one way, isn't it?

zorax

likes this
TBF - Pakistan is off limits, Bangladesh and Sri Lanka are lacking infrastructure to host events alone (and are facing safety concerns too), the WICB nearly went bankrupt the last time they tried to host a World Cup in the Caribbean, and NZ are finding it too expensive to host Test Matches atm, so a global tournament is out of the question.

Really only leaves SA as a viable option that's not being explored. Might be cost related as well though TBF.

Obv the reasons countries are struggling financially is in part thanks to to Big 3 anyways so idk why I just went through that thought exercise to begin with

vcs

India and England taking turns to host every event is incredibly boring. Why can't they make it a rule that WT20Is get hosted only in Associate Nations? Surely the cost can't be too exorbitant for a 2-3 week event, and Indian expat fans would turn up even in Antarctica to make the atmosphere good..

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
India and England taking turns to host every event is incredibly boring. Why can't they make it a rule that WT20Is get hosted only in Associate Nations? Surely the cost can't be too exorbitant for a 2-3 week event, and Indian expat fans would turn up even in Antarctica to make the atmosphere good..
Genuine question, which associates have the stadia required for such a tournament? And which associates would have locals attend games not involving their own sides?

Not saying there aren’t any - it’s a genuine question.

vcs

If they can run T20 leagues, I'm assuming they should be able to do it. I have no idea though.

zorax

likes this
Genuine question, which associates have the stadia required for such a tournament? And which associates would have locals attend games not involving their own sides?

Not saying there aren’t any - it’s a genuine question.
Nepal apparently has huge local crowds for domestic games and their franchise T20 comp. Should have lots of people turn out for all games. Dunnow how many grounds they have or if they're international standard though.

UAE definitely has facilities and a good number of people will show up for all games. Is an established hub for international cricket.

Ireland/Scotland/Netherlands could maybe jointly host a tournament. Don't know what crowds would be like.

Malaysia/Indonesia/Singapore might be able to host a tournament together too, but the local interest will definitely be low.

Could probably host a tournament in the Africas not including SA, but that brings other problems